Podcasts

The_Rev

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

That's one of his best series. Not a bad place to start!

He only keeps series free for a couple of years, after that you have to buy them from his website. They aren't expensive at all and well worth it. Definitely look into the older series if you enjoy Blueprint.

Will do. I think I started years ago with one of his older series. I'm sure it was about an invasion of Russia but it's so long ago I can't remember if it was Hitler or Napoleon :D

Will give the free stuff a listen and then go back and buy some old stuff if I fancy it.

• Like 1

I am after something new to listen to. I have only been listening to podcasts for a few months but I am pretty hooked. If I’m in the car on my own it’s all I listen to. I have currently stuck to crime or business start-ups. Can anyone recommend something I may like?

So far I have listened to:

Serial - love this, particularly season 1

Crime Town - Season 1 was amazing, season 2 has been pretty good as well.

Start Up - Most of these were really interesting, not so keen on the Church planting or school series however.

Without Fail – Only been a few episodes but similar to start up.

Shattered – Directed to this from crime town season 2 with the link of White Boy Rick. Listened to both seasons now and they are very good.

Criminal – Only just started listening to this (4 episodes in), seems OK so far but not instantly hooked.

On the radar already: Reply All

Quick summary of some that I listen to:

True Crime Podcasts:

True Crime Garage - American banter but also quite factual, one of my favourites

Last podcast on the left - American banter and borderline comedy, also includes serial killers/cults/paranormal discussions

Generation Why - American discussion based, quite factual and more dry than the others, interesting cases covered where people have been wrongly accused etc..

Trace Evidence - American, hosted by one person and script based. Very factual and thorough but generally only covers unsolved missing persons cases

Those Conspiracy Guys - Irish banter based but also factual, covers world issues and also serial killers etc.. very thorough and podcasts are often 5 hours long.

Interview Based:

Distraction Pieces with Scroobius Pip - interviews a different person each week, sometimes celebrity based other times just interesting people who have done remarkable things

Hardcore Listing - a Top 5 based podcast on everything from Top 5 Beers to Top 5 Sex Toys, british guys hosting and banter format

• Thanks 1

Casefile is a very good true crime podcast. Australian host, just runs through the story of various crimes, mostly US/Australian/British focused, usually lesser known things (and not always just murders etc - the first episode deals with the Taman Shud case for instance, which I recommend not looking up before listening if you don't know it). These sometimes run to multiple episodes. Can be a bit long winded and it has a slight undercurrent of 'right-on-ness' sometimes, but it's very good.

I'd second the Last Podcast recommendation, but caveated - it's not a series for everyone. It's my favourite podcast by miles, but some people will hate it. It's hosted by 3 Americans, 1 of which was in Wolf of Wall Street in a minor role, and takes a comedic look at various macabre or supernatural subjects. I often find it exceptionally funny, but some of the humour can be pitch black, sometimes getting close to the line of racism. If you don't think you can find humour in stuff like serial killer cases, it's probably not for you. They tend to take a line of mocking the horrible people they discuss, and trying to finishing any aura their actions have given them by taking the piss. The podcast covers everything from serial killers to cryptids and aliens and conspiracies. Absolutely not for everyone though.

• Thanks 1

I've recently developed an obsession with Chart Music  which is ostensibly a podcast where a bunch of people spend three or four hours reviewing individual episodes of Top of the Pops.   I think it's fair to say it's a niche product, the episodes are long and the release dates are erratic and I think you absolutely have to be of an age where you've got memories (or at least an awareness of) TotP.   Pretty much all of the people on the show are ex Melody Maker writers from the 90s, Al Needham hosts and there is a rotating crew of about half a dozen who take up the other two spots in a three man show.  Most of the episodes they review seem to be late seventies through to mid eighties, I was a very young kid back then so it feels a bit like the stuff my older brother would have been into had I actually had an older brother.  They do go into the mid 90s from time to time, but it seems they prefer to reminisce about the episodes of the show that were on when they were kids.  Obviously it touches on other stuff too, pop culture and news events of the time. It can feel cynical for cynicism's sake at times but once you get to know the cast of characters who appear on the show then that kinda doesn't matter any more. Some of the stuff is comedy gold too, the recent Xmas episode where one of the guys states the reason he doesn't buy into Noel Edmund's cosmic energy bullshit is almost certainly the funniest thing I've ever heard on a podcast.   I'd say if you were born between 1the mid sixties and the early eighties (ish) and grew up with Top of the Pops in your house then you should check it out.  

