Podcasts

The_Rev

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Henry is on form in this episode, I laughed out loud a few times. Would be a great starter episode for anyone thinking of giving it a try. My next recommendation would be the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng episodes.

I always recommend going for the alien and 'monster' episodes as a way of easing in. The stories in those are so stupid the laughs pour out of them - i listened to the Gulf Breeze incident series again last week and the long running discussion of the ufo being mistaken for a broken pool pump had me nearly in tears.

The heavy hitter episodes can be a bit too much to start with, I find you have to get your bearings with the kind of comedy they do before going into them discussing serial killers. I made the mistake of listening to the Richard Chase episodes the other day when my mind wasn't in the right place for it and... Yeah. Very funny in parts, but also horrific. And even with their approach of mocking the killers and trying to use humour to take away the fear and disgust of what was done, a few episodes still disturb.

12 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Henry is on form in this episode, I laughed out loud a few times. Would be a great starter episode for anyone thinking of giving it a try. My next recommendation would be the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng episodes.

Those Ng episodes have resulted in us having to listen to the incapable idiot continuously resorting to the crap Asian imitation for a laugh (mostly it's by accident as he's such a rubbish "actor"). Deserves a good that punch every time he does it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2017 at 13:56, Paddywhack said:

I don't think many people on here like Athletico Mince, but I went to see them live at the Old Rep on Tuesday with @Rob182and @lapal_fan.

It was funny, but it did feel like we were 'seeing behind the curtain' a bit because Bob Mortimer read all of his stories off his laptop or phone.

I've only just discovered this! The sounds of Newcastle Train Station has just made me ill, laughing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I love him, I think Bob Mortimer might be the funniest person on the planet.

Had been following his progress since his illness.

Picked up an Athletico Mince football shirt when he crowdfunded a batch.

Not really to wear, just to show some support.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found a new podcast over Christmas and i'm really loving it at the minute.

Its called True Crime Garage and hosted by 2 Americans. Its a lot more dry and factual than other podcasts such as LPOTL but its so well done. 

There is a hell of a lot of research put into some of the episodes (you can tell they arent just reading off Wikipedia) and the way they set the scene before moving onto the next details is done in the same order that it would have been revealed at the time so if you arent aware of the outcome its very well done. Im going to be making my way through the back catalog in the coming weeks and i may even donate to them as i feel they deserve to be compensated for the excellent work.

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have never heard a single podcast. 

You should do. It's a great medium (yes it's basically radio but still). And there's usually half a dozen or more shows on most interests to try out and find what you like.

Try Hardcore History. It's a generally long form history show hosted by a former radio host from the US who has a very engaging style. You'll know a fair chunk of the stuff Dan Carlin talks about (he's done long series on the fall of the Roman Republic, which he claims started as a episode on Cleopatra and he didn't know where best to start, and on WW1, and WW2s Ostfront) but he does sometimes pick up more niche topics, like the the Khans or the history of nuclear weapons. His manner brings out the fascination in the subject and he riddles each episode with quotes from contemporary figures and other historians, with little asides from the main history - a good 20 mins in a WW1 episode is dedicated to discussion of a single naval engagement and his own fascination with the ships involved.

I'm particularly a fan of his one off episode on the Munster Rebellion, called Prophets of Doom. It wasn't a story I knew and it's fascinating, melding history and religion and social upheaval with truly bizarre characters and a little bit of madness. Fantastic few hours to listen to over a few days, and Carlin himself reckons its one of his worst episodes, somehow. Some of his stuff is on YouTube if you want to try it out without much commitment - he recently did a short episode on which was better out of the army of the German Empire in WW1 or the Wehrmacht which is definitely on there.

Only real downside is his older episodes are paywalled. Only a very small amount of money and well worth it for the length and quality of them though.

• Like 1

It's very easy to accumulate loads. I've accidentally got about 20 or so subscribed to, although they aren't on every week it's easily done. Just listened to one doing a "things you didn't know" about the Watergate affair which was really interesting.

Great idea in principle, but I just cba. The missus has Radio 4 on pretty much all the time, so I get sick of talk radio. If I have any spare time I'll be reading, listening  to music or watching something on TV/streaming. No time for much else. 

Â