Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

5 hours ago, John said:

I also don't usually have much time for a player after he has left, there are exceptions though and Tammy is certainly one of them in my opinion.

Like Snodgrass and Mings, he showed a real affinity for our club and it's fans. He also like Tyrone, played a crucial role in getting us promoted. For me that outweighs the fact that he was on loan, rather than "our" player.

In my opinion, it also says a lot about Tammy that as a loan signing he was so determined to do everything he possibly could to get us up and was so joyful about doing it. I have seen several permanent signings over the years that have not come near to matching Tammy's relationship with the fans, or his contribution to our success and affection for the club. 

It's also a disgrace that he has been subject to racial abuse following his penalty miss. Should so called Chelsea "fans" have been involved in abusing their own player, I'm sure Tammy will regret returning to that club.

I don't disagree with your assessment of his time here and the entirety of that balanced, non-triggered post. We only differ in how I now view him. My view, which I'm entitled to hold, is that as an ex-loan player who has returned to his parent club he now generates nothing beyond indifference within me.

I hold a similar opinion in regards to Benteke. Once he went what happened to him and his career meant nothing to me. As I've said before elsewhere on here recently, I'm not what I'd term a football fan. I'm a Villa fan and generally only care about a player whilst they play for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, privateer said:

I hold a similar opinion in regards to Benteke. Once he went what happened to him and his career meant nothing to me. As I've said before elsewhere on here recently, I'm not what I'd term a football fan. I'm a Villa fan and generally only care about a player whilst they play for us.

benteke is a more interesting one, when he was linked with Dortmund I could buy in to that, got a soft spot for them so id have been quite happy for him knowing that we were shit and he had to leave really for the sake of his career, as soon as he went to Liverpool that was me done, couldn't get behind him, not interested in watching, not interested in defending him or trying to tell the world how good he is or making positive comparisons to lukaku, I was out

I do think as I've got older my liking of individual footballers has dwindled (and clubs in general, used to watch Dortmund and barca a lot, inter a bit) im interested in watching some good FM players like ndombele and kean but thats about it, the ironic thing being that it was villa's decline that largely killed my enjoyment of football but its left me with just the villa

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe not but let's say he makes that mistake in every game he plays in - where does that leave him?

Let's say he scores 10 goals a game, where does that leave him? That's beyond PL quality right there.

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah okay, you are/were supremely confident then that the entirety of the rest of last seasons squad could/would make the step up with little to no problem then?

No not at all

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

benteke is a more interesting one, when he was linked with Dortmund I could buy in to that, got a soft spot for them so id have been quite happy for him knowing that we were shit and he had to leave really for the sake of his career, as soon as he went to Liverpool that was me done, couldn't get behind him, not interested in watching, not interested in defending him or trying to tell the world how good he is or making positive comparisons to lukaku, I was out

I do think as I've got older my liking of individual footballers has dwindled (and clubs in general, used to watch Dortmund and barca a lot, inter a bit) im interested in watching some good FM players like ndombele and kean but thats about it, the ironic thing being that it was villa's decline that largely killed my enjoyment of football but its left me with just the villa

TBH, as far as Benteke was concerned as soon as he put in a transfer request after his first season  he destroyed any chance he'd have had of my holding him in any regard.

Juxtapose :lol: Benteke and Carew. Which one was there going wild celebrating our Wembley triumph and which one probably didn't even watch it?

Carew liked the club and enjoyed the ride. Benteke used the club as a vehicle for Benteke to drive to new destinations.

When Tammy is celebrating our Champions League win I'll group him with Big John.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So how then do you disagree with me saying that you could have said that about any of the players last season?

There is a middle ground between saying "that" about "any of our squad" and being "supremely confident then that the entirety of the rest of last seasons squad could/would make the step up with little to no problem".

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, privateer said:

Juxtapose :lol: Benteke and Carew. Which one was there going wild celebrating our Wembley triumph and which one probably didn't even watch it?

Carew liked the club and enjoyed the ride. Benteke used the club as a vehicle for Benteke to drive to new destinations.

When Tammy is celebrating our Champions League win I'll group him with Big John.

Carew is another interesting one :lol:

I wasn't bothered when he left, he was definitely declining and I thought he was phoning it in too often, think he got away with a lot because of what he had done previously and fans loved him and the chant 

But then seeing him after he retired and how much he loves the club brings him back in to me following him a bit, also follow Juan Pablo to see what he's up to

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Carew is another interesting one :lol:

I wasn't bothered when he left, he was definitely declining and I thought he was phoning it in too often, think he got away with a lot because of what he had done previously and fans loved him and the chant 

But then seeing him after he retired and how much he loves the club brings him back in to me following him a bit, also follow Juan Pablo to see what he's up to

Think him and Houllier had beef from Lyon. plus his legs were gone. He prob scored about 5 goals after leaving Villa

43 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

There is a middle ground between saying "that" about "any of our squad" and being "supremely confident then that the entirety of the rest of last seasons squad could/would make the step up with little to no problem".

Not really, there's either a question mark or there isn't.

I would have placed a question mark on any of last seasons squad as irrespective of how good they seem (Grealish, McGinn, Mings included) you don't know how they'll cope with the step up in quality.

It's the exact same situation for Tammy.

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So how then do you disagree with me saying that you could have said that about any of the players last season?

I said I had doubts about whether Tammy could step up to the Premier League despite how well he did for us last season.

I don't have those doubts about some of our other players. So I couldn't say that about any of the players last season.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I said I had doubts about whether Tammy could step up to the Premier League despite how well he did for us last season.

I don't have those doubts about some of our other players. So I couldn't say that about any of the players last season.

Well I think that's pretty selective but who am I to tell you what your opinion should or shouldn't be.

I don't think Tammy did anything more or anything less than anyone else in the squad to warrant being singled out as possibly unable to make the step up, but then that's my opinion I guess.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Well I think that's pretty selective but who am I to tell you what your opinion should or shouldn't be.

I don't think Tammy did anything more or anything less than anyone else in the squad to warrant being singled out as possibly unable to make the step up, but then that's my opinion I guess.

I mean, that was entirely the point I was making. 

Despite how well he did, I didn't/don't have the confidence he could step up to the premier league that I did with our other high performers like McGinn, Mings and Grealish who I am 100% sure would/will make the step up.

I even said I couldn't put my finger on why, was more of a hunch than anything.

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean, that was entirely the point I was making. 

Despite how well he did, I didn't/don't have the confidence he could step up to the premier league that I did with our other high performers like McGinn, Mings and Grealish who I am 100% sure would/will make the step up.

I even said I couldn't put my finger on why, was more of a hunch than anything.

I had that feeling too, but I still wanted to sign him for continuity reasons. Still no telling how Big Wes is going to turn out or settle into life at Villa/England.

• Like 1

Â