Podcasts

The_Rev

How are people feeling about the Football Ramble these days? I've just about got used to the line up except for Kate Mason - I find her irritating and so much goes over her head. They joke about that but it's usually just painful. Don't mind it being daily as I'll listen when walking the dog, but it's still not the same without the original four and I'd prefer a reduction in frequency if it meant getting the gang back together.

Brassell is the best of the 'new' bunch but he's better on OTC. That was also better with Luke. I don't really like Dotun Adebayo.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've just found out about the Always Sunny Podcast, where Rob, Glen and Charlie watch an episode and then just talk about it for half an hour. I'm only a couple of episodes in (out of 7) so far, but I'm enjoying it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've just found out about the Always Sunny Podcast, where Rob, Glen and Charlie watch an episode and then just talk about it for half an hour. I'm only a couple of episodes in (out of 7) so far, but I'm enjoying it.

I found it two days ago. Coincidently I started the whole show again only last month from season 1 so it's interesting hearing them talk about those initial episodes. 

On 30/07/2021 at 21:56, Troglodyte said:

How are people feeling about the Football Ramble these days? I've just about got used to the line up except for Kate Mason - I find her irritating and so much goes over her head. They joke about that but it's usually just painful. Don't mind it being daily as I'll listen when walking the dog, but it's still not the same without the original four and I'd prefer a reduction in frequency if it meant getting the gang back together.

Brassell is the best of the 'new' bunch but he's better on OTC. That was also better with Luke. I don't really like Dotun Adebayo.

Yeah, I agree. The original 4 are the best. Kate grinds my gears also, as does Jules when she shoehorns 2-4 minutes of Brighton into every episode she appears on. Vish has been solid addition.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Yeah, I agree. The original 4 are the best. Kate grinds my gears also, as does Jules when she shoehorns 2-4 minutes of Brighton into every episode she appears on. Vish has been solid addition.

See I'm not all that keen on Vish (not to the extent of Kate though, who ruins shows) but I do quite like Jules. And I don't mind the Brighton chat that comes with it - at least it makes a bit of a change.

I do like Lars though, who's now started appearing on the Ramble as well as OTC.

Talking of OTC, Dotun's grown on me a little. And I like that they're now adding their meal choices to the haha of the week again!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troglodyte said:

See I'm not all that keen on Vish (not to the extent of Kate though, who ruins shows) but I do quite like Jules. And I don't mind the Brighton chat that comes with it - at least it makes a bit of a change.

I do like Lars though, who's now started appearing on the Ramble as well as OTC.

Talking of OTC, Dotun's grown on me a little. And I like that they're now adding their meal choices to the haha of the week again!

I wouldn't mind the Brighton chat so much if they gave that much attention to other teams as well. It just makes me jealous haha. You're right though, it does change it up from the obligatory 15 minutes on United at the top of every episode.

I stopped listening to OTC a while back, combination of having to cut down on podcasts and not being a big fan of the latest version since Dotun joined. Lars is excellent though. Always enjoy hearing what he has to add! 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Chindie said:

With the revelation that @mjmooney has now listened to a podcast, has he listened to Hardcore History yet? :detect:

No. I'm aware of it, and it looks very good, but the episodes are way too long. 30 minutes to an hour I'm fine with, but 3 or 4 hours and more, no.

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn’t manage a 3 or 4 hour “serious” podcast, even in multiple sittings. I’ve listened to a 2 to 3 hour long light hearted podcast while I’m painting a room or something like that. Even then the podcast has to be episodic, moving from one subject to the next in 20-30 minute chunks.  

I’m sure it’s good but I’m better suited to listening to something like “You’re Dead To Me” which is more like QI in tone. A regular host, a guest historian and a guest comedian discuss a historical subject matter. 

The Borgias, Mary Seacole, the pyramids, whatever. Typically 30-60 minutes long, a broad overview with a few “well actually this is what really happened” facts from the historian with the comedian kinda acting as the pupil prepared listen but also take the piss at the same time.

It won’t be anywhere near the same depth, but it covers enough for me, if the episode’s subject piques my interest and I want to know more, I then read a bit more about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m sure it’s good but I’m better suited to listening to something like “You’re Dead To Me” which is more like QI in tone. A regular host, a guest historian and a guest comedian discuss a historical subject matter. 

The other good Radio 4/BBC Sounds one is "In Our Time". Melvyn Bragg and three experts discuss a given topic, which could be practically anything - history, philosophy, science, literature, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new podcast by the people behind Serial and S-Town out. And it's close to home for a lot of us. It's about the infamous Trojan Horse scandal, where it was alleged that a number of schools in Birmingham were being infiltrated by Islamic extremists, which eventually got happily eaten up by the government and media to the point it was just style evidently true... Even if it obviously wasn't.

I've listened to the entire thing today, and it's quite good. It has the same problems that all of these shows have had, but it's got enough of the whodunnit element that is compelling. Also it's very strange to hear a big US production going on about Alum Rock, referencing Needless Alley, Temple Street, hearing Brummie accents so prominently.

Worth a listen.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p054dybk

Manhunt: Finding Kevin Parle

Radio 5 live

A live investigation: Two murders, one fugitive and a hunter tracking down the target.

Listening to this at the moment - really interesting. Am 8 episodes in, and love the way it introduces all the people and locations - goes off on some really interesting tangents, but ties it all together well.

No idea if it's worth listening to the end, but will do anyway!

This BBC 4 series was fascinating, I listened to it last year. It investigates the circumstances around James Le Mesurier’s death and the role of the White Helmets in Syria. Focusing on the disinformation campaigns to ruin their work. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/intrigue/id1205462850

When James Le Mesurier fell to his death in Turkey in 2019 he left behind a tangle of truths and lies. Mayday tells the extraordinary real story of the man who organised the White Helmets – rescuers who film themselves pulling survivors from bombed out buildings in rebel-held areas of Syria – and investigates claims that, far from being heroes, they are part of a very elaborate hoax. James Le Mesurier – his detractors say – was a British secret agent, pulling the strings. So when his body was found by worshippers on their way to morning prayers, there were a lot questions.

They did another series called Tunnel 29 which is about a tunnel under the Berlin Wall, it’s also excellent. 

• Like 1

On 03/12/2021 at 21:28, Davkaus said:

Found this myself recently and binged the whole thing. It's **** brilliant

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2022 at 18:54, Chindie said:

There's a new podcast by the people behind Serial and S-Town out. And it's close to home for a lot of us. It's about the infamous Trojan Horse scandal, where it was alleged that a number of schools in Birmingham were being infiltrated by Islamic extremists, which eventually got happily eaten up by the government and media to the point it was just style evidently true... Even if it obviously wasn't.

I've listened to the entire thing today, and it's quite good. It has the same problems that all of these shows have had, but it's got enough of the whodunnit element that is compelling. Also it's very strange to hear a big US production going on about Alum Rock, referencing Needless Alley, Temple Street, hearing Brummie accents so prominently.

Worth a listen.

I’m a couple of episodes into this and totally hooked. Especially as I didn’t follow the story particularly closely when it was happening

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the slow death of beloved gaming podcast/site Giant Bomb is getting accelerated. 3 of the major figures on the site went their own way last year, and now the remaining original staff member, and the sites founder, Jeff Gerstmann, has quit.

The thing has been dying for a while, and the guys going last year was obviously fatal with the site's reaction to them going being dire, but the thing basically is Gerstmann's baby, and with him gone it's just a name, hollow and meaningless.

RIP Giant Bomb. For the better part of a decade, the best best gaming content on the Internet.

Â