Podcasts

The_Rev

10 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I don't know why but I have absolutely zero interest in any football podcasts.

I'm not interested any which discuss modern football but I like the ones that have retrospectives of peoples careers. They don't have to be stars, just lower league players. Some of the stuff they reveal is great. 

Try this

Macrovoices: If you are interested in the way the world works - money. Lot's of differing guests with views on all parts of the global economy, though focussed on things from a Wall Street perspective. At a minimum have a listen to the Eurodollar University series.

Human Performance Outliers: Couple of guys taking a real hard look at the food pyramid paradigm coming from the low carb and pure carnivore background. Lots of super interesting interviews with people doing research and those who have been directly able to improve all sorts of parts of their lives via their diet. Not sold on all of it, but very interesting stuff and so many things showing the fraud that is so much of the bio-science realm.

The Daily by the New York Times popped up on my Spotify Daily Drive playlist today. Currently doing a series on Europe which I found quite interesting, though I disagreed with some of what was being said. 20 mins of topical stuff 5 days a week

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

May as well stick the link in here as well now that you can find it on Apple Podcasts.

I made a podcast with some friends. It's about Fantasy Premier League and fully intend to keep it going.

Check it out here if you fancy :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

May as well stick the link in here as well now that you can find it on Apple Podcasts.

I made a podcast with some friends. It's about Fantasy Premier League and fully intend to keep it going.

I didn’t expect you to sound like that lol. 

Nice one mate 👍🏼

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2019 at 22:19, Stevo985 said:

Episode 2 out ;) 

Last Podcast on the Left's (possibly controversial series) on Mormonism has been excellent.

I knew Joseph Smith was a charlatan but ****, his story is ridiculous. How anyone took him seriously (and still does?!) is crazy.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

Last Podcast on the Left's (possibly controversial series) on Mormonism has been excellent.

I knew Joseph Smith was a charlatan but ****, his story is ridiculous. How anyone took him seriously (and still does?!) is crazy.

As usual Parker and Stone nailed it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 22:19, Stevo985 said:

We're 4 episodes deep now. I think that makes us a proper podcast :)

Give us a listen if you haven't already :D 

• 3 weeks later...

i'll give that a try, only recently caught the podcast buzz, great for work

listened to the clash one on spotify and that was excellent, the 25th year anniversary special of definitely maybe and that was just ok which I consider disappointing, the star wars one star calls which is ok, I enjoy hip hop saved my life but don't listen to every guest (its surprising which guests are good, Jamie redknapp for example is pretty good), listened to scroobius pip's one but only the kano episode and don't know what to make of him yet, around the NFL pre game Thursday and post games Monday, really didn't like the football ramble (their villa knowledge was shit)

got my old man said, frank skinner, Kermode and mayos and james king cinema stories lined up to go, not sure about the cinema ones as im removed from what's going on (been to the cinema once this year)

any gaming ones worth a listen?

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i'll give that a try, only recently caught the podcast buzz, great for work

listened to the clash one on spotify and that was excellent, the 25th year anniversary special of definitely maybe and that was just ok which I consider disappointing, the star wars one star calls which is ok, I enjoy hip hop saved my life but don't listen to every guest (its surprising which guests are good, Jamie redknapp for example is pretty good), listened to scroobius pip's one but only the kano episode and don't know what to make of him yet, around the NFL pre game Thursday and post games Monday, really didn't like the football ramble (their villa knowledge was shit)

got my old man said, frank skinner, Kermode and mayos and james king cinema stories lined up to go, not sure about the cinema ones as im removed from what's going on (been to the cinema once this year)

any gaming ones worth a listen?

If you like Star Calls then try The Computer Game Show. Star Calls is basically a spin off of the show. It's still not quite as good as Joypod, their old show from a few years back, there's a bit too much trying to grow the show stuff, but it's a good listen every week.

GiantBomb's podcast used to be one of the best but it's become very hit and miss with the guys getting older and, particularly, the introduction of one new voice who is insufferable. When it's good it's still great, but it's not the standout it was. Some people like their other podcast, the GiantBeastcast, with their East Coast office, but it's never really clicked with me.

Cane and Rinse can be a good listen, it's a UK podcast that covers an older game an episode, doing a retrospective over a couple of hours with a rolling panel of guests talking about their experience of the game etc etc. There's hundreds of episodes, they often do 'series' of episodes where once a month or so they'll cover the next installment of a series like Final Fantasy, in order. Can be a bit dry and it's the kind of podcast you'll jump in and out of depending on the game.

Wizard and the Bruiser covers geek culture history stuff with a comedic bent that often covers gaming stuff. It's a sister podcast to Last Podcast on the Left, but it's quite different. Oddly I've not listened to it in a while because their topic selection went to a bunch of stuff I had no interest in, but older episodes are great, stuff like a series on the history of Zelda etc. They also cover stuff like anime, cult classic geek movie series, down to stuff like individual writers or creatives.

If you like Jim Sterling, try the Jimquisition podcast. Its him, games writer Laura K Buzz and another guy discussing the week in gaming. You have to like Jim and expect to hear a lot of the same topics - how the gaming industry has horrible business practices, how gaming culture has some grim elements etc etc. If you don't like Jim Sterling, avoid like the plague.

I listen to tonnes of podcasts. Top ones for me

Last Podcast on the Left - comedy podcast about the macabre and supernatural. Absolutely not for everyone, and the ads have gotten overbearing, but on form nothing touches it. The backlog is a treasure trove of hilarity.

Hardcore History - the best history podcast. Very irregular release schedule, but nobody does it better.

The Parapod - a now finished podcast of 2 British comedians, 1 believer and 1 skeptic, covering 3 series on different topics - ghosts, mysteries, and conspiracies. First series is literally perfect.

Chart Music - Al Needham and 2 music journalists cover an old episode of Top of the Pops. Very funny, and curiously interesting, I never even watched Top of the Pops. I find one of the guests maddening to listen to but otherwise it's great, and Al is a phenomenon.

Remainiacs - analysis of the week in politics from a Remain standpoint. Very well made and informative, on the downside it can be a little too middle-class smug and at its low points comes across as People's Vote propaganda.

Cake Watch - similar to Remainiacs but more home brew. 2 guys with EU connections (1 a current EU bureaucrat, the other formerly so) cover the week in Brexit, a bit more down to earth than Remainiacs.

Arms Control Wonk - irregular podcast on arms issues, usually about international incidents or new information 

• Like 2

My podcasts tend to be Vegas centred, Five Hundy By Midnight, The Vegas Club and Faces & Aces. They help me get ready for my next visit.

I am also listening to the 100 song demo, its a song a week from a band called The Evangenitals, who I love with a little background on the song.

Mysterious Mr Epstein is a very good series.

Casefile is a great true crime one.

They walk among us is a good UK true crime one.

Shaun Atwood’s true crime podcast has regular interviews with people who have done significant stretches in prison.

Â