Podcasts

The_Rev

• 1 month later...

Anyone checked out "S-Town" yet?

It's the new podcast from Serial and This American Life.

I'm about 2 and a half episodes in. Fairly interesting so far but I can't really see where it's going or what it's even really about.

However, from what I've seen on Twitter, people are raving about it so I'm assuming it gets good.

They released all the episodes at once so it's already all out there. WOuld be interesting to hear some other thoughts (no spoilers though obvs!)

There's also another series of Serial being worked on.

I started listening to it yesterday. 2 episodes in. It's certainly interesting, I've gone back and forth on where I think it's headed even in those 2 episodes so my current thoughts I've no doubt will be found wanting in short order... It's better than series 2 of Serial already though, because it's actually intriguing and is clear that team behind it had an interest in it, rather than had a story dropped on them when they were scrabbling for ideas.

• Like 1

I've got quite a collection of podcasts going on at the minute.

Kermode and Mayos Film Review - speaks for itself

Distraction Pieces with Scroobius Pip - Informal chat with music artists/film and tv stars and other interesting people

Last Podcast on the Left - Horror/Comedy podcast with 3 americans

Abe Lincolns Top Hat - American politics with a comedy angle - featuring 2 of the guys from Last Postcast

The Roundtable of Gentleman - Informal chat around a table featuring some of the people from the above 2 podcasts (mainly a comedy angle but current news items discussed as well

Stop and Search - Monthly podcast on the war on drugs involving key people (ex police officers/campaigners etc.)

The Nerdist - Informal chats with celebrities

Late Nights with Iain Lee - Daily podcast of his radio show on talk radio

• Like 1

Glad to see you're still liking Last Podcast. I relistened to the Dahmer episodes the other day. Still disturbing but still funny. I really like Cave Comedy Radio's stuff.

The Parapod finished the other day. Third series wasn't as good as the first but still very funny, and looks like they'll be making a movie.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned* Football Fives on this thread. 

An excellent look at football in general from a bunch of people who know huge amounts about it, rather than just reporting on what has happened in the last week like most of them do.

Including a disproportionately high amount of Villa stuff due to one of the four hosts being a long-standing poster on here for many years (hence it being a surprise that it's not been brought up)

*at least I don't think they have.

Edited by ml1dch

On 4/5/2017 at 10:46, Stevo985 said:

Anyone checked out "S-Town" yet?

It's the new podcast from Serial and This American Life.

I'm about 2 and a half episodes in. Fairly interesting so far but I can't really see where it's going or what it's even really about.

However, from what I've seen on Twitter, people are raving about it so I'm assuming it gets good.

They released all the episodes at once so it's already all out there. WOuld be interesting to hear some other thoughts (no spoilers though obvs!)

There's also another series of Serial being worked on.

I'm onto the final episode.

I've enjoyed it but I can't really see how it's going to climax, which I'm guessing it probably isn't.

I don't really know what it's been about, even though it has been interesting.

At the moment it feels like the presenter/researcher/reporter aimed for one story, when that didn't materialise he stumbled onto another story, which didn't amount to much so he stumbled onto a third story and that was unresolved so he just wrapped it up with something else.

I'll come back and give my final verdict later

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm onto the final episode.

I've enjoyed it but I can't really see how it's going to climax, which I'm guessing it probably isn't.

I don't really know what it's been about, even though it has been interesting.

At the moment it feels like the presenter/researcher/reporter aimed for one story, when that didn't materialise he stumbled onto another story, which didn't amount to much so he stumbled onto a third story and that was unresolved so he just wrapped it up with something else.

I'll come back and give my final verdict later

Part way through episode 6 and I've really enjoyed it and found it fascinating, but I also feel like this. It kinda feels like there was a story that became a mystery that became a character study. And it is fascinating but is there a full stop pay off at the end? 

My only real criticism is the third episode

Spoiler

The emotion from presenter just sounded exceptionally false to me

That's not really even a criticism I guess, but it felt wrong to my ears somehow.

But I can't deny I've enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Part way through episode 6 and I've really enjoyed it and found it fascinating, but I also feel like this. It kinda feels like there was a story that became a mystery that became a character study. And it is fascinating but is there a full stop pay off at the end? 

My only real criticism is the third episode

Hide contents

The emotion from presenter just sounded exceptionally false to me

That's not really even a criticism I guess, but it felt wrong to my ears somehow.

But I can't deny I've enjoyed it.

