Podcasts

The_Rev

Last Podcast on the Left celebrates their 300th(ish) episode by beginning a series on Jonestown. 

They've done Jonestown briefly before, mentioning the aftermath in a compilation episode. This is one of those topics I feel a little strange about. I know the story of Jonestown, what happened, and I've heard the infamous tape, which makes me feel strange even thinking about it. You're literally listening to a group of people have a debate about killing themselves. And it ends all too closely to their own ends, with kids crying and people panicking clearly in the background. And you can't escape the thoughts of the bodies photographed from the air.

I think this is a series I'll listen to with trepidation. But then again their stuff on cults in the last 2 years has been fantastic. The Aum series was great, even if Henry does resort to stereotyping a little too much in it.

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I’ll be listening to that over the weekend.

@Chindie you really should give true grime garage a listen, I think it’s great.

I'll add it to the list, I have loads of podcasts on the go and have managed to get a bit of a backlog over Christmas. I'm behind on LPOTL and their stablemates, and a bunch of others too, but I'll try and listen to a few and see if I like it.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'll add it to the list, I have loads of podcasts on the go and have managed to get a bit of a backlog over Christmas. I'm behind on LPOTL and their stablemates, and a bunch of others too, but I'll try and listen to a few and see if I like it.

I have about 12 on the go but it’s quickly become my favorite podcast, really well researched and presented. I will be donating as well which is a first for me.

• 3 weeks later...

New Hardcore History!

Blitz edition (just the 4 hours or so...) called 'Painfotainment'. Might be a bit different. He mentioned having an interest in the darker side of history on the Munster Rebellion episode...

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone listening to "West Cork"

Unfortunately it's an Audible exclusive I believe so I think you can only listen to it through there, although I'm sure it can be acquired.

It's very much along the same lines as Serial, Making a Murderer, S-Town etc. It focuses on the murder of a French lady in rural Ireland and the subsequent investigation.
What makes this far more interesting for me, is it takes place in and around the tiny village in Ireland where my mom is from and where I visit every year!

It's quite bizarre hearing people I have met being interviewed on a show like this!

I'm about halfway through but it's great stuff.

Edited by Stevo985

On 30/04/2018 at 14:15, Stevo985 said:

Anyone listening to "West Cork"

Unfortunately it's an Audible exclusive I believe so I think you can only listen to it through there, although I'm sure it can be acquired.

It's very much along the same lines as Serial, Making a Murderer, S-Town etc. It focuses on the murder of a French lady in rural Ireland and the subsequent investigation.
What makes this far more interesting for me, is it takes place in and around the tiny village in Ireland where my mom is from and where I visit every year!

It's quite bizarre hearing people I have met being interviewed on a show like this!

I'm about halfway through but it's great stuff.

Finished it and would definitely recommend it.

Very Serial-esque.

Even having known quite a lot about the case I found out a lot of stuff I didn't know. It's amazing what is told as essentially the "truth" by the locals (from my own experience) is clearly not the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an occasional listener to the Joe Rogan Experience, and caught his episode this week with Tim Kennedy.

The man is basically a parody. Infuriating to listen to. 

• 1 month later...
On 15/07/2018 at 00:09, Chindie said:

New Hardcore History.

First part of a series on the Asia-Pacific conflict of 1937 - 45.

Love it! 

Late to the party, but recently got into “The Complete Guide to Everything”. I was looking for an informative podcast in the vein of “Stuff you should know” or “The Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry” and listened to TCGTE thinking it was similar.

Needless to say it’s not particularly informative but it is very entertaining and often very funny. Definitely not for everyone but if you like a rambling conversation between two mates frequently annoyed with life and each other, it’s well worth a listen.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Just a few from the list I have subscribed:

The Magic Sponge - Absolutely hilarious, worth a listen for Bullard alone. There is an episode with Lee Hendrie talking about his Villa career and it is brilliant... talks about the Stefan Postma incident.

Flintoff, Savage & the Ping Pong Guy - By far the best podcast around, for those who don't like Savage because of history with Blues have a listen and I'm sure it will change your perception of him.

Soccer AM Podcast - Worth a listen as they have an ex-pro on each week. Nigel Reo-Coker talks briefly about Villa.

Quickly Kevin, will he score? - A look back at 90's football with a few ex-pro's interviewed.

Football Weekly - A worthwile listen when the season is on to keep updated.

I'm going to give Hardcore History a go from the above reviews ?

On 14/07/2018 at 23:09, Chindie said:

New Hardcore History.

