Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

When i think about it i agree with the attacking manager point. We just need someone better who can continue with what Smith has tried to do.

If we hire a coach like Allardyce we would have to build a completely different team. We need to stay on the same course but change the wheels.

Yes agreed which is why someone like Bielsa who goes and gets his players attacking by force I think would be perfect.

I say we need to up our game if we survive only way that's happening if Smith goes and like you said we bring in someone who knows how to get the system going properly, efficiently as possible and with as little struggle as possible.

I don't want to see this style of football stop, I just want it to actually happen in the premier without all the stupidness each game that is happening to us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes agreed which is why someone like Bielsa who goes and gets his players attacking by force I think would be perfect.

I say we need to up our game if we survive only way that's happening if Smith goes and like you said we bring in someone who knows how to get the system going properly, efficiently as possible and with as little struggle as possible.

I don't want to see this style of football stop, I just want it to actually happen in the premier without all the stupidness each game that is happening to us.

Bielsa would be fantastic for us if we went down and Leeds have their annual wobble which is possible.

• Like 1

Bent now saying bes losing faith in Smirh, i think its actually really startinh to happen now.

It's been a long season, a lot of downs with very few ups and for some reason I can see Smith's sacking come seasons end even if he keeps us up. There's enough evidence to suggest Smith has gone far enough with us, will the owners give him another transfer window, I don't think they will if they can find better and hopefully they are looking right now.

Would you give Smith another Transfer Window if Smith keeps us in the premier??? I've made my decision and the answer is no for me..

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Bielsa would be fantastic for us if we went down and Leeds have their annual wobble which is possible.

I'd sack Smith now and pay Bielsa and his staff to jump on board right now, that's what I'd do.

Leeds are already at a point they struggle to pay for Bielsa and his staff, yeah they'd miss him like crazy and I'd do it anyway just to get at the leeds fans lol

More so I think he'd be fantastic here at Villa and would continue the attacking football on that Smith started.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except the fact Bielsa has failed many of his jobs including losing a big lead last season. Smith got promoted from a more impossible position than Bielsa threw away 

Wasn't that partly because of the new manager Bounce that comes into effect a lot of the time when someone new comes in. Yes Smith got us promoted but do i think he'd better than Bielsa, not a chance in hell. I think if that Leeds team played us now they would wipe the floor with us as sad as it sounds they would. Which then I ask myself this question why would they beat us now and not then, the answer is simple, the teams. Our team compared to the championship team is not as good I don't think. Maybe we should of kept a few of those player we let go on and at least first seen if they were capable of the premier instead of just throwing them away before football started back up. I think we had a very strong side for the championship, the players new the league and once they had that right coach In place they were set to take us up.

I always ask myself could the championship team have got us survival in the premier, I think yes they could of. Look at how the teams we came up with have spent hardly anything compared to us and were the worst team out there. Imagine if we'd of achieved survival with last season's team, we could of then this season slowly start to swap the cogs out with a few players at a time. Sure we'd of spent a fair bit still but wouldn't that of been better than spending what we have spent on a team that can't  make survival a thing or win games because Most of our players are to inexperienced.

It's crazy but I think Adomah would of done good on the Wings better than what Trez, Ghazi and jota have for us. 

Edited by Dave-R

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Wasn't that partly because of the new manager Bounce that comes into effect a lot of the time when someone new comes in. Yes Smith got us promoted but do i think he'd better than Bielsa, not a chance in hell. I think if that Leeds team played us now they would wipe the floor with us as sad as it sounds they would. Which then I ask myself this question why would they beat us now and not then, the answer is simple, the teams. Our team compared to the championship team is not as good I don't think. Maybe we should of kept a few of those player we let go on and at least first seen if they were capable of the premier instead of just throwing them away before football started back up. I think we had a very strong side for the championship, the players new the league and once they had that right coach In place they were set to take us up.

I always ask myself could the championship team have got us survival in the premier, I think yes they could of. Look at how the teams we came up with have spent hardly anything compared to us and were the worst team out there.

It's crazy but I think Adomah would of done good on the Wings better than what Trez, Ghazi and jota have for us. 

Bielsa was a new manager at Leeds as well so new manager bounce a shitty excuse. 

Leeds lost 2-0 to Cardiff yesterday, Villa lost to Chelsea its a big difference. Adomah also cant get in that Cardiff team

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That is absolutely spot on for me, couldn't of said it any better.

Question is if Smith is acting so blind, how the hell does he start seeing things with clarity??

The bloke doesn't want to admit defeat in his formation and while ever that's going on I think it's going to be more of the same.

