Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Back in the day I never even used to know who Villa’s CEO’s were. Nor did I care.  It’s a non footballing role and should stay that way in my opinion. He got way too involved with the Gerrard fiasco. He now seems to be just quietly sticking to CEO work. Whatever that may be.

Because "back in the day" Doug ran everything personally. He was Chairman and CEO and he most definitely involved himself in all football decisions.  You've heard of him right? 

You probably also knew the company secretary pretty well, Steve Stride. 

We see and hear from the CEO now because since Randy we have remote owners who employ a CEO and they are front and centre at the club. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Because "back in the day" Doug ran everything personally. He was Chairman and CEO and he most definitely involved himself in all football decisions.  You've heard of him right? 

You probably also knew the company secretary pretty well, Steve Stride. 

We see and hear from the CEO now because since Randy we have remote owners who employ a CEO and they are front and centre at the club. 

Nope never heard of him.  I thought it was just the name of a stand.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I’m not sure what Purslow has done wrong other than the Gerrard appointment - agree that’s a big mark against him, but what owners have never made a dud appointment.

The man is probably busier with business related to the expansion.

Well if we're judging him from the business side of the operation we've reported a total of 260 million pounds in losses since he's been at the wheel.

Our owners are supposed to savvy businessman right? I may not be an accountant, but I just find it hard to see our owners seeing us as a profitable venture if we continue to post significant losses.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well if we're judging him from the business side of the operation we've reported a total of 260 million pounds in losses since he's been at the wheel.

Our owners are supposed to savvy businessman right? I may not be an accountant, but I just find it hard to see our owners seeing us as a profitable venture if we continue to post significant losses.

The value of their asset has increased from like the £70 million they bought us for to I reckon 600+ million. So they're fine

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On top of the stuff we see (or want to see) him doing, he's also at the moment involved in the big fight for football going on behind the scenes and has been at the forefront of opposing the big six in terms of rule changes, he's also been involved in (but not lead) the new sponsorship deal and the two major planning and construction projects, plus, he's been to Downing Street two or three times this year already as the Premier League continues to debate with government about the need for political oversight of the game. I guess in terms of comparing him with history that's the major difference, an awful lot of his focus is on external threats, which I'm not sure has always been the case.

I don't know how many fights he's winning, but from what I understand, he's busy.

From the outside looking in I would imagine he’s bloody good at this type of stuff too. 

Sacking Smith and appointing Gerrard was enough for me, should have gone once that never worked out, massive gamble and if it wasn't for our owners bailing us out it could have been alot worse. 

You don't employ someone to run a club and then have to step in and sort the mess out when they fail and don't have the ability, talent or nastiness to right their wrongs. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Would you rather the team be completely self sufficient, like, for example, Norwich?

Or, take financial risks and try to spend our way to a stage where we can create increased financial income?

When he came to the club with the new owners we had been in the championship for a few years. We were told that the aim was to build 3 teams. 

One to get up - ✔️

One to stay up - ✔️

One to push on - We’re getting there. 

On top of that we have what looks to be a wonderful new stand on the horizon, a great new inner city academy, and a youth set up many clubs envy. 

If this is failure, or “holding us back” I’d love to know what some of you would view as success. 

Edited by av1

39 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The value of their asset has increased from like the £70 million they bought us for to I reckon 600+ million. So they're fine

But how much does that increase in valuation come from the owners directly inserting more of their own money into the club? If they bought the club for 70 million and then dumped a further 530 million of their own money into the club, then even selling for 600 million wouldn't mean they'd turn a profit.\

Edited by Laughable Chimp

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

Sacking Smith and appointing Gerrard was enough for me, should have gone once that never worked out, massive gamble and if it wasn't for our owners bailing us out it could have been alot worse. 

You don't employ someone to run a club and then have to step in and sort the mess out when they fail and don't have the ability, talent or nastiness to right their wrongs. 

You don't sack a CEO because they got one appointment wrong. Also I'm sure the appointment was a group decision, I doubt purslow can just appoint whoever he wants. 

• Like 3

I've called for him to leave in anger before indeed, should he leave now? Certainly not. I think he has been reined in, and is certainly well qualified for the job and has done good things. Instability is not needed at this current moment and whilst we look to a good future and progress next year of which I have never been more certain of achieving all is ticking along...

It's just most the good things people credit him for...are because the owners have pumped in a phenomenal amount of money and most of his mistakes are overlooked because....the owners have pumped in a phenomenal amount of money.

He's had a pretty easy ride. He's basically playing with cheat codes.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But how much was Villa worth when our owners bought the club?  And how much would they be able to sell it for now if they wanted to do so (which they don't because they know how much more it will be worth once the re-development work is completed and if they can get the club back into Europe).  They are set to make a very, very tidy profit.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If he's not meeting the budget's he's been set he will be sacked.

Therefore you have to assume the losses are planned whilst we're on the path to revolutionising the club.

This is what I find so funny.  We're owned by serious people. They Will have heavyweight top end business manager's working for them.

Yet people totally unconnected to the club are desperately (for reasons I can't comprehend) trying to portray Purslow as some kind of bumbling buffoon who should be got rid of for incompetency, yet this view is very clearly not held by our multi Billionaire successful businessmen or their multitude of advisor's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

So how would you feel if you got sacked for making one mistake in your job? I would imagine you wouldnt be happy?

22 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But how much does that increase in valuation come from the owners directly inserting more of their own money into the club? If they bought the club for 70 million and then dumped a further 530 million of their own money into the club, then even selling for 600 million wouldn't mean they'd turn a profit.\

Didn't you just say that they had spent £260 million?  So £70 million + £260 million still means that they've pretty much doubled their money if they were to sell for £600 million (which I think is a conservative estimate).  By the time the redevelopment is complete that value is likely to soar - especially if it is coupled with better success on the pitch.  I think they are looking at trebling their investment as a minimum.

• Like 2

Â