Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, onmeedson said:

That was a good Ipswich side that year and it looked like we had blown it, thank god Brazil and his boys bottled it.

They were the darlings then, under Bobby Robson......beat us 3 times that season 2 league games and 1 cup....but Shankly said any team that wins 26 games in a season deserves the title.

Middlesbrough came to the rescue.

28 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

The amount of sand on the pitch must have made it like running through treacle and the stamina levels of long distance runners. Dessy bremner could have won the epsom derby the amount of groung he covered and no stats to prove it.

but it was green sand.....makes all the difference.lol

On 09/02/2021 at 20:34, DaveAV1 said:

Thanks Doug. Proper tackling, proper shorts, proper hair cuts, proper football. Just proper!!

It's a weird thing watching their ability on the ball. They were obviously excellent footballers, but whenever they have the ball it's all very quick tippy toed if you know what I mean. But I guess it could be due to the pitch quality and what tackles was deemed acceptable at that time. 

On 09/02/2021 at 02:08, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have spent the evening watching extended highlights of games from 80/81. The similarities are remarkable. 

What i love about most of that footage, is the lack of diving, the lack of dissent shown the referee when he got a decision wrong or didn't give a foul, the fact the referee actually awarded an obstruction against a defender who was clearly making no attempt to play the ball. The beautiful game...as it was.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What i love about most of that footage, is the lack of diving, the lack of dissent shown the referee when he got a decision wrong or didn't give a foul, the fact the referee actually awarded an obstruction against a defender who was clearly making no attempt to play the ball. The beautiful game...as it was.

I did not enjoy the back passes to the goalie though. 

6 hours ago, TRO said:

but it was green sand.....makes all the difference.lol

Yep, we had the best team and best sand in the country! I'd forgotten just how good Tony Morley was. 

TRO....do you remember Eamon Deacy? He was our LB in that era. Am I correct to say that he gave up football to move back to Ireland at such a young age to become a farmer?

Well that lad could tackle! I recall wingers moving to the other side of the pitch just to avoid him. Such a waste of a career imo

On 10/02/2021 at 13:24, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The game has changed slightly, defences were a bit more rigid so they must have found it much more difficult to cope with how dynamic Saunders Villa were.

The off the ball movement is superb. Little dink up to head of Withe or the feet of Shaw, one touch for control and bang, bang bang, we're away. Boggles my mind that we weren't seen as much of a 'footballing side' back then when as recently as 2015 we would be hailed as revolutionary. Described as 'hard working' rather than incisive and relentless. 

I say I don't care about style, but if I had to pick one to watch forever then 80/81 and 20/21 are my cup of tea. 

How about the 76/77 side ?, best attacking Villa side I have ever seen live

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

How about the 76/77 side ?, best attacking Villa side I have ever seen live

Yep...76/77 was a really great team to watch. As they used to chant in the Holte attack,attack,attack

Just now, Villa 59 said:

Yep...76/77 was a really great team to watch. As they used to chant in the Holte attack,attack,attack

and boy they did, they used to literally hammer teams

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

They were the darlings then, under Bobby Robson......beat us 3 times that season 2 league games and 1 cup....but Shankly said any team that wins 26 games in a season deserves the title.

Middlesbrough came to the rescue.

Did Middlesbrough come to our rescue though? Without checking I seem to recall that we won the league by 4 points (only 2pts for a win them days). I'm happy to be corrected though!

On 09/02/2021 at 02:08, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have spent the evening watching extended highlights of games from 80/81. The similarities are remarkable. 

Brilliant to see this again.

Kenny Swain =Matty Cash

Allan Evans =Mings

Garry Shaw=Watkins

Morley <Grealish

Cowans> Luiz

Bremner>Trezaguet

Mortimer>?=Mcginn

Rimmer=Martinez

Few things that struck me was how Morley and Grealish have some similarities especially carrying the ball and cutting in.

That fast direct attacking is quite similar to team now.

I had forgotten how beautiful the Trinity Stand was.It was a crime to not replace it properly.

5 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

I did not enjoy the back passes to the goalie though. 

I don’t know how anyone that went 1-0 up ever failed to win.  Take lead, pass between defender and keeper forever more.  The end.

Edited by Wainy316

1 hour ago, onmeedson said:

Think they had to beat boro to stay in contention.

We needed a point at Highbury or they had to drop points at Middlesbrough. I remember thinking at halftime, we’ve come all this way and we’re not going to do it. Two nil down and Ipswich a goal up, I was deeply depressed, like everyone else. Then the news came through from lads with radios that Bosco Jankovic, the greatest player to never play for The Villa had scored and then scored again! After that it was bedlam. What a day, what a season, what a team!

As an aside, I didn’t realise that Bosco had died back in 1993 at the age of 42. I believe it was during the war in Yugoslavia. He’d retired from football and became a lawyer. Such a waste, very sad. A belated RIP from a very grateful Villa fan. 

• Like 4

Â