First part of a series on the Asia-Pacific conflict of 1937 - 45.

16 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm bang on that ?

12 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Love it! 

Good episode. It's pretty much entirely scene setting for the position Japan was in leading into the Second World War, but as that's effectively 300 years of some of the more fascinating societal change in history, ending with a period that isn't that well known in the West (where we only tend to know the big events, like the Chinese occupation), it's a good listen.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to Atlanta Monster atm. True Crime podcast that has a murky subject matter.

Only a few episodes in and so not entirely sure where it's going yet but I felt the need to come here and say that the sound is really winding me up. Background music is so loud at times it's hard to actually hear what they are saying. Whoever has done the music has a bit of a John Carpenter soundtrack love affair going on so I kind of give him kudos for that but it strikes me as one of those where the makers have got a bit carried away with themselves. Just stick to the words and tell the story - it's a podcast FFS.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 10:16, wilko154 said:

for those who don't like Savage because of history with Blues have a listen and I'm sure it will change your perception of him.

Entirely unlikely.  

And my distaste for him has nothing to do with his history with Blues. It’s because he’s a  nob ;) 

Image result for robbie savage headbutt gif

I can't imagine ever having my perception of that moron altered.

Anyway, I thought I'd give Hardcore History a try a little while ago, and downloaded 'Kings of Kings'.  It was interesting but there seemed to be a lot of tangents, and I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped - then again, I'm not sure if it was the best one to start with.  Anyone recommend a different episode as a starting point or are they all like that?

1 hour ago, Troglodyte said:

Image result for robbie savage headbutt gif

I can't imagine ever having my perception of that moron altered.

Anyway, I thought I'd give Hardcore History a try a little while ago, and downloaded 'Kings of Kings'.  It was interesting but there seemed to be a lot of tangents, and I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped - then again, I'm not sure if it was the best one to start with.  Anyone recommend a different episode as a starting point or are they all like that?

King of Kings isn't his best series. Carlin does go off on tangents, he follows through on things he finds interesting in the stories he tells and then comes back to the main through line in every series (infamously he wanted to do the story of Cleopatra and ended up doing the story of the fall of the Roman republic because he couldn't find a good place to start - it ended up being 6 episodes long and the final episode was 6 hours long), but King of Kings is probably one of the more muddled series he's done. 

The best series he's done imo are

• Ghosts of the Ostfront - 4 episodes on the story of the conflict between the Nazis and Soviets in the Second World War.
  • Punic Nightmares - 3 episodes on the Punic Wars, the conflicts between the Romans and Carthage that became some of the most vicious wars Rome fought
  • Death Throes of the Republic - 6 episodes on the fall of the Roman Republic. Probably the best thing he's done, it's long but the through line is strong and the tangents he takes are mostly examinations of the figures in the story that colour it further, for example going into Caeser's influence as a 'cool' figure in Rome.
  • Blueprint for Armageddon - The First World War. Another big series, he trims whole elements out just to keep the thing vaguely on track, and the tangents again are mostly for colour/horror (bar a few instances where he goes more in depth, like a section where he discusses a naval battle in depth because he finds the story so interesting, and a couple of times where he just raises interesting questions, like his wondering as a kid which nation was the bravest in the War)
  • Prophets of Doom - a one off, and my favourite episode. It examines the story of the Munster Rebellion, which isn't much known in the English speaking world, and ends of being a fairly straight telling of the story with Carlin basically trying to emphasise the madness of the whole thing and place it in the context of it's time and the things happening in the world at that moment. It's probably the most darkly funny episode he's done because of how bizarre the story gets to a modern audience. Carlin himself doesn't like the episode and ends with an epilogue trying to explain why.
  • Destroyer of Worlds - a recent one off that goes through the history of nuclear weapons, ending with the Cuban Missile Crisis. This tries to deal with the developing impact of atomic weapons and how those developments interact with the events outside them and the things those developments prompt. There are tangents but they are again to colour the story and the figures within it, or to raise and examine questions about aspects of the history and the thoughts of the time.

Most of those are now on his paid archive unfortunately. If you have the time/commitment/interest, Blueprint is absolutely excellent and still free. But it is 6 episodes long and each is 3hrs+ iirc. Because it's likely a story you already know the framework of it helps keep track of things.

If you want less commitment and a chance to get your ear in with the podcady, Destroyer is excellent and as more modern history has a few recordings added in which anchor things as break it up, and is also still free.

Edited by Chindie
  • Thanks 1

Â