Podcasts

The_Rev

• 1 month later...

Had an email read out on the Football Ramble today.

Straight on my list of achievements, just above "once holding a door open for a Chuckle Brother" and below "once doing an opening DJ set for The Cheeky Girls"

🏆

• Like 2

I have a bunch I listen to on the regular, a combination of comedy, geek and a bit of news. In no particular order

Mission to Zyxx - An improvised comedy space epic.

Hello from the Magic Tavern - An improvised comedy set in a magical world sort of like middle earth combined with Narnia.

These both sound lame writing the description but they are both really funny.

The infinite monkey cage - BBC science pod hosted by Prof Brian Cox with guests geeking out over cool science stuff. I love it.

The Sin cast hosted by cinema sins. The guy behind the YouTube sensation cinema sins chat about all things movie.

No such thing as a fish - the qi elves make funny about their fav fact of the week. 

Bag Man by Rachel Maddow is great for American History fans, telling the story behind the Nixon impeachment. Fascinating stuff.

Apologies if there is some repetition that others have already recommended, but I only want to add to the enthusiasm.

I'm sure I have others but I forget them right now.

On 07/12/2019 at 06:42, ml1dch said:

Had an email read out on the Football Ramble today.

Straight on my list of achievements, just above "once holding a door open for a Chuckle Brother" and below "once doing an opening DJ set for The Cheeky Girls"

🏆

I submitted a Going for Glold. Unfortunately Marcus got Juan Pablo Angel on the last clue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2019 at 22:26, Hornso said:

I submitted a Going for Glold. Unfortunately Marcus got Juan Pablo Angel on the last clue.

Going for Glold has pissed me off this season. They're all SO hard, and the clues are just totally random.

Your Angel one was one of the better ones. I got it with a couple to go IIRC

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Going for Glold has pissed me off this season. They're all SO hard, and the clues are just totally random.

Your Angel one was one of the better ones. I got it with a couple to go IIRC

I had Joseph Yobo this week with a few to spare. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The death of the podcast continues. 

I'm not a fan, but obviously huge podcast the Joe Rogan Experience has joined Last Podcast Network jumping on the Spotify bandwagon. Allegedly the deal is worth $100,000,000. So you can see why he's made the jump, but still... The walled garden model for podcasts sucks. Especially as Spotify is shit for podcasts and I've no interest in having another app on my phone when I've got my podcast app sorted already.

As a heavy Spotify user, I don't mind this news. 

I've been using Stitcher to listen to 'Serial' - I've just finished 'Serial', does anyone have any other recommendations which are similar (or better) than 'Serial'? I've only just started getting into podcasts and my podcast game sucks. 

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

As a heavy Spotify user, I don't mind this news. 

I've been using Stitcher to listen to 'Serial' - I've just finished 'Serial', does anyone have any other recommendations which are similar (or better) than 'Serial'? I've only just started getting into podcasts and my podcast game sucks. 

"Up & Vanished" is of a similar vain. If you subscribe to that you'll find a bunch of other podcasts that company/group have subsequently done.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

The death of the podcast continues. 

I'm not a fan, but obviously huge podcast the Joe Rogan Experience has joined Last Podcast Network jumping on the Spotify bandwagon. Allegedly the deal is worth $100,000,000. So you can see why he's made the jump, but still... The walled garden model for podcasts sucks. Especially as Spotify is shit for podcasts and I've no interest in having another app on my phone when I've got my podcast app sorted already.

Sad but inevitable really. It will become more fragmented like the film/TV streaming market. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Jefferies has a new podcast called 'I don't know about that'

Basically just picks up where the last podcasts left off with Jim rambling on about a subject while everyone gets drunk. Funny stuff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/05/2020 at 15:48, villakram said:

"Up & Vanished" is of a similar vain. If you subscribe to that you'll find a bunch of other podcasts that company/group have subsequently done.

Nice one for this. Listened to

- Serial

- S Town

- Up and Vanished

- In the Dark (probably my favourite, season 2 was excellent)

After something else now... 

• 5 weeks later...

I know there's a few Football Ramble fans on here. What does everyone think of their new format?

Personally I hate it. The football stuff wasn't really what you listen to the Football Ramble for. it was the comedy and "banter" between the presenters. Their now rotating cast of 8 doesn't suit me at all.
That and there's just too many episodes. Especially without a commute these days I just can't keep up with a podcast a day from them. It was better when it was different shows because then I could just listen to the two actual Football Rambles a week. But they've done away with that now.

The news that they've started another channel to do even more podcasts was the final nail for me.

Sad. I've listened to them for probably 8 years or more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know there's a few Football Ramble fans on here. What does everyone think of their new format?

Personally I hate it. The football stuff wasn't really what you listen to the Football Ramble for. it was the comedy and "banter" between the presenters. Their now rotating cast of 8 doesn't suit me at all.
That and there's just too many episodes. Especially without a commute these days I just can't keep up with a podcast a day from them. It was better when it was different shows because then I could just listen to the two actual Football Rambles a week. But they've done away with that now.

The news that they've started another channel to do even more podcasts was the final nail for me.

Sad. I've listened to them for probably 8 years or more. 

As I’ve had a bit of break from footy I haven’t been listening, but I did give one or two recent episodes a go to see how they’re getting on and yeah I have to agree. When I heard they were moving to daily show I feared I wouldn’t like it. From what you’ve said it sounds like it’s not often the four of Marcus, Jim, Luke & Pete are recording together.

For most podcasts, I want to hear the same voices. If the existing format has one or two guests come in, that’s fine. But there has to be a consistent core or it feels like a different show. The dynamic changes too much when the personnel are different.

Less is more sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As I’ve had a bit of break from footy I haven’t been listening, but I did give one or two recent episodes a go to see how they’re getting on and yeah I have to agree. When I heard they were moving to daily show I feared I wouldn’t like it. From what you’ve said it sounds like it’s not often the four of Marcus, Jim, Luke & Pete are recording together.

For most podcasts, I want to hear the same voices. If the existing format has one or two guests come in, that’s fine. But there has to be a consistent core or it feels like a different show. The dynamic changes too much when the personnel are different.

Less is more sometimes.

Yeah that was my point. The reason the ramble was funny was because of the chemistry between the four presenters. Now it’s barely ever the four of them (if ever) together. 

they were the ramble. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that was my point. The reason the ramble was funny was because of the chemistry between the four presenters. Now it’s barely ever the four of them (if ever) together. 

they were the ramble. 

I'd definitely recommend listening to todays - but feel free to just skip to around 25 minutes. 

Â