Podcasts

The_Rev

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been listening to a podcast about films called “Diminishing Returns”. 

Three guys discuss various movies and then pitch ideas for potential sequels (hence the name). As it happens that segment can be a bit hit and miss, but overall it’s an entertaining listen when they’re dissecting films.

They cover all sorts of films but I find it most enjoyable when they’re taking the piss out of fairly easy targets like the fast & furious franchise or some of the poorer films of M. Night Shyamalan.

The Slow Burn podcast has been pretty good for looking at US President scandals. Last year they looked at the hidden details of the Watergate Scandal which was really interesting - stuff you wouldn't get from the All the Presidents Men book / film, and their second season has started recently looking at the Lewinsky affair and how impeachment came about.

I was put onto this by someone else, but Popular Front is a podcast from a war correspondent about ongoing conflicts in the world.  It's not for everybody as it's kinda nerdy, but I'm a nerd and I appreciate the deep dive into stuff which usually goes undocumented.

Episodes so far to give you an idea:

01. The Nazis Fighting for Assad

02. All American Militias

03. Portrait Photography on the Rojava Frontlines

04. The ISIS Car Bomb Production Line

05. Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenia's Powder Keg War

06. MS-13 and the WhatsApp Death Squads

07. The "Christian Militias" of Iraq and Syria

08. Inside the Battle of Marawi

09. Aum Shinrikyo: A Japanese Death Cult's Apocalyptic Terrorism

10. ISIS International

11. Tracking Guns Across the World with Silah Report

12. The Ambazonia Insurgency in Cameroon

13. Ukraine is Still at War

14. 3D Printed Warfare

I'm through to episode 6 so far.  Episode 5 was interesting as I heard it on the same day as the story broke about there being potential issues over Henrikh Mkhitaryan getting into Azerbaijan when Arsenal have to go there in the Europa League.  The final is in Azerbaijan too, but the game against FK Qarabag which is a club that has been displaced by the conflict.  They make no reference to football in the episode and it was recorded a few months before the draw was made but it was weird to hear just how serious stuff is out there and how serious it could get if it escalated from being a proxy war between Russia and Turkey into something bigger. 

RSS feed is here should you need it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The latest Last Podcast on the Left series has been really good. It's 3 parts on the West Memphis 3 case, which I would definitely recommend listening to, especially if you don't know the case. It's the story of 3 teenagers who, in the early 90s, were convicted of the ritualistic murder of 3 young boys, and the aftermath. There's been numerous documentaries on the case, especially notably West of Memphis, which is on Netflix and is an excellent if tough watch.

The series is a bit different for LPotL, it's not as funny and far less dark than their usual fare, but it's still great. They are quite merciless in mocking 1 figure in the case, who is effectively a walking endorsement of the worst in self-righteous religious busybody clearings in the woods.

Serial Season 3 is pretty shit.

Each episode is still pretty interesting in it's own right, but it's an absolute world away from the days of Adnan Syed.

They blatantly went searching for a similar case and when they couldn't find one they turned it into this "year in the courts" theme.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2018 at 20:48, villakram said:

Up and Vanished series 1 was way more in the Serial season 1 mode, if you haven't listened, download.

I haven't listened to season 2 yet at 8ish episodes in, waiting to complete before I do. 

Took your advice there. Up and Vanished is podcast gold really.

Season 2 not bad at all.

Spoiler

As long as you don't expect a trial at the end of every series!

Much preferred it to Altlanta Monster and a few minutes in I realised it was from the same makers. Same issues with bleeding music everywhere but it's obvious his mate is a wannabe muso with a hard on for John Carpenter soundtracks so I can't really be annoyed about that as it could easily describe myself :D

Seriously though podcast peeps, surely if the audio isn't audible, we have a problem!

Been trying the new Radio Stakhanov podcast called "The Offensive".

A mockumentary about a fictional Premier League club.

It's ok. At times it's hilarious, at others it's a bit forced. It's one of those comedies where they've set out to make every. single. sentence. a joke.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it misses.

Short episodes though so worth sticking on for a couple on your commute and see if you like it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Part 2 of Supernova in the East was excellent as always from Hardcore History. A switch in focus from the last episode, which had solely looked at Japanese perspectives and the history that placed them in the position they were in the 1930s, to more of the global context of the East at that time and the sparks of war there, closing with Pearl Harbour. Excellent listening. 

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Part 2 of Supernova in the East was excellent as always from Hardcore History. A switch in focus from the last episode, which had solely looked at Japanese perspectives and the history that placed them in the position they were in the 1930s, to more of the global context of the East at that time and the sparks of war there, closing with Pearl Harbour. Excellent listening. 

I downloaded these (not these new ones, I mean other Hardcore History episodes) aaaaages ago and never listened to them. Your posts reminded me of them so just started one. It's great so far. I've a lot of catching up to do :D 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I downloaded these (not these new ones, I mean other Hardcore History episodes) aaaaages ago and never listened to them. Your posts reminded me of them so just started one. It's great so far. I've a lot of catching up to do :D 

Which episode have you started on?

There's not many duff ones in fairness...

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Which episode have you started on?

There's not many duff ones in fairness...

Blueprint for Armageddon as that seems to be the earliest one available on iTunes

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Blueprint for Armageddon as that seems to be the earliest one available on iTunes

That's one of his best series. Not a bad place to start!

He only keeps series free for a couple of years, after that you have to buy them from his website. They aren't expensive at all and well worth it. Definitely look into the older series if you enjoy Blueprint.

• Like 1

Â