On 15/01/2019 at 22:07, Stevo985 said:

I downloaded these (not these new ones, I mean other Hardcore History episodes) aaaaages ago and never listened to them. Your posts reminded me of them so just started one. It's great so far. I've a lot of catching up to do :D 

Where did you get them all from, there isn't many on the Podcast app on the iphone?

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Where did you get them all from, there isn't many on the Podcast app on the iphone?

The ones I'm listening to are on the app on the phone. Chindie said that they only have so many available for free on iTunes. The rest you have to buy from their (his?) website.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Hardcore History episodes are free for about 2 years. They then are only available from Dan Carlin's website for purchase.

He’s been called a lot of things, but no one says that Dan Carlin is boring. His two long-running podcasts are among the most popular in the world. Part storyteller, part analyst, Carlin has mastered the art of looking at subjects from multiple angles and dissecting and thinking about them in original ways. He isn’t afraid to go deep or to inject historical context into modern debates. Whether it’s history or current events he’s discussing, his passion is contagious, his approach refreshing and his ideas tickle your brain in all the right places. He’ll make you mad too. You’ll like it.

They aren't expensive, and certainly not for the quality and extent of a lot it. His series on the fall of the Roman Republic, Death Throes of the Republic, is about 15 hours long, and you can buy it for $10. One off episodes are $2, like my favourite, Prophets of Doom.

Currently free episodes are

• Blueprint for Armageddon - 6 episodes on the First World War
  • King of Kings - 3 episodes on the Archaeminid Persian Empire (the guys most famously fought by the Spartans)
  • Destroyer of Worlds - single episode on the history of nuclear weapons through to the Cuban missile crisis
  • The Celtic Holocaust - single episode on Caeser's Gallic campaign
  • Painfotainment - single episode on the history of execution
  • Supernova in the East - currently ongoing series on Japan, beginning with a look at how Japan developed prior to the 20th Century in its interactions with the rest of the world, then moving onto how Japan switched to empire building, and a second episode focusing on the beginnings of Japan's involvement in WW2, how the rest of the world interacted with it and how it tried to use the situation to its advantage.

The one off episodes there are about 4 hours each, and all very good. King of Kings is one of his weaker series imo, but I think that is mostly because I'm not that interested in the subject and it's covering too great a period of time without enough 'good' historical sources. Blueprint for Armageddon is one of his best, and it's massive, the series is about 25 hours long.

He also has a couple of other podcasts. There's a new one, Hardcore History Addendum, which covers shorter subjects and interviews, things like 'which was better, the First or Second World War German army?', the USS Indianapolis disaster, and discussions with historians. And he also has the Common Sense podcast, which is mostly about US contemporary politics, but episodes of that these days are extremely rare. The last one was May last year and even prior to that he was putting out one every couple of months max.

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:38, Chindie said:

Casefile is a very good true crime podcast. Australian host, just runs through the story of various crimes, mostly US/Australian/British focused, usually lesser known things (and not always just murders etc - the first episode deals with the Taman Shud case for instance, which I recommend not looking up before listening if you don't know it). These sometimes run to multiple episodes. Can be a bit long winded and it has a slight undercurrent of 'right-on-ness' sometimes, but it's very good.

Yeah I just want to second Case File as well, I only recently started on this one so it wasn't in my original list about a week ago,

Its very professionally done and engaging considering its scripted and only one person. 

I've just finished listening to his 3 parter on the Silk Road (online version). Its absolutely brilliant. I knew the story off hand anyway but its so well done and researched I can't speak highly enough of it.

