Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I always think the big test is who would be interested in a manager if he became available. Can anybody see another premier league team take an interest in Smith? It won’t happen. He will eventually get sacked by villa and then never manage in the PL again. 

Brighton would be a good fit for him if they lose Potter in near future.

He wouldn't get a look in at top half team though e.g Leicester if Rodgers goes somewhere else.

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, if you have two players exactly as good, you either hardly play one, and he gets the hump, or you give them both 19 starts each, and they both get the hump. Or you shoehorn them into the same team and this is what happens.

A young striker with potential to be a future main striker would have been a good option for the same reason we wouldn't sign a keeper as good as Martinez to be his backup., 

I understand your point but different players bring different types of game, it’s not as straightforward as 50:50. The main reason for so called back up players is to cover injuries or disastrous drops in form. GK is a unique position you can’t play a goalie out of position or change formation to have two goal keepers. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that it’s not an easy thing to get right. If I knew the answer I wouldn’t be here talking to you and I’d have a much nicer car sitting outside a much bigger house!

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I disagree. I cant imagine a replacement coach waiting in the wings having been primed by Purslow and co.  Its not that easy to do .  I think most likely it would be an overseas unknown.

With how Spurs struggled to get a new manager, that worries me because they would be seen in a better light than us and ended up with 6th choice Nuno.  I know it maybe the Levy factor but it would be a little worrying even though I trust Purslow and our Owners.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Walsall and Brentford were similar in terms of results - win a few then a defeat or two then win again so on and so forth.

You could be onto something here. We have always said it to take the P***. But Brentford were a very inconsistent midtable Championship team with Smith at the helm. After a couple of seasons without him, they are now in the Premier League, playing some of the best football we have  seen for a promoted side, (gave Liverpool a hell of a game), even with selling there best players year after year. Coincidence maybe?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Brighton would be a good fit for him if they lose Potter in near future.

He wouldn't get a look in at top half team though e.g Leicester if Rodgers goes somewhere else.

Potter is on another level to Smith. If Potter leaves Brighton will replace him with someone much better than Dean. 

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we need to ask why those two suddenly upped sticks with nowhere else to go. Terry you perhaps understand - but ROK days before a new season ?  

Yeah strange one that, even for Terry with no real place to go. But O'Kelly, yeah. got me thinking?

• Like 1

Look at the team so far this season.

Martinez: Mostly the same as last season, few.small.wobbles but still a quality keeper. verdict - unchanged 

Mings: Team's have worked out they just have to press Mings to stop Villa from playing out from the back. He doesn't push the team forward as he can't pass more than a few yards, is making mistakes weekly, looks a shadow of what he can be. Verdict - worse

Axel: Doesn't do anything very well, I thought his strengths would be driving the ball forward and better passing, but he's hardly shown any of those things. Verdict - worse than he was when last on loan.

Konsa: Even Mr reliable seems all over the place, getting beaten and losing possession in dangerous areas. Verdict - has gone backwards by years.

Cash: Only player who looks comfortable going forward, has been ok defensively but caught out of position a few times. Verdict - about the same.

Targett: just dreadful, own goals and penalties are piling up, and clueless without Grealish go pass to going forward. Verdict - gone from our best player to our worse...

Doug: awesome one minute dire the next. Verdict - same

McGinn: awesome one minute costing is goals the next. Verdict - better without making a positive difference to results.

Nakamba: same

Anwar: same

Buendia: compared to his Norwich form looks a shadow of what he is meant to be.

Ramsey: definitely improved and keeps improving

Watkins: dire, selfish, doesn't pass or cross just takes on players and loses possession easily, even his work rate has gone down. verdict - has regressed massively no idea why he gets picked for England 

Ings: started ok but wasted in a formation that provides zero device due to lack of wingers.

Verdict. Maybe one player this season has got better, most of the team have been average to terrible with a few glimpes of their old selves.

Dean must now make some bold changes to turn this team around, not just formation but multiple players need dropping.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

You could be onto something here. We have always said it to take the P***. But Brentford were a very inconsistent midtable Championship team with Smith at the helm. After a couple of seasons without him, they are now in the Premier League, playing some of the best football we have  seen for a promoted side, (gave Liverpool a hell of a game), even with selling there best players year after year. Coincidence maybe?

forget he got us in the prem and we are still here and played some of the best football ever??? im angry but please.

37 minutes ago, hippo said:

We could have brought a 2nd striker who might feasibly form a partnership with our existing striker.  We brought one - whilst a good player in his own right always looked unlikely to be able to play alongside OW. Its one or the other - long term both can't stay at the club. 

Fair point. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah strange one that, even for Terry with no real place to go. But O'Kelly, yeah. got me thinking?

Behind the scenes, alot of fans have discussed this to be fair.

Is Deano stubborn?

Fair play for surrounding himself with the right people, but does he listen to them when it counts the most?

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That we are completely reliant on one player again? I thought we were supposed to be knocking that on the head? 

Well, we also have Traore out, and Buendia was off on his covid adventures. What were we meant to do, have Watkins and El Ghazi a sour wide options?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alot of us thought that last game.

Wolves? Nothing wrong with the first 80 mins of that game. 99 times out of 100 we win that. Just a mental collapse though. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And when Bailey is fit and starting next game and the formation is changed unfortunately too many fans won't see the connection... 

I reckon, everyone, including myself, probably need a few days to relax, reflect, and calm down.

We are probably running high on emotion as it stands.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That we are completely reliant on one player again? I thought we were supposed to be knocking that on the head? 

Looks like we've tried to mix it up and it's failed 

But in fairness Watkins and Buendia aren't firing yet, I think due to injuries and a poor pre season, they have no form

Bailey will make a huge difference to this team, I think traore would make enough of a difference too

We get Bailey - Ings - Traore upfront next month and then see how poor we look, I really think we will look like a completely different team and that's when I'll judge him, this team will swing a few times this season, thus lull won't last forever 

Â