Yeah i think I'm where you are. It felt like (and I won't spoil anything below you haven't already listened to, the tag is for people who haven't' listened at all)

Spoiler

He started off looking for a story about this murder, that was solved uneventfully so he tried to make it about climate change briefly. That was a dead end so he focused on the mystery surrounding John's suicide and specifically the hunt for the gold, but that seemed to hit a dead end.

So then like you said he just ended up using it as a study of John himself.

Unless something drastic happens in the last hour then I can't see how it's going to end any differently

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I've finished it. No change to my opinion above really.

I really enjoyed it, and it wraps up quite nicely.

But I think I was led to thinking it was a story about one thing and it ended up being a story about another (and a lot of other things along the way). I think the presenter probably had the same experience writing it. He never really knew what it was going to be about.

• Like 1

Also just finished it.

Yeah can't disagree, I found it fascinating but it's clear it's a meandering thing that the presenter has taken a trip through. It's 3 stories that happen to revolve around a common entity.

A really really good listen that doesn't quite become something truly incredible, even of the presenter desperately tries to with a somewhat trite ending.

And I still think that moment in the third episode was exceptionally false.

Spoiler

It's odd.. I kinda felt like John was such a fascinating guy you'd want to have a drink with him, but clearly he had mental health problems and his loneliness and somewhat repressed sexuality would ultimately prevent you ever truly being a friend to him.

They didn't resolve the gold thing either. Where was the money coming from? A guy saying he thought spent it all doesn't say much...

But still, really good.

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Also just finished it.

Yeah can't disagree, I found it fascinating but it's clear it's a meandering thing that the presenter has taken a trip through. It's 3 stories that happen to revolve around a common entity.

A really really good listen that doesn't quite become something truly incredible, even of the presenter desperately tries to with a somewhat trite ending.

And I still think that moment in the third episode was exceptionally false.

Hide contents

It's odd.. I kinda felt like John was such a fascinating guy you'd want to have a drink with him, but clearly he had mental health problems and his loneliness and somewhat repressed sexuality would ultimately prevent you ever truly being a friend to him.

They didn't resolve the gold thing either. Where was the money coming from? A guy saying he thought spent it all doesn't say much...

But still, really good.

That was the most disappointing part.

Spoiler

Despite the whole murder thing being false, I really thought it was going to develop into a mystery surrounding John's estate and where this gold was, ending up with a struggle between Tyler and the cousins. It's like it warmed us up for that and then it just dissipated into nothing. That could have been really interesting, instead of just a small side story in what I guess was ultimately a story about the deep south.

I'm really torn by it. On one hand I liked it, but on the other I feel really disappointed. I feel like if I'd gone into it knowing what it was, then I'd be much happier about it. But because I went in expecting one thing, then expecting another and ending up with neither, I find myself slightly cold.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That was the most disappointing part.

Reveal hidden contents

Despite the whole murder thing being false, I really thought it was going to develop into a mystery surrounding John's estate and where this gold was, ending up with a struggle between Tyler and the cousins. It's like it warmed us up for that and then it just dissipated into nothing. That could have been really interesting, instead of just a small side story in what I guess was ultimately a story about the deep south.

I'm really torn by it. On one hand I liked it, but on the other I feel really disappointed. I feel like if I'd gone into it knowing what it was, then I'd be much happier about it. But because I went in expecting one thing, then expecting another and ending up with neither, I find myself slightly cold.

Spoiler

It actually ties up almost nothing.

Everything with Tyler. The money. The gold. The estate...

John was interesting, his story is interesting... But resolve something. Even the conclusions of the character study are vague, because there were no answers to John.

It's fascinating and enjoyable, one of the best new things I've listened to since the Parapod, but...

• 1 month later...

The recent Adam Buxton episode with Adam Curtis was really very good. Thought provoking and informative but so much in there I'm going to have to listen to it again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

The recent Adam Buxton episode with Adam Curtis was really very good. Thought provoking and informative but so much in there I'm going to have to listen to it again.

I listened to that and it blew my mind a little, I couldn't grasp a fair bit of what he was saying. I'm a fairly simple man.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I listened to that and it blew my mind a little, I couldn't grasp a fair bit of what he was saying. I'm a fairly simple man.

I know what you mean. I want to get a transcript and work through it all at my own pace. Almost everything he said, I wanted to sit and ponder and then research a bit. He is undoubtedly a very clever man, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything he says.

• Like 1

Ooh sounds good. The Adam Buxton podcast has become one of my top 3 go to podcasts now. So good - I barely know any of the guests, but even when you do the chat's are so entertaining.  

Â