Podcasts

The_Rev

I don't think many people on here like Athletico Mince, but I went to see them live at the Old Rep on Tuesday with @Rob182and @lapal_fan.

It was funny, but it did feel like we were 'seeing behind the curtain' a bit because Bob Mortimer read all of his stories off his laptop or phone.

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Bob Mortimer

Have you heard the calls he's been putting in to Iain Lee on Talk Radio, as a guy called Keith from Sport Video? One of the funniest things I've heard in ages. Also available in Podcast form.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Have you heard the calls he's been putting in to Iain Lee on Talk Radio, as a guy called Keith from Sport Video? One of the funniest things I've heard in ages. Also available in Podcast form.

I listened to the first one, I need to listen to the others. I want to find the point that Iain starts to suspect. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

For the first couple of calls I genuinely thought it was real the guy was just a bit simple.

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I listened to the first one, I need to listen to the others. I want to find the point that Iain starts to suspect. :D

I think he released them all as special bonus podcasts of just the calls alone (i.e. you didn't have to listen to the whole evenings show). When you actually get to see the video, the payoff is glorious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Waking Up with Sam Harris is often very good.

Usually enlightening in some way. He does have a few duff episodes (one recent one was basically an advert for Apple disguised as an informative look at security) and he also has the odd bizarre view - he did an AMA podcast last year that dealt with his views on self defence that verged on gun nut. But generally a good listen. 

I haven't been in this thread before (thanks for the tag @Paddywhack), but I'm really enjoying the Stuff You Should Know podcast lately. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes to learn new things. It's two American guys, but I think they're very likeable. Ones a nerd and ones a redneck, what's not to like?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2017 at 14:05, Dr_Pangloss said:

Waking Up with Sam Harris is often very good.

I'm part way through listening one of Sam Harris' podcast from a couple of weeks ago with Scott Adams, the guy behind Dilbert. Utterly bizarre. I can only assume it switches soon to non-madness, but amongst other things we've just had a defence of Trump and his outright lying because it's an example of him being a good persuader because he's tapping into the narratives people have in their heads whether they are right or wrong. Adams seems to mistake idiocy for genius. And all arguments against are cognitive bias. And using analogy means your argument has failed. Nuts.

On a brighter note, Last Podcast on the Left began a series on the Enfield Haunting this week. Which is destined to be fantastic. Hopefully they veer closer to the actual story than they did with the Pontefract case, where they got tangled up in the movie story rather than the actual report (no less funny though). But I've been looking forward to them doing this story for ages.

Genuinely gutted James Richardson and producer Ben are leaving Football Weekly. Making a new podcast with Iain Macintosh so hopefully it will just mean an extra football podcast each week but can't help but feel it won't be quite the same.

21 hours ago, djdabush said:

Genuinely gutted James Richardson and producer Ben are leaving Football Weekly. Making a new podcast with Iain Macintosh so hopefully it will just mean an extra football podcast each week but can't help but feel it won't be quite the same.

Sounds like they might be going to do a European football show type podcast. I'll certainly give it a go as Jimbo just knows how to do easy going presenting properly.

A quick mention for Free To A Good Home, just back after a six-month hiatus and funny as ever. Two Aussie comedians and a guest (also a comedian) pick apart listings from Gumtree and Craigslist. I love it, although it's caused me some embarrassment from laughing out loud in the street and while shopping.

5 minutes ago, Villanun said:

A quick mention for Free To A Good Home, just back after a six-month hiatus and funny as ever. Two Aussie comedians and a guest (also a comedian) pick apart listings from Gumtree and Craigslist. I love it, although it's caused me some embarrassment from laughing out loud in the street and while shopping.

I could do with a laugh. What's a good taster episode, or should I begin at the beginning?

9 minutes ago, Villanun said:

Sounds like something right up my street. Is it similar to Adam Buxton doing YouTube comments commentary?

1 hour ago, coda said:

I could do with a laugh. What's a good taster episode, or should I begin at the beginning?

It's pretty easy to jump in anywhere, my first episode was thirty-something, although I remember laughing particularly hard at episode 59, Candy Apocalypse. It's very not safe for work, mind.

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Sounds like something right up my street. Is it similar to Adam Buxton doing YouTube comments commentary?

The only time I've seen him do that is on Cats Does Countdown, so... kinda? One of them will read out an advert, then they all try to unpack the situation that might lead to someone wanting to sell that particular thing, or request that particular service, or so on. It's funnier than I'm making it sound.

• Thanks 1

The first Enfield episode of LPOTL didn't disappoint. My only concern is how much they will go into it being fake, they seem to be largely avoiding that angle or hand waving it. Because it was faked. It's still a creepy story even knowing that (the recordings still raise the hair on the back of your neck even knowing it's a trick), but I hope they address that it was some teenage girls concocting a scary story that blew out of proportion.

Saying that, the first episode was really good with the background and the beginnings of what happened and Grosse and Playfair's involvement.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The first Enfield episode of LPOTL didn't disappoint. My only concern is how much they will go into it being fake, they seem to be largely avoiding that angle or hand waving it. Because it was faked. It's still a creepy story even knowing that (the recordings still raise the hair on the back of your neck even knowing it's a trick), but I hope they address that it was some teenage girls concocting a scary story that blew out of proportion.

Saying that, the first episode was really good with the background and the beginnings of what happened and Grosse and Playfair's involvement.

Read the original book on this as a young teenager, then had the pleasure of sitting down and having an hour long one to one chat with Maurice Grosse in the mid nineties. Lovely guy, really great tales, me the sceptic though it was easy to be dismissive.

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Read the original book on this as a young teenager, then had the pleasure of sitting down and having an hour long one to one chat with Maurice Grosse in the mid nineties. Lovely guy, really great tales, me the sceptic though it was easy to be dismissive.

By all accounts he was a very nice bloke, but was looking to find what he wanted to find. They raised a bit of this on the podcast, and which also came up in the series about it last year with Timothy Spall, he had tragically lost his daughter in a car accident and that lead him to wanting to find evidence of a life after death to come to terms with it. So when Enfield happened he became obsessed with it. And there's an argument the family wanted him there as he became a kind of surrogate dad for the kids.

Very interesting story I've always found fascinating. I should say LPOTL is a very dark comedy podcast so I wouldn't go to them for a straight telling of the tale, they take the piss out of it in telling the story.

Edited by Chindie

57 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Henry is on form in this episode, I laughed out loud a few times. Would be a great starter episode for anyone thinking of giving it a try. My next recommendation would be the Leonard Lake and Charles Ng episodes.

Â