Podcasts

The_Rev

If you want to make yourself angry, the short podcast series The Deal, by the guy behind the Arms Control Wonk podcast, is worth a listen. It's the story of the Iran Nuclear Deal - where it came from, how it was brought about, and how it was put on life support.

The episode on its death is infuriating.

And if you want a laugh to follow that up, there's 2 minutes of this week's Computer Game Show about a version member of Sega's executive board that had me laughing like a drain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started listening to No Dogs in Space, the music history podcast from the Last Podcast guys. Not bad.

They seem to have set it up as having 'seasons' on different genres/musical movements, and filling those with episodes on 10 bands within those genres. First series is on punk, with the first band covered being the Stooges. It's not bad - I'm not a Stooges fan but that helps in many ways as they intersperse the episodes with bits of songs that influenced them, songs of people that they encountered, their own music, etc. It's interesting.

The other bands covered in the series are Suicide, the Damned, the Ramones, the Misfits, the Slits, the Cramps, Dead Kennedys, Joy Division and the Screamers. I'd call myself a fan of one of those bands, and I'm not sure they're really punk, at all (they're pretty much definitionally post-punk), but interested in hearing a bit more of some bands I don't know much about...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been listening to a podcast recently that I'd only just heard of but have instantly fallen deeply into love for - Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Listening to his podcasts atm on the Achaemenid Empire. Absolutely **** hooked

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I've been listening to a podcast recently that I'd only just heard of but have instantly fallen deeply into love for - Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Listening to his podcasts atm on the Achaemenid Empire. Absolutely **** hooked

I rarely listen to podcasts, but I must admit that sounds very interesting. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's very good. I have it on in the car on the way to and from work. First one on there was like 3 hrs 40 and I'm on the 2nd which is over 4 hrs. He seems pretty balanced and enthusiastic and he's engaging as hell. Would definitely recommend. Think the rest of his podcasts are about various historical events but this Achaemenid one(s) is called King of Kings

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Imo it's the worst series he's done recently unfortunately. Still good, but there's been brilliance that completely outshines it.

1 hour ago, theunderstudy said:

It sounds a LOT but you get drawn into it and it flies by. 

I remembered why I never listen to podcasts: no time. If I ever had an hour or two spare, there are other things I'd rather be doing. Which is a shame, as I'd probably enjoy it. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I remembered why I never listen to podcasts: no time. If I ever had an hour or two spare, there are other things I'd rather be doing. Which is a shame, as I'd probably enjoy it. 

Hardcore History has a secondary feed where they do smaller subjects on occasion - for instance an hour episode called 'Nightmare of Indianapolis'.

If you can enjoy that then the bigger episodes are worth your time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just seen the giant bomb cast presenters are leaving (at least 3 of them I think) 

I'd stopped listening about 6 months go mainly because they simply weren't playing the games I was (I'm a PS owner who plays the single player blockbuster titles whereas they all seemed to be xbox, online gaming, indie games and then mobile stuff like pokemon go) 

Will give the send off show a listen to though 

• 1 month later...

I listen to the Lincoln Project podcast as I have a mild interest in US politics. Makes me think we have quite a normal set of people in charge here in the UK after hearing what the GOP get up to.

Just discovered Dear Joan and Jericha - 'agony aunt' style podcast with Julia Davis and Vicky Pepperdine. Bit late to this one, but it's cracking me up. funny /filthy. Don't think there's any role that Julia Davis hasn't made me laugh in. 

Also a new one coming up - Brain Cigar - by Peter Haynham and guest. Him being one of the writers working with ianucci, morris, coogan and baron cohen. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Pit of Chimps - a surreal/absurd improvised comedy show parodying shows like TFI Friday, Big Breakfast, etc but set in an alternative universe where Luis Figo is a shady fetishist and Andy Townsend is the greatest footballer of all time. It's an absolute mixed bag of bizarre stuff, honestly. A bit like Vic Reeves Big Night Out, but in podcast form.

Â