On 27/01/2019 at 00:33, The_Rev said:

I've recently developed an obsession with Chart Music  which is ostensibly a podcast where a bunch of people spend three or four hours reviewing individual episodes of Top of the Pops.   I think it's fair to say it's a niche product, the episodes are long and the release dates are erratic and I think you absolutely have to be of an age where you've got memories (or at least an awareness of) TotP.   Pretty much all of the people on the show are ex Melody Maker writers from the 90s, Al Needham hosts and there is a rotating crew of about half a dozen who take up the other two spots in a three man show.  Most of the episodes they review seem to be late seventies through to mid eighties, I was a very young kid back then so it feels a bit like the stuff my older brother would have been into had I actually had an older brother.  They do go into the mid 90s from time to time, but it seems they prefer to reminisce about the episodes of the show that were on when they were kids.  Obviously it touches on other stuff too, pop culture and news events of the time. It can feel cynical for cynicism's sake at times but once you get to know the cast of characters who appear on the show then that kinda doesn't matter any more. Some of the stuff is comedy gold too, the recent Xmas episode where one of the guys states the reason he doesn't buy into Noel Edmund's cosmic energy bullshit is almost certainly the funniest thing I've ever heard on a podcast.   I'd say if you were born between 1the mid sixties and the early eighties (ish) and grew up with Top of the Pops in your house then you should check it out.  

Even though it's almost universally before my time (and I never watched Top of the Pops regardless), I've enjoyed listening to a couple of episodes of this for the social commentary and the sarcastic pisstaking of bands and figures that have entered the public consciousness regardless of whether you actually had any experience of them. It's genuinely funny, and Taylor Parkes has a knack of being very, very cutting in his comments that are often hilarious.

A criticism though. David Stubbs should be punched in the crotch every time he says 'you know'. He says it literally dozens of times every time he opens his mouth. Couple that to his Fulham-y, self satisfied accent and rambling, not quite stream of consciousness reminiscing style, and it's like he's doing a riff on the pissed toff from the Fast Show. He's infuriating to listen to. The episodes he's on he very nearly ruins.

Oh I'm in deep now. I listened to the most recent two or three as they were released, then cherry picked episodes which were either ones I'd remember watching or lined up with significant dates in my life (they had one from the very week I was born for example) and now I'm mopping up the ones I've missed in chronological order of release. The very early ones aren't as good, the sound quality is poor and it's a bit dry. It's not po faced per se, but they are channeling Jukebox Jury a bit too much for my liking. I'm waiting for it to go full bummerdog and it's not happened yet. 

As for the guests? I kinda like them all. I can remember some of them from when I read Melody Maker back in the 90s and I bought Simon Price's book about The Manic Street Preachers on the day it was released so there's definitely a warmth there on my part before it's even started. The TotP nostalgia is a huge thing for me too, I can never not remember it being on when I was a kid as my mum watched it so even the early 80s Yellow Pearl days of DLT and Gary Davies are familiar to me even if I don't remember all of the music. It's super interesting to revisit and see through other people's eyes. It's my favourite new podcast in years.  

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Bbc World Service have a cast called “The Hurricane Tapes” about the trial of former boxer Ruben Carter. Never heard of the story before, it’s a really interesting listen. 

Decent film with Denzil Washington as well

Plus Bob Dylan wrote a song about him

Edited by Xela

• 1 month later...

The latest episode of Last Podcast on the Left, part 2 of the series of completely insane murderer Joseph Kallinger, has one of the funniest things I've ever heard on a podcast, 'Charlie'.

'JOSEPH YOU OLD HORSES ASS! CHICKEN BRAIN! **** UP! YOU'RE A REAL LAUGH YOU KNOW THAT?! IF YOU'RE GONNA BE GOD THEN I'M THE HOLY GHOST AND I'M GONNA **** THE VIRGIN MARY!

...WOW!'

• 2 months later...

Football podcast Under the Cosh. 

The Dean Windass one is great. Its on Youtube as well, which has the video of the filming of it. 

Football Ramble is still the best football podcast out there imo.

I dip in and out of plenty of others, and there are some great ones out there.

But the Ramble suits me down to the ground. 

• Like 1

Â