Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Apart from this season where we should have hammered them but ended up having to rescue a late point after Nyland decided he needed extra slippy lube on his gloves that day

This was one of the better performances under Bruce in his entire time here and we still only scrambled a draw. 

Hammered them is over doing it though; I know Bruce was congratulating himself after saying it was one of the best Villa performances in years - might even have been one of the first appearances of his "shutting our fans up" routine. They missed a sitter right at the end to beat us again didn't they? I can't remember their goals, wouldn't surprise me if Nyland chucked them in though.

• Like 1

For all those who are saying the players are shite... that is true, but Smith himself said when he came in that we have an ‘embarassing amount of quality’ and that he’s never worked with such good players. 

Wad he just talking about Grealish? No. 

• Like 2

Seen this other day. Smith, Cutler, Terry & O'Kelly are looking more domestic themselves rather than club employing any  domestic scouts. With Juan Fran and other scouts based around Europe.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-purslow-smith-15717149

Jesus Garcia Pitarch
Pitarch, nicknamed ‘Suso’, is Villa’s new transfer guru. His role isn’t all about signing players and negotiating deals, he also oversees Villa’s playing structure.

Suso will be waist deep in transfer business this month, though.

He has deployed an army of scouts around Europe to find the answers to Smith’s problems, one of whom is fellow Spaniard Juanfran.

The players discovered by the likes of Juanfran will be fed into the club’s database. If they are deemed suitable - and affordable - Suso will discuss the prospect of signing them with head coach Smith.

What Smith has said about him

"Suso has a great array of contacts throughout the game, after working at Atletico and Valencia.

"He’s got a wealth of experience. Myself, JT (John Terry), Richard (O'Kelly) and Neil (Cutler - goalkeeping coach) have knowledge of the English game and the unique system in recruitment I worked with at Brentford.

"We’re getting our heads together all the time and it’s working very well."

Edited by Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

See this other day. Smith, Cutler, Terry & O'Kelly are looking more domestic themselves rather than club employing any  domestic scouts. With Juan Fran and other scouts based around Europe.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-purslow-smith-15717149

Well, if the January window was this structure in motion and yielded such awe inspiring signings as Carroll then fair to say that there isn’t much hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

The commentator pointed out that ten of Brentford's starting eleven were signed by Dean Smith. The eleventh was already at the club.

Contrast their energy, willingness to run for each other and the overall desire and commitment, to the tired 'end of career' type performances that we're getting from a number of our players.

We can't play as a cohesive unit when just a couple of our players are busting a gut, and the rest are going through the 'same old, same old' motions.

At least were reminded last night how a full DS first eleven plays.

Agree.

It's not working at all well.  No much needed replacements for this season at left back, right back and the centre of midfield. Moreira, Nyland, Hause, El Ghazi and Carroll is not the end result of a system that's working very well at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

See this other day. Smith, Cutler, Terry & O'Kelly are looking more domestic themselves rather than club employing any  domestic scouts. With Juan Fran and other scouts based around Europe.

And between them all we ended up with an injured tom carroll & Courtney shithause....

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

The commentator pointed out that ten of Brentford's starting eleven were signed by Dean Smith. The eleventh was already at the club.

Contrast their energy, willingness to run for each other and the overall desire and commitment, to the tired 'end of career' type performances that we're getting from a number of our players.

We can't play as a cohesive unit when just a couple of our players are busting a gut, and the rest are going through the 'same old, same old' motions.

At least were reminded last night how a full DS first eleven plays.

It’s an over simplification to consider that Brentford team as one that Smith built. He didn’t, it was constructed by a dedicated ~10 person team that were doing it before Smith and have continued it after him. That is established fact. The best evidence of it is that is that play that way with their current Manager, so it can’t be Smith dependent. 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think you can judge any manager until he brings his own players in. So far Smith has bought in 4 players and has a 50% success rate. Whether it be smith in charge or somebody else. They won’t be able to achieve success with these same players that the past 2 managers have assembled. 

I think that is perfectly acceptable. This squad was assembled by managers that play a different brand of football to Smith.

I personally have no issue with the fact we will not promoted this season. I accept now that I over estimated the squad that we have this season.I do though think that squad is better than what we have seen over the last 2 months or so. Results have been poor with one win in nine which came against Ipswich but my bigger concern is the performances. That has ranged anywhere from poor to absolutely diabolical. 

It has been claimed that a number of players were made aware some time ago that they have no futures here. If true I'd firstly question who in the club thought that was a good idea mid way through the season and then having made that decision then decided to loan out a handful of youngsters who may well have futures with us. 

