Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We're going down with a whimper if Grealish doesn't move from that wing. The rest of the team are too scared to get on the ball.

So a 4-3-1-2?

Or do you want us to start with both El Ghazi and Trez?

25 minutes ago, sne said:

So a 4-3-1-2?

More than happy to have neither starting.

Either 4312 or 352.

The 343 we tried I don't think Smith ever liked and that had all the shortcomings of the 433 as well. Grealish stuck out wide and far too light in midfield, leading to opposition storming in on our defence constantly.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

More than happy to have neither starting.

Either 4312 or 352.

The 343 we tried I don't think Smith ever liked and that had all the shortcomings of the 433 as well. Grealish stuck out wide and far too light in midfield, leading to opposition storming in on our defence constantly.

Same here, it's just that it puts a lot of pressure on our wide defenders and I don't think they are up to handling it.

Do not like the 3/5 at the back hampers more than it helps for us IMO 

I do however feel that Grealish on the left moving inside with Targett overlapping is one of the few things that has worked for us,

43 minutes ago, sne said:

Same here, it's just that it puts a lot of pressure on our wide defenders and I don't think they are up to handling it.

Do not like the 3/5 at the back hampers more than it helps for us IMO 

I do however feel that Grealish on the left moving inside with Targett overlapping is one of the few things that has worked for us,

352 the way to go. Targett and Guilbert aren't great defensively anyway, better going forward.

Immaterial though, Smith plays 433 and nothing else. I just hope he puts Grealish back into midfield before we're too far gone.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

352 the way to go. Targett and Guilbert aren't great defensively anyway, better going forward.

Immaterial though, Smith plays 433 and nothing else. I just hope he puts Grealish back into midfield before we're too far gone.

Samatta and Davis are our only decent striking options.

Playing both of them increase the risk of one of them being injured.

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Smith deserves credit because we made Sheffield United look very average yesterday. They had very little attacking ideas

Absolutely this. I’ve seen so many comments saying we missed an opportunity to beat an under par, poor Sheffield Utd. Odd, isn’t it, that they’ve been great all season against everyone else but we play them the one time they’re apparently rubbish. It couldn’t possibly be that we got it nearly spot on, tactically?! Had it not been for their GK and poor officiating we could have won that game 3-1, maybe 4-1. Nyland had one header from a corner to save, apart from that Sheffield Utd didn’t have a pop at goal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Thought Targett was defensively good last night. Looked more determined to get stuck in and win some battles. 

3-4-3 worked with Wesley because he is a natural number 10 type player i.e dropping off and Linking the play. I was so excited about this season but I just want it to be over.

In the first game of the season the biggest take away was the lack of physical strength on and off the ball. Grealish and McGinn are the only players who have beefed up.  That tells me that the management didn't see this as a priority. However against The Blades we looked much stronger and that gives me a small minute amount of hope that we might survive somehow. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Thought Targett was defensively good last night. Looked more determined to get stuck in and win some battles. 

His positioning was so much better and his anticipation too. He read the game so well. 

Not sure why Leeds fans we think we should have given Sheffield United a goal. they gave us a goal because they cheated (and had couldn't finisher any higher than thirid place at that point so it  didn't really matter), whereas last night it wasn't our fault that the Sheffield Unitied goal was disallowed, it wasn't a case of us cheating, it was a mistake by the officials. No other team, would have allowed the opposition to score given the same scenario either.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Absolutely this. I’ve seen so many comments saying we missed an opportunity to beat an under par, poor Sheffield Utd. Odd, isn’t it, that they’ve been great all season against everyone else but we play them the one time they’re apparently rubbish. It couldn’t possibly be that we got it nearly spot on, tactically?! Had it not been for their GK and poor officiating we could have won that game 3-1, maybe 4-1. Nyland had one header from a corner to save, apart from that Sheffield Utd didn’t have a pop at goal. 

Its easy to make any keeper look a class act when you fire at them, we had no placement or feel for where the ball goes in the back of the net. I think there keeper made some good saves but seriously weve been so bad at finishimg all season that its part of the problem to our game.

Edited by Dave-R

3 hours ago, sne said:

So a 4-3-1-2?