Surely Smith can see that his system may not be right for now and it may workout in a season or few, getting the right players in place who can go work a decent formation and bring some wins should be the priority here at Villa.

I don't think Dean has the natural aggression or assertiveness in his make up for the players to mirror or emulate.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bielsa was a new manager at Leeds as well so new manager bounce a shitty excuse. 

Leeds lost 2-0 to Cardiff yesterday, Villa lost to Chelsea its a big difference. Adomah also cant get in that Cardiff team

Adomah started yesterday ...but I agree he would of been awful in the Prem league he was already on the wane for us last season

27 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I always ask myself could the championship team have got us survival in the premier, I think yes they could of. Look at how the teams we came up with have spent hardly anything compared to us and were the worst team out there. Imagine if we'd of achieved survival with last season's team, we could of then this season slowly start to swap the cogs out with a few players at a time. Sure we'd of spent a fair bit still but wouldn't that of been better than spending what we have spent on a team that can't  make survival a thing or win games because Most of our players are to inexperienced.

Tammy was so instrumental in our promotion......we was bound to miss him and we have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Mendes has been there since summer 2016 and in the first transfer window they signed 12 players and most of them were dross. Nuno was there the following summer and their signings noticeably improved. 

Mendes brought Nuno in. Did you know Nuno was his first ever client as a player? Their relationship goes back a very long way.

Perhaps he thought...if I bring Nuno in, I can get better players. Then said "Hey Nuno, go to this shite little hole in England and I'll bring you loads of great players"

If you even speak to Wolves fans who know more about their club than us, they would say Nuno has been a key factor in getting some of those players over the line as those players wanted to go and play for him.

I've spoken to Wolves fans, it's always a frustrating conversation because sadly only one of our clubs has a super agent running the show and making them into a Champions League club.

Mendes brought Nuno in. Mendes brought the players in.

Of course they want to go and play for Nuno, he's brilliant.

You're mistaken if you don't think bringing in a high-profile manager of that calibre helped attract some of the players they have.

Mendes brought Nuno in.

You can't compare us to Wolves. They have Mendes, we don't.

Their success has all come from Mendes, nowhere else.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Look at the team yesterday. In goal, we have a guy, who smith tried to replace the first chance he got. 

We have a back up cb starting at rb and a back up lb starting at cb. Hourihane, who should be a squad player, in midfield and a kid who was playing non league 4 years ago, starting up front. 

Their keeper cost £75 million. 

And smith is a disaster because we didn't go toe to toe with them. 

Same people just talking themselves into a circle. They'll read this and still just refuse to even see the point, I find it funny.

NO, WE SHOULD BE WINNING. THEY JUST HAVE TO TRY HARDER.

Proper boomer mindset. I can't believe people have watched Smith manage us for 18 months, and watch him rip us the shreds with Brentford every time we played them, and think he's telling the team to not pass it and clearing in the woods it long constantly. He has a squad of players unfit for purpose.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Steve Bruce after watching our first two games back can probably repeat what has happened so far. We play with one up top who may be difficult to play against but isn't really a goal threat so can be left to the two CBs to cover. He can push his full backs further up the pitch so his wide players can pin our full backs right back and the our wide men are on defensive rather than offensive. Then we don't really have an out ball because the midfielders don't want it and Davis has no support.

If he doesn't change it for Wednesday then he obviously hasn't got a clue.

If the team do what Smith wants, we'll trash Newcastle. One way traffic for the last six or seven meetings between a Dean Smith side with a plan and Steve Bruce side without a plan.

There is the caveat here of their players being better, but we can do it if the team will show some bollocks and pass the ball.

Stop being cowards and hoofing it because it's easy. Pass and move. It'll take about 3 sequences and Newcastle will retreat back into their box like they have all season and we'll beat them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I apologise if this is the drink talking but Smith and Terry just need to go.  And that other fool in the "coaching" setup.  One plan and if that fails were screwed.  Changing a couple of players after 70 mins but sticking to the same formation is absolute suicide.  Im sick of having to view the same rubbish every match.  3 months off had taught us nothing.  We are going to get relegated because the coaching staff are completely narrow minded.  We've been caught out by poor purchases in the market and poor knowledge on the training ground.  Being a Villa fan is depressing once again.  New owners repeating the same mistakes of previous regimes.

difficult to argue with that.

32 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Mendes brought Nuno in. Did you know Nuno was his first ever client as a player? Their relationship goes back a very long way.

Perhaps he thought...if I bring Nuno in, I can get better players. Then said "Hey Nuno, go to this shite little hole in England and I'll bring you loads of great players"

I've spoken to Wolves fans, it's always a frustrating conversation because sadly only one of our clubs has a super agent running the show and making them into a Champions League club.

