Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last time he managed in PL he finished 8th.

Last time he managed in The Championship he finished 1st.

Yeah keep disrespecting a highly underrated manager.

And where are those clubs now?

Of all the clubs he's managed, it's only really Bolton and West Ham who would say he helped them grow as a club. In both cases, he joined when they had already dropped out of the top flight, and he helped them fight their way back up.

When he joins a top-flight team - Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland, Palace, Everton - he usually just leaves a massive mess behind. Three of those clubs got relegated not long after he left.

He also just wouldn't fit into the setup that we have here.

In all likelihood, the problems go beyond Dean Smith. The head coach is a lightning rod for fan anger, but it seems to me that lots of things have gone wrong:

• budgeting is mainly Purslow's responsibility - did we earmark too much cash for long-term "investment" players and not enough for players who would have an immediate impact?
  • recruitment is mainly Suso's responsibility - if you're angry about Wesley, Nakamba, etc. then this surely rests mainly with Suso?
  • defending set pieces - Smith is obviously doing something wrong here, but we also have John Terry on board. Surely this is the one area where you'd think JT's influence would be massive?

If we get a new coach, a lot of these other problems will remain in place until at least the end of the season. I would be more inclined to just spend big in January, and buy our way to survival through the transfer market, rather than roll the dice on another coach. That's not to say I'm backing Smith until eternity, but it seems very "Fulham" to just sack him and cross our fingers that a Fat Sam-esque survival merchant will do the business.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Can someone post me the positives.

You get to overreact on VT? 

And...

you soon will get time off work. Personally I can't wait for a bit more sleep. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

We need a leader, there is not one at the club. He doe's not have to be the best player in the world but someone who will take control. Where's that nasty little scot who is in your face all the game and will let you know it, our so called leaders are to soft and accept results. Nicola Sturgeon is the character we need but with boots.

I wonder when Smith was appointed how many would have thought 14 months later that if he'd got us promoted and into the semi final of a cup competition, with the chance still to go further, some would be questioning if he should keep his job. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last time he managed in PL he finished 8th.

Last time he managed in The Championship he finished 1st.

Yeah keep disrespecting a highly underrated manager.

I really do respect him not sure if he would want the challenge anyway .

we need to stay up before our reputation and standing further declines , I'm just not sure what any one could do with the squad of players we have . For me its not good enough for a scrap at the bottom of the table. Were not a team who will role up the sleeves and grind out a result. This is not in Dean Smiths locker , i like the guy a lot but this is Aston Villa football club so sentiment and loyalty cant come into it. Its a business at the end of the day.

Big Sam has an excellent reputation of keeping teams up , we cant continue for me attempting to play champagne football week in week out .

The team is simply not good enough bereft of any  quality (  Graelish the exception) the tactics and desire to fight win non existent    , we continue in this vain we will be relegated. The cracks are appearing .

The decision as to whether we sack him or not should be based on this season alone, last season has gone, he's been rewarded for that by being allowed to spend £140m and been given a new contract so if he does go at least he will be compensated financially. Only thing that should be used to determine whether he keeps his job or not is how likely it is that he will keep us in the league, can't just accept relegation because of some strange idea that we never expected to be in this league at this stage anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I wonder when Smith was appointed how many would have thought 14 months later that if he'd got us promoted and into the semi final of a cup completion, with the chance still to go further, some some would be questioning if he should keep his job. 

Mark its all about opinions , but the stats don't look good. No one wants to question him but you cant continue to not challenge him when we see the same issues week in week out. I like your previous post regarding formation and possible changes. This is not in DS DNA he wont change .

It was always going to be a tough season complete new squad ,  so the player recruitment and how the manager uses those players was going to be crucial. I don't see any thing so far that would suggest were improving or moving forward.

My big issue is the lack of  hunger desire and fight  - if we get this from the stands the fans will stay behind Dean and the team no matter what  , but were Not and that  responsibility is directly at the managers door. UTV  

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So lets get this into perspective,

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend against corners

Cannot defend a lead

Keep conceding within 10 minutes after half time

Cannot make our striker work after 18 games, but continues to play him

No tactical changes when needed

Played McGinn injured

Looking no better from the start of the season

Same mistakes being made every game

No aggressiveness from players

Can someone post me the positives.

It's not the end of the season. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I wonder when Smith was appointed how many would have thought 14 months later that if he'd got us promoted and into the semi final of a cup competition, with the chance still to go further, some would be questioning if he should keep his job. 

He has just spent 130 million on players to improve the team and the team is embarrassingly bad. Or are you saying a relegation is '.a 'success' . Just what is your idea if a successful manager?

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I’m very grateful for all dean has done with us ,  however with 7 defeats in 9 we are in freefall and a manager should be judged on current  form and results rather than what he achieved at a lower level - we are now in the premier league and Dean is struggling at this level 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Good point but now we are in the Premier League we want to stay.