I am totally on board with long term planning but we are now seeing the same old regurgitated crap served up by the same old players. Surely it would have been better rather than to let the season drift away to have have instilled Smiths ways and given plenty of game time to the likes of Bree, O'Hare, Doyle Hayes, Clark, Green, Davis, RHM. By doing so it could well have given us a head start going into next season and we could have seen if perhaps 3 or 4 of them could play a big part going forwards.

As it is if things carry on as they have done over the last 2 months then we are likely to see a return to a toxic atmosphere at games. More than that though if the next 3 months mirror the last 2 months and we continue to see poor results and even poorer performances then serious questions may well be asked of Smith.

Having decided tho go the route of continuing to play players who have apparently been told have no future here then Smith still has a responsibility to get something out of them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

And between them all we ended up with Courtney shithause....

Would love chance send club email list of Lower Division players i feel can be improved and make us tidy profit but alas Suso has ignored two emails sent via Club Secretary to him with my Scouting CV & pdf's of my Scouting qualifications and few player reports from last season. Even said i didn't want a penny just help club i love. Have reports on over 50+ lower league players in my 2 years of scouting and opposition reports detailed and have done number of player scouting reports for number lower league clubs such as Tranmere & Salford City last couple of months via Scouting assocation i am with. Got players on my lists at League 1 & League 2 that could do a job for us. But Suso didn't even email back so won't bother again. i'll be back out scouting after my illness in next 2 or weeks i feel just awaiting game in my area from a lower leagues clubs request and normally have watch anything from 1 to 4 players and do reports on them from both clubs playing in match for example Port Vale vs Exeter had do number of player reports!! which i keep for future references once sent to club requesting reports such as Tranmere, AFC Fylde or Salford City and other clubs on network. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Brentford    
16/17 Bought Sold
(Sergi Canos) 2.61m  
Rico Henry 1.62m  
Florian Jozefzoon 450k 2.79m
Emmanuel Ledesma free  
John Egan free 4.05m
(Romaine Sawyers) free  
(Daniel Bentley) free  
Callum Elder  loan  
Sullay Kaikai loan  
Tom Field u18  

17/18    
Neal Maupay 1.80m  
(Ollie Watkins) 1.80m  
Henrik Dalsgaard 990k  
(Kamohelo Mokotjo) 900k  
Emiliano Marcondes free  
Luke Daniels free  
Chiedozie Ogbene undisc  
Ilias Chatzitheodoridis Brentford B free
Justin Shaibu Brentford B  
Chris Mepham Brentford B 12.24m

18/19    
(Ezri Konsa) 2.57m  
(Julian Jeanvier) 1.80m  
(Said Benrahma) 1.53m  
(Moses Odubajo) free  
Joshua Da Silva free  
Mads Bech Sorensen Brentford B  
Ellery Balcombe Brentford B  
Marcus Forss Brentford B  

This is Dean Smiths signed players since his time at Brentford and sold values at the side. The players in the brackets are who played in Yesterdays game. 

Its good what he has done with the players, think for promotion we need sign 10M players turning them into 40M players, rather than 2.5M players into 10M players. Either way its better than we have at Villa atm. Kudos to him for that!

If we use this as an idea, we could have a decent enough side (completely not sarcastic) for the 22/23 season barring any exceptional brilliant transfer windows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Would love chance send club email list of Lower Division players i feel can be improved and make us tidy profit but alas Suso has ignored two emails sent via Club Secretary to him with my Scouting CV & pdf's of my Scouting qualifications and few player reports from last season. Even said i didn't want a penny just help club i love. Have reports on over 50+ lower league players in my 2 years of scouting and opposition reports detailed and have done number of player scouting reports for number lower league clubs such as Tranmere & Salford City last couple of months via Scouting assocation i am with. Got players on my lists at League 1 & League 2 that could do a job for us. But Suso didn't even email back so won't bother again. i'll be back out scouting after my illness in next 2 or weeks i feel just awaiting game in my area from a lower leagues clubs request and normally have watch anything from 1 to 4 players and do repoirts on them from both club which i keep for future reference once sent to club requesting reports such as Tranmere, AFC Fylde or Salford City and other clubs on network. 

Not a very professional way to go about things i guess but John Terry is easy enough to get a message to through instagram...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Merson08 said:
Brentford    
16/17 Bought Sold
(Sergi Canos) 2.61m  
Rico Henry 1.62m  
Florian Jozefzoon 450k 2.79m
Emmanuel Ledesma free  
John Egan free 4.05m
(Romaine Sawyers) free  
(Daniel Bentley) free  
Callum Elder  loan  
Sullay Kaikai loan  
Tom Field u18  

17/18    
Neal Maupay 1.80m  
(Ollie Watkins) 1.80m  
Henrik Dalsgaard 990k  
(Kamohelo Mokotjo) 900k  
Emiliano Marcondes free  
Luke Daniels free  
Chiedozie Ogbene undisc  
Ilias Chatzitheodoridis Brentford B free
Justin Shaibu Brentford B  
Chris Mepham Brentford B 12.24m

18/19    
(Ezri Konsa) 2.57m  
(Julian Jeanvier) 1.80m  
(Said Benrahma) 1.53m  
(Moses Odubajo) free  
Joshua Da Silva free  
Mads Bech Sorensen Brentford B  
Ellery Balcombe Brentford B  
Marcus Forss Brentford B  

This is Dean Smiths signed players since his time at Brentford and sold values at the side. The players in the brackets are who played in Yesterdays game. 