Mendes brought Nuno in. Mendes brought the players in.

Of course they want to go and play for Nuno, he's brilliant.

Mendes brought Nuno in.

You can't compare us to Wolves. They have Mendes, we don't.

Their success has all come from Mendes, nowhere else.

Same people just talking themselves into a circle. They'll read this and still just refuse to even see the point, I find it funny.

NO, WE SHOULD BE WINNING. THEY JUST HAVE TO TRY HARDER.

Proper boomer mindset. I can't believe people have watched Smith manage us for 18 months, and watch him rip us the shreds with Brentford every time we played them, and think he's telling the team to not pass it and clearing in the woods it long constantly. He has a squad of players unfit for purpose.

If the team do what Smith wants, we'll trash Newcastle. One way traffic for the last six or seven meetings between a Dean Smith side with a plan and Steve Bruce side without a plan.

There is the caveat here of their players being better, but we can do it if the team will show some bollocks and pass the ball.

Stop being cowards and hoofing it because it's easy. Pass and move. It'll take about 3 sequences and Newcastle will retreat back into their box like they have all season and we'll beat them.

well, It will be an interesting encounter.

The art of management is not just telling them what to do......but getting them to do it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Sean Dyche and don't take no for an answer - to me that's do able.

Not sure if you mean if we stay up or are in championship but that wouldn't really excited me tbh as decent a manager as he is.

Now Leandro Jardim, Marcelinho, Lucien Favre (talk Borussia Dortmund will sack him in next few weeks) those managers would excite me, won stuff recently and managed in champions league.

If we want to get to that level eventually we need to appoint a manager with that experience as then bigger name and quality players will start taking notice of what we're doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It's a bit simplistic that, he goes into clubs and makes an impact. Went to Bilbao and they went to europa league final after a memorable run (they played Man. United off the park in quarter final and that was Ferguson Man. United) and they also made Copa Del Rey final but lost to Guardiola Barca which was pretty good of course. Just for the record Bilbao have never won a european trophy and last won copa del rey in 1984 so he took them to places they'd never been for a long while.

At Marseille he finished 4th which was about par but got them into CL. Season before he came in they were 6th and after he left they finished 13th and weren't far off being relegated (had Steven Fletcher upfront for second half of the season).

Was reading an article about Kalvin Phillips today. Apparently before Bielsa came Leeds fans were getting on his back constantly, now he's one of the best midfielders in championship.

Vast majority of players who work under Bielsa say once they get their heads round the mad training sessions they love it and really feel they improve as players.

Most managers in the game don't win anything bar the odd cup. Brendan Rodgers not won anything outside of Scotland but he's done outstanding at Leicester. Nuno struggled at Porto and to a degree at Valencia but again improved plenty of average players at Wolves like Coady and Doherty.

We need a manager who can actually be progressive and get us playing good football in a coherent system. DS eventually got that right last season but sadly it's been beyond him in the premier league bar giving the ball to Grealish and hoping for the best.

Getting a manager who could also improve 4-5 of our regular 11 would also mean less need for once to get so many players in a summer transfer window which is a recurring problem. We're due one.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

I caught some of his prematch interview today (just the opening)

He looked a beaten man sadly. First time I've seen him like that - I wonder if Purlsow has had a word that the owners are not happy? Maybe he has just realized that he hasn't got the squad which can play the style he wants at PL level.

Everyone knew in charge of Villa that you couldn't go amateur hour in the premier league, it's what we did when we went and signed that many players from abroad. Also think Edans tried to mirror his methods he does with his american team which as a totally different sport will in turn yield totally different results when it comes to signing players.

As much as I hate to say it but I feel the blame is shared throughout and the in experience reaches all the way from the players, staff up to the Owners it seems. Shame the club itself will now be setback some more seasons rather than become established in the premier. 

How many times have we said it that to play a style like liverpool play, you need the best, what do we do, we go and fetch players in who cant remotely play the system. 

Edited by Dave-R

I'd take Bielsa but can't see a scenario in which it would happen, If we're relegated then he won't come to us regardless because he will either be in the premier league with Leeds, or if Leeds aren't promoted I doubt he's going to leave one championship club to join another, If he leaves them he will have better offers, could have gone to a few top serie A teams last summer. And finally if we stay up and they aren't promoted (unlikely), then Smith will probably keep his job, it's alright saying now that he shold go at the end of the season whatever happens, but if we were to survive from this position there would suddenly be a lot euphoria and doubt the club would sack him against that backdrop.

Â