If we act now we are an attractive proposition. we're in the semi of the cup and have a transfer window in front of us.  

A big name like poch or Benitez would jump at the chance of adding some more silverwear to their CV. (especially poch who has won a grand total of f*ck all so please tell me why clubs like man utd and mardrid be interested)

After the watford result I really think smith is a dead man walking. We are desperate for that new manager bounce and with two winnable games up coming?  I'd swing the axe now. Ellis would be straight in there.

There's no room for sentiment now. It's either sack smith or loose grealish in the summer. so thanks for the memories deano.

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

He has just spent 130 million on players to improve the team and the team is embarrassingly bad. Or are you saying a relegation is '.a 'success' . Just what is your idea if a successful manager?

The club has spent 130 mill on 12 players after losing at least that amount. It was a necessity not a choice and just over 10 mill a player at this level is not a lot. 

I always knew having to try to integrate so many new players, many of whom are new to this country and/or had no experience at this level was going to be tough and take time and so it is proving.

I'd consider success this season as staying up and I stated as much in the summer and I expected us to be dipping in and out of the bottom 3 all season. 

Smith has been successful in his 14 months here. No doubt we are struggling now, as was expected for me, but I believe he has earned more time and can get us out of it. Time will tell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

If we act now we are an attractive proposition. we're in the semi of the cup and have a transfer window in front of us.  

A big name like poch or Benitez would jump at the chance of adding some more silverwear to their CV. (especially poch who has won a grand total of f*ck all so please tell me why clubs like man utd and mardrid be interested)

After the watford result I really think smith is a dead man walking. We are desperate for that new manager bounce and with two winnable games up coming?  I'd swing the axe now. Ellis would be straight in there.

There's no room for sentiment now. It's either sack smith or loose grealish in the summer. so thanks for the memories deano.

Poch would not jump at the chance to manage villa - he’s established spurs as a regular in the top 4 and has the credentials to get a much better Job than us ,  Benitez maybe is more realistic an option . 

14 minutes ago, useless said:

The decision as to whether we sack him or not should be based on this season alone, last season has gone, he's been rewarded for that by being allowed to spend £140m and been given a new contract so if he does go at least he will be compensated financially. Only thing that should be used to determine whether he keeps his job or not is how likely it is that he will keep us in the league, can't just accept relegation because of some strange idea that we never expected to be in this league at this stage anyway.

I agree with that - no room for sentiment.

But sacking him to bring in someone of the calibre of Fat Sam would be a shocker. Just delaying the problem for a year.

I would rather throw more money at Smith in the January window, and then change coach in the summer. Smith has loads of flaws, but with a couple of reinforcements he's good enough to keep us up, and the summer is a much better time to change manager (as Brighton have shown).

Dealing with the legacy of one or two overpriced emergency players on your books is much easier than dealing with the legacy of an overpriced emergency manager.

'Time will tell'. Well that's correct. But I would rather not wait until we are relegated before we do something positive. As I have already said, Smiths admission that ' the players are not working hard enough', ( but not doing anything about it ) says it all.....

Blow poch out the water and get him in. He lives in the UK at the mo so make it worth his while offer him a nice package,

The bundelige and what ever the spaniush league is called is the equivalent of the SPL a boring non competitive event.

These silent board people make me sick to my jappa. At least learner came out with biblical shuminte bollox once in a while to amuse us. One minute they're the richest in the world. the next they can't afford to buy Jack Butland.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Seems to be a danger that Smith is going to become a victim of his own success in getting us promoted so quickly. He didn't have time to do what Chris Wilder has done and build a team over a number of transfer windows and implement a system of play over a long period. In the summer we had no choice but to sign 12 new players some quite late in the window. 

The coaching staff have had little time to work with the players especially when you consider the amount of international breaks there have been. Trying to get so many players to gel, many of whom are new to the country or haven't played at this level before can't be easy. Then you add in the pressure of having to get results and play in front of such expectant supporters.

I hope when judging Smith we are taking the above into consideration but I fear many are not and we as a fan base are on the verge of making his job, and the only goal for this season of staying up, that much harder by making Villa Park a toxic place to play. I hope we all knew this season was going to be tough and now it is panning out that way whilst some of the criticism against Smith is fair lets not let that overtake the main job of us this year which is being right behind the coaches and players and helping them in their battle to keep us up.

I feel that for whatever tiny contribution social media sites like this make to the overall destiny of the Club it’s important that the views expressed in @markavfc40s post here are seen to be supported.

Im 100% behind the views in this Post. 
I won’t add to that as I’m not interested in debating the stuff I’m reading.

But well said Mark.

• Thanks 1

Â