Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The match thread was full of praise up to about 70 minutes, lots of it for Smith. But you can't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and expect people to highlight the positives, ffs, we threw it away, criticism is fully justified and is going to dominate after such an outcome. 

48 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

So where is the credit to Smith for getting us into a winning position in the first place?

That's like crediting a teacher for teaching you the classes well but then come the exam you fail miserably.

Why should he get praise for that? He was the reason we lost yesterday. Poor tactics and even poorer subs.

Im a  Smith fan but he was awful yesterday 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The match thread was full of praise up to about 70 minutes, lots of it for Smith. But you can't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and expect people to highlight the positives, ffs, we threw it away, criticism is fully justified and is going to dominate after such an outcome. 

Criticism is fine, vitriol is not.

• Like 1

So he has confirmed that Luiz was left out of the squad for tactical reasons. That is a complete and utter shambles and an unforgivable error. 

If we keep Smith then we are almost certainly going to be relegated. This man has only ever talked a good game, constantly recognising the mistakes in his post match but never actually reconciling them. 

His tactical incompetency is undoing all of the hard work everyone else at the club is putting in and makes that £100M we spent a huge waste of money. 

Anything less than a convincing performance against Burnley and he has to walk. We are already stranded. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly, yes he got the substitutions wrong but he has got us into a position where we are going to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal and leading for large parts of the game, less than a year after taking over a shambolic team struggling in the Championship.  He and the players will make mistakes and it's fine criticising him but the fury of some people towards him is unfair, but sadly typical.  Give him a bit more slack than half a dozen matches.  Stuff like pathetic, all the blame on him when there were individual errors involved, amateur etc winds me up.  

I would cut him some slack if I could see progress or development, which I can’t. Same old mistakes costing us.

Also, 6 games is 15% of our season and included at least 2 must-win games, far too big a period to just write off.

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

So he has confirmed that Luiz was left out of the squad for tactical reasons. That is a complete and utter shambles and an unforgivable error. 

If we keep Smith then we are almost certainly going to be relegated. This man has only ever talked a good game, constantly recognising the mistakes in his post match but never actually reconciling them. 

His tactical incompetency is undoing all of the hard work everyone else at the club is putting in and makes that £100M we spent a huge waste of money. 

Anything less than a convincing performance against Burnley and he has to walk. We are already stranded. 

Do you recall who the villa board had in the frame for the villa job apart from Smith ?  - one Theiry Henry !

Issue is other than gambling on JT i don't see there is any better options available.

I'd rather keep Smith till the end of the season in the hope that he will turn it around rather than if we just sack him for the sake of it in blind hope of a quick fix. Look at Fulham last season, sacking Jokanovic did nothing for them.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Oh come on that's all a bit dramatic!! It's far to early to be pulling the pin!! We have made mistakes and lost a lead to 2 very good sides we are hardly getting smashed every game. Burnley are a decent side they will want to take a point from us at VP it's going to be a hard slog this season it always was going to be.............imagine if we had kept last years squad and not spent we would really be the whipping boys. 

There's really no positives to take when you collapse against 10 men in the way we did. Everything I saw was extreme concerning, concerning that the manager did his best Steve Bruce impression by standing on the sidelines watching the play and doing nothing to mitigate our collapsing midfield, concerning that our players are yet again out of gas after 65 minutes, what on earth sort of strength and conditioning were they doing in preseason and continuing to do now? Very worrying display. The positives are clutching at straws, yes it's nice that Wesley actually scored, great that Grealish played so well, McGinn was very good in the first half (no where in the second though) but these are extremely minor in the grand scheme of that game.

16 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I would cut him some slack if I could see progress or development, which I can’t. Same old mistakes costing us.

Also, 6 games is 15% of our season and included at least 2 must-win games, far too big a period to just write off.

He took us from the championship to the Premier league, how are you not seeing progress? 

It's always going to be tough this season, there's a lot of good teams in this league. We now have 3 very winnable league games coming up so let's see where we are after those before you get your bedsheets out just yet. 

We are still in September,  scoring goals against top opposition away from home,  still bedding in players and tactics.  All we need to do is not be relegated.  Give the bloke a chance.  Maybe he is doing everything 100% perfect but people are not executing it.  Maybe he played Luiz and he gets sent off after 2 minutes one just doesn't know.  We look OK at this stage and if the passing improves which is off I admit and some our our best players up a gear we will be fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly, yes he got the substitutions wrong but he has got us into a position where we are going to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal and leading for large parts of the game, less than a year after taking over a shambolic team struggling in the Championship.  He and the players will make mistakes and it's fine criticising him but the fury of some people towards him is unfair, but sadly typical.  Give him a bit more slack than half a dozen matches.  Stuff like pathetic, all the blame on him when there were individual errors involved, amateur etc winds me up.  

Spot on.

49 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

We are still in September,  scoring goals against top opposition away from home,  still bedding in players and tactics.  All we need to do is not be relegated.  Give the bloke a chance.  Maybe he is doing everything 100% perfect but people are not executing it.  Maybe he played Luiz and he gets sent off after 2 minutes one just doesn't know.  We look OK at this stage and if the passing improves which is off I admit and some our our best players up a gear we will be fine. 

I think I'm still scared by the season we went down. There's currently a couple of similarities, 'players needed to be bedded in', 'scoring against top opposition away from home' (we scored two away at Anfield early on in that season too). Finding it hard not to panic to a point.

• Like 1

Â