Why does it need Ghazi or Trez?? Doesnt have to be wingers, more like Davis and Samatta up front.

Ghazi and Trez will become lost property the way they are going, they are not being missed are they, the only one that doesn't realise this is Smith himself.

• Confused 1

On 18/06/2020 at 03:22, Dave-R said:

Just been onto the Sheffield utd page for our match with them: https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/aston-villa-v-sheffield-united-17th-june-2020.80061/

It is very hilarious some of the comments I must say. What is the most funniest and bet some of you could guess is how they think they were robbed of a win and a goal because of the none present VAR. One thing you do not see throughout there comments is the truth about the when situation and whether they should of been awarded a goal, we too also should of been awarded one penalty. As usual football fans can't see the whole picture, the most I'll give there fans is alot of them say they deserved to lose but still think they should of been awarded the goal.

Sheffield UTD have felt all season that they are not wanted in the league and shout conspiracy that they have been harshly done by VAR, that's a laugh on it's own, there VAR problems have been nothing on ours.

They hate Smith it seems, I didnt see it but apparently he was Vocal at there players and the officials at one point in regards to making a point to the officials about awarding a goal to them and if you do that you have to award our penalty, which is bang on. Smith must of thought that we was going to be harshly done so he leapt into action where ever he could, really it showed alot of courage to do that as it all could of made him look bad if the goal was awarded. I do not think the officials were going to award one and not the other, they clearly spoke about it and it would of spoilt the whole game and been a terrible injustice, bringing VAR online at half time and awarding one side there goal or penalty would of wrecked anything about football.

The utd fans think they were hammered, well the majority of them anyway think we were up for the game way more than what they were, which most likely leads to there conclusion of how they deserved to lose the game.

To there fans also that Grealish made a mockery of there player tactically, really?? I felt Grealish was very quiet all game not to mention we wouldn't of missed him of Ghazi if they had of been subbed.

It's always interesting reading opposition fan comments after games, you see a different view to the whole game from another point.

While I think that the goal should of been awarded and our penalty, I am also at the conclusion that we played a very good game and something can be taken away from that and should be built on. I do actually think if that was us last season we would of well and truly bottled it letting a few goals in as there were some times that it could of gone haywire, defensively we did enough. While that goal we need to look back on and say next time no, we need our players to take away what not to do which is move into the keepers direction in situations like that when hes got the ball.  Nyland mostly throughout played very well, made a mistake going backwards  maybe should of punches that one clear.

I'm still uncertain about our Wingers, Ghazi was clearly out of his depth, Jack we may as well of put him back in the midfield and added those two players to give us more to attack through the center with. I hate the way we are playing Wingers and it's not working one damn bit, Smith is likea child that gets in trouble over and over and over again, never learns his lessons and never find a better way of doing things. I noticed more more that our crosses were of the same variety of either going to short or to long over all the players, no one attacking near or far post (ridiculous). 

Midfield had held it all much better but still we found it difficult to move the ball on from midfield at times we just looked empty of ideas. Douglas Luiz had Impressed me the most today I think, his ball chasing and interceptions, I thought for a while we had signed Bolt himself because of how fast he was. McGinn was also giving it a good go and hopefully we will see something good soon out of him.

Hause had a couple of headers, in fact there were alot of headers won from corners by our defenders and not one of them could get the darn ball in the net.

It all leads the to this last bit, the finished article, making everything count or at least putting something away. Are we that empty of firepower that our guns have no ammo in them, that our swords are blunt, anyone would seriously look at us with the chances we got and seriously be asking us if we had our firing pins removed before the match started. It really did look like one of those action films at time where guns have had ammo removed, firing pins took out and no one gets bloody shot. We seriously had everything there apart from finishing, placement and forsight, the feel of a goal just wasn't there was it??

The wingers look too rigid for me, they should be pulling defenders around to make gaps....El Ghazi and Trez are not up to it for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

My biggest gripe with Deano is few clean sheets and we got one, doesen't matter how.

so yes, he deserves credit....it give us hope.

Me too.

He said they've been working on the defensive side of the game for the past weeks and it was much improved. So fair play I say.

What i cannot for the life of me understand is why haven't this been addressed much, much sooner?

• Like 2

Â