Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm like 80/20 towards the players not being good enough. if you think about the number of individual errors, that's not on smith...reina monday night, classic example...get to half time 0-0 who knows what would've happened. as it was a dubious pen made it 2-0 and that was that.

I'm gonna say just what I did in the Steve Bruce thread when this issue came up during his time here.

No manager is responsible for the single individual error a player does. But the way a team sets up and plays can invite individual errors occurring more often than they should and the manager has to take some responsibility for that. If you are constantly under pressure or inviting pressure more errors will occur. Not seen Smith blame individual errors (he may have but I don't watch the post game interviews most times) but I'm firmly in that many of these individual errors are down to a fault in the system.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm like 80/20 towards the players not being good enough. if you think about the number of individual errors, that's not on smith...reina monday night, classic example...get to half time 0-0 who knows what would've happened. as it was a dubious pen made it 2-0 and that was that.

I think its fair to suggest individual errors are not "directly"the managers fault.

"Indirectly",i am not too sure.

the way we play, could have an influence in why so many players are making alarming errors.....these errors are not just one player, either....it is a collective responsibility.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree.

We can debate tactics, style, transfers, injuries, forever.

None of that would matter much if we were getting 100% every game from improving players.

I couldn't agree more Terry.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think its fair to suggest individual errors are not directly the managers fault.

Indirectly, i am not too sure.

the way we play, could have an influence in why so many players are making alarming errors.....these errors are not just one player, either....it is a collective responsibility.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm gonna say just what I did in the Steve Bruce thread when this issue came up during his time here.

No manager is responsible for the single individual error a player does. But the way a team sets up and plays can invite individual errors occurring more often than they should and the manager has to take some responsibility for that. If you are constantly under pressure or inviting pressure more errors will occur. Not seen Smith blame individual errors (he may have but I don't watch the post game interviews most times) but I'm firmly in that many of these individual errors are down to a fault in the system.

totally valid points...that's my 20% blame on smith :)

7 minutes ago, sne said:

I concur.

• Like 1

If we lose more games than we win,its natural for the players heads to drop and for their form to go all to hell.The way I see it is that we usually play the wrong formation ( for the playere we have )We usually employ the wrong tactics and as far as DS is concerned he wants to attack and win every game.All very noble and sounds great but if you lok at it realistically,we should not even be trying to beat teams like Liverpool,Chelsea,Spurs etc.

So, I put it down to the manager.Wrong tactics,wrong formation,wrong attitude and wrong way to go about things in your first eason in the Premier League.We should have been consolidating and aiming for 17th, not trying to win every game. 

• Like 3

We all loved Dean’s attractive style of football at the start of the season and I think most people were happy to take a few losses and accept that it was a project that would move forward.

However as the losses have mounted the confidence has disappeared and with it the attractive football. For the majority of football fans the most attractive football is first and foremost winning football. We can all get high and mighty about fast flowing attacking football, but if it doesn’t work we soon get fed up of it.  The coaches want to play that style but we have first to work hard and win the right to play that way. 

Atletico Madrid have been extremely successful under Simeone. They don’t play easy on the eye football, but every game they work their socks off, are extremely well organised and have a plan. I doubt many people would turn their noses up at swapping their brand of pragmatic style, that gets results, for what we are witnessing every week. 

Wether we stick with Deano or replace him, the club needs to tone down “Project Pretty”, quickly embrace the real world and find a pragmatic, winning formula or we’re stuffed. 

Just watched the pre match interveiw with smith on VT (this interveiw was with Villa's internal smoke blower not with press ) and for a man with the noose around his neck is conveying a very relaxed demeanour,although his skin looks a bit blotchy similar to brian clough's when he was on the brink however he's ginger so erm...

deano's  gone on about our record at Villa Park in night games is 6 out of 7 (most were in cup) and return of McGinn is as big as grealish last season (disagree ) also he clarify's the marking at corners is man to man not zonal and they've done some work on it.(yeah right)

also drinkwater has been delt but with didn't say how.

Edited by screwdriver
missed out the word 'with'

Stop over complicating things. Smith is more than good enough at this level but he has a squad made up of a LOT of poor quality players. What role he had in the signings made, I do not know but he is simply trying to put a gloss on a pretty runny turd at the moment and no tactical change is ever going to make that turd start glowing and that applies to any new manager !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Well you did say Villa had less than a 2% chance of beating Chelsea, so thought that you might have the courage of your convictions. Obviously not. Anyway, happy to park this and be done with it, thanks for your counter offer but I’ll also respectfully decline. 

No problem  🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't know why someone feels the need to flash how much cash they have, even proverbial cash. I haven't got a pot to piss in most of the time. I couldn't afford £1000, not even close. Huge sign of loneliness or sadness, trying to be something you ain't. Is that correct @OxfordVillan ?

😂 Flash the cash?? I was talking of a stake of £20........hardly gambling the house away! I think some of you are missing the point, the point being that somebody who was prepared to say we were so crap he gave us a less than 2% chance of winning didn’t find it quite as easy to back up those words. Because it’s easy to just say something, isn’t it? Unfortunately your punt at psychological analysis does, unfortunately, come up a tad short. But thank you for your thoughts in these stressful times. 💘

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

😂 Flash the cash?? I was talking of a stake of £20........hardly gambling the house away! I think some of you are missing the point, the point being that somebody who was prepared to say we were so crap he gave us a less than 2% chance of winning didn’t find it quite as easy to back up those words. Because it’s easy to just say something, isn’t it? Unfortunately your punt at psychological analysis does, unfortunately, come up a tad short. But thank you for your thoughts in these stressful times. 💘

Whatever Richie Rich, go back to your Scrooge McDuck swimming pool full of gold coins! 😂

(warning, post is not serious at all and intended for purposes of entertainment) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

But the odds you gave were abit crazy 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Suso can go f*** himself. 
The likes of Nakamba, Trezeguet, Wesley etc. are never going to be cut out for this league. 

Love him or hate him, Smith can't polish some of the turds we signed in the Summer. What he can do, is recognise our strengths don't lie in a possession based game and playing out from the back. He has failed to recognise this and we constantly put ourselves under pressure playing this daft style of football. 
We're much better when we play it long and get it up to the striker as quickly as possible. 

Trying to knock it around with Luiz, Engels, Mings, Nakamba, Drinkwater and Hourihane is suicide. And the stats (20th in almost everything) reflect that. 

He also has no idea how/why/when to make substitutions. This aspect of his management is comical. 

Absolutely spot on, thanks for posting even if the truth hurts .

ATB,

G.T.

Simples...play two strikers and hit it long to them ( a la Leicester). Please don't say this is too simple. We are not good enough to do anything else and it will take the pressure off our woeful defence.

Regards,

VLD.

Â