Its good what he has done with the players, think for promotion we need sign 10M players turning them into 40M players, rather than 2.5M players into 10M players. Either way its better than we have at Villa atm. Kudos to him for that!

If we use this as an idea, we could have a decent enough side (completely not sarcastic) for the 22/23 season barring any exceptional brilliant transfer windows. 

The problem is that all of those players combined are good enough to finish somewhere around 8th. That may be fine if you are Brentford and you may make a bit of money along the way and get a good cup run here & there but you are not getting near the premier league.

24 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

For all those who are saying the players are shite... that is true, but Smith himself said when he came in that we have an ‘embarassing amount of quality’ and that he’s never worked with such good players. 

Wad he just talking about Grealish? No. 

Not going to walk in and say I am working with a shit squad

• Like 2

As a rough calculation AVFC will remove between twelve and fifteen million pounds of wages from the players payroll (depending on which reported wages we believe).

Brentford's whole squad was assembled for about sixteen million and their wage bill is probably less than fifteen million per season.

It shows that young hungry teams can be built and run on a budget. We will get rid of a lot of our ageing players, and we must carefully assess the attitude, hunger, energy and pace of the young players we bring in to replace them.

The season finishes in three months ....  four loan players leave us at that time .... we offload up to ten out of contract players in four and a half months time.

We know Guilbert will be coming in. It's up to Pitarch, Smith and co to do their homework and hit the ground running in this summer's transfer window.

UTV!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The problem is that all of those players combined are good enough to finish somewhere around 8th. That may be fine if you are Brentford and you may make a bit of money along the way and get a good cup run here & there but you are not getting near the premier league.

Hence the portion of his post where he suggests now signing "10 million" type players and turning them into "40 million" calibre players. LEVEL UP

• Like 2

Anyone saying Smith out can **** off as far as I'm concerned. How bloody short sighted can you get? Look at the MESS that Bruce and the old regime left us with? Hell, we were frightened of potentially going under just 6 months ago! Smith has come in, inherited a horribly unbalanced, but expensive squad, that needs time and recruitment to get right. Yes, I'm **** off at what I'm seeing on the pitch, aren't we all. But it doesn't take einstein to work out what a shambolic mess this squad is. Why do people think Smith was brought in? Because we were thinking of the long haul, not short term solutions. It's not what people like to hear but we HAVE to ride this out until the summer, and let Smith and co get on with it, sorting this squad out and reducing the age, bringing in some young, hungry players hopefully. Fans need to wake up and realise that we're a midtable championship club right here right now, and patience is needed whether we like it or not! The guy needs at the very very least, the summer transfer window to sort this squad out. I'm not saying Smith is totally blameless, he is the coach after all. However, the vast majority of this is NOT his fault and he deserves a proper chance to mould his own side, instead of this mish mash of 3/4 manager's players. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How any one can defend Dean Smith after the last 13 games is beyond me. The guy is so far out of his depth its like when leeds appointed Hockaday! The bloke isn't an aston villa manager in any description. Ron Saunders would be shaking his head. Massive ego and massive charisma is whats needed at villa. we have got the ginger pisshead who's always on the fruit machines in ladbrokes....and who is a nervous wreck!

The players obviously havnt got a clue what he wants them to do.

I've said all along it was the wrong appointment. It was just like when we appointed Remi Gard....It was just like one of my massive turds disappearing down the bog in slowly stinking the whole trap out.

All his so called tactical changes are just like for like bottle job swaps. 2 wingers for 2 wingers. Waits until we are 3 down before thinking oh shit the fans are going to get nasty now I'd better do something.

Bringing on Elmo last night was like going down to 10 men.

Sorry but unless the 2 idiots who have controlling shares in the club make some hard decisions right now then we will be having this discussion next october.

The fans are already scrapping on the terraces.

Smith is making me feel like the miserable band the smiths with his bullshit press conferences full of flap.

He's always having a sly pop at the fans, "its a tough place to come on when we are behind at Villa Park" now he's started name calling the players. Bet they love him even more for that!

West Brom is MUST WIN

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â