Podcasts

The_Rev

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The second series falls off a cliff.

Goes from absolutely riviting to mildly interesting occasionally.

Been wondering why specifically this is. I just couldn't give a toss, but there's no reason to give a toss about the first one either. Objectively I don't really even know why I found it so gripping.

32 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Been wondering why specifically this is. I just couldn't give a toss, but there's no reason to give a toss about the first one either. Objectively I don't really even know why I found it so gripping.

It's a couple of things for me. The first series was a classic whodunnit really, but very tangible as well. You could instantly grasp the ideas in play and it's not an abstract idea - a young girl is murdered in a western city, the accused might not have done it, and each week we'll examine the evidence with interviews from a small group of interested parties. The second is a bit aimless, the idea seems to be to try to understand why Bergdahl did what he did, but that mystery isn't tangible, and there's too many people involved, and it's all a bit dull.

The second thing I've concluded is that the first series has it's producers more engaged. They did everything, they took out from square one and were obsessed with it, Koenig was absolutely obsessed with Adnan and the case. Whereas the second stinks of them bumming around trying to think of a follow up that would pass muster, struggling, and having this story drop on their lap by someone who wants to publicise the story for a documentary. They aren't invested, it's largely a story everyone already knows and noone cares what Bergdahl was thinking when he wandered off...

So it's a bit meh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's a couple of things for me. The first series was a classic whodunnit really, but very tangible as well. You could instantly grasp the ideas in play and it's not an abstract idea - a young girl is murdered in a western city, the accused might not have done it, and each week we'll examine the evidence with interviews from a small group of interested parties. The second is a bit aimless, the idea seems to be to try to understand why Bergdahl did what he did, but that mystery isn't tangible, and there's too many people involved, and it's all a bit dull.

The second thing I've concluded is that the first series has it's producers more engaged. They did everything, they took out from square one and were obsessed with it, Koenig was absolutely obsessed with Adnan and the case. Whereas the second stinks of them bumming around trying to think of a follow up that would pass muster, struggling, and having this story drop on their lap by someone who wants to publicise the story for a documentary. They aren't invested, it's largely a story everyone already knows and noone cares what Bergdahl was thinking when he wandered off...

So it's a bit meh.

Yep. That's definitely a fair assessment of the second one. The first on, in my case at least, probably was more about Koenig's own investment in it and my being professionally a bit of geek for storytelling.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

I'm enjoying the second series more for the army and Taliban background information than the main characters motives.

Very much agree with this as well. I've not bought into it at all but I'm still listening because there's some interesting background going on.

Also, that partial covering of the Syed court case was weird, eh?

Currently binging on 'Answer me this' with the  Olly Mann and the wonderful Helen  Zaltzman. I'm a little annoyed with myself I'd not subscribed to it earlier. 

Caught up on Serial.

I'm still really enjoying Season 2, but agree it's not a patch on Season 1. There's one reason for that, imo. No mystery. It's an interesting story, but there's no sense of "Whodunnit"

• 4 weeks later...

Second series of Serial finished today.

Possibly the most 'meh' finale to anything ever. Even Koenig sounded forced in her enthusiasm with the damp squib announcement it was the final episode. Some interesting moments, as have been scattered throughout the series, usually the perspectives of the differing military heads involved, but ultimately we end the show where we started, something which shocks no-one.

The guys behind Joypod (minus Michael, who is too busy making board games in the US presumably) are back with a new, apparently but in actuality definitely won't be, weekly games podcast, the Computer Game Show.

First episode is a little bland, you can tell it's trying to get back into the swing of things and doesn't quite have the swagger or incredulous humour of Joypod (I think this might be a conscious choice to be different) but it's good to have them back.

Midnight Resistance finally returned this week as well with a decent episode. They seemingly took 3 months off to update the website to a Square Space template, but never mind it's nice to have another British games podcast on the go.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Athletico (sic) Mince football podcasts, with Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson.

I really wanted to like it as I loved Bob much more than Vic but I gave up after about 4 or 5 goes. 

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I really wanted to like it as I loved Bob much more than Vic but I gave up after about 4 or 5 goes. 

I'm about 7 episodes in but still enjoying it. Bob's a lot funnier than the other guy (Andy) IMO. He's still got it.

• 6 months later...
On 21/02/2016 at 17:23, Chindie said:

The Parapod is worth a listen. 2 comedians, Ray Peacock and Barry Dodds, discuss hauntings and strange rituals (think stupidly elaborate versions of Bloody Mary games). But that's not really the point. Barry is a bit thick and a believer in hauntings and the paranormal, Ray is an absolute skeptic, and most episodes quickly descend into pisstaking, which can be very funny. They also do short extra episodes where they look at the ghost hunting equipment Barry has which are worth a listen as well.

The third series of the Parapod starts this week. In preparation I've done a rerun of the first 2, and it never gets old. The second series, Mysteries, was probably a little weaker than the first, mostly because Barry was broken by the first series and his interest is really only hauntings, but it's still hilarious.

This series is Conspiracies, I dearly await the Moon landing episode that has to be coming... Ian (the artist formerly known as Ray) has said he might actually argue for some of the conspiracies to add a nice twist.

:D

• 5 weeks later...

Just stumbled into this thread down the list and noticed the love for serial. Didn't see a mention for Untold: The Daniel Morgan murder, so thought I'd leave a link here

http://www.untoldmurder.com/eps/

Nowhere near as enthralling as serial series 1 but anyone that was interested in that will probably get something out of this. Also in going there to get this link I notice theres an update from Jan this year on there so I'm listening to it now.

Â