John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Playing in multiple positions means he is rarely playing in his own, best, position. 

If Pau Torres had to play left back, right back, defensive midfielder to cover other injuries would you be critical of his form too?

Yes I would just like any other player. We're talking about Premier League players here not amateur players if there performances are not up to scratch and they go missing it's warranted. To many making excuses like I said last 2 games he has been anonymous as a captain.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not confused. You’re an idiot. Where is the confusion?

Again, you're avoiding the point making bs excuses. His last 2 games he has gone missing and not stood up when counted when we've being under the pump simple as that. Dont give me this bs his playing multiple positions or his tired. We're talking Premier League players here and he has just come back from a 3 match ban.

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

Again, you're avoiding the point making bs excuses. His last 2 games he has gone missing and not stood up when counted when we've being under the pump simple as that. Dont give me this bs his playing multiple positions or his tired. We're talking Premier League players here and he has just come back from a 3 match ban.

Why do you think he’s ‘gone missing’ in the last two matches then?

What is your reasoning for it if not that he’s physically and mentally shattered at the end of a longer season than usual?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Why do you think he’s ‘gone missing’ in the last two matches then?

What is your reasoning for it if not that he’s physically and mentally shattered at the end of a longer season than usual?

He just come back from 3 match ban that was a decent break don't you think to refresh and reset. His gone missing because his not standing up and showing that leadership like a captain should do and rally the troops. Look at Martinez our vice captain his actions do the speaking and stands up when needed you remember the arsenal first half. To many making excuses for players here. I agree injuries has taken a toll to a extent. Yesterday there was no aggression,  intensity and lack of want basics of football.

Edited by ozvilla28

He has gone MIA because of a number of factors the main one being that he is being asked to perform as a 6 because of the complete and utter lack of faith in Timbo during Tielemans absence. 

We should see an upswing in both McGinn and Luiz’ performances if Tielemans comes back raring to go. 

We then need to get competition for McGinn in the summer if PSR allows. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

So you’re suggesting he’s just made a decision to not bother at this stage of the season?

He could have just decided to be more aggressive and play at a higher tempo and take control of these matches but for some reason, that we have not yet established, he just didn’t feel like it?

Don’t forget also that he was still playing international matches for Scotland and Conference League matches for us during his 3 match ‘rest’ period for the red card. 

If you look at the number of minutes he’s played all up this season him and Luiz have had to run themselves into the ground to get us in contention for a top 4 position and to a European semi final.

If we fall short in either competition we should still be proud of the effort this team has put in, far exceeding most of our expectations from when the season started.

Hopefully the squad can get themselves up for one last big effort before the season ends. 

I'm not suggesting he doesn't want to or bother to far from it not sure where your going there. All I'm saying is our leadership needs to stand up and be counted when the chips a down and this doesn't only include him. Yesterday I didn't see any fight, aggression anything to rally the team on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozvilla28 said:

I'm not suggesting he doesn't want to or bother to far from it not sure where your going there. All I'm saying is our leadership needs to stand up and be counted when the chips a down and this doesn't only include him. Yesterday I didn't see any fight, aggression anything to rally the team on.

I think you are massively underestimating the affects of exhaustion and tiredness on players, both mentally and physically.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Yes I would just like any other player. We're talking about Premier League players here not amateur players if there performances are not up to scratch and they go missing it's warranted. To many making excuses like I said last 2 games he has been anonymous as a captain.

You can't just say they're PL players so should be amazing at everything.  That would be ignoring the fact they are also playing against PL players who will be the beat in the world at exploiting players out of position!  Should john be amazing upfront?!  

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Between Aston Villa and Scotland, John McGinn has played 58 games in 267 days since the Premier League season began. That’s a game every 4.5 days for 9 months straight. He also has to train too.

He plays where he is told, often moving positions in midfield. He’s clearly best out on the right or in an advanced role. Injuries to Ramsey and Kamara (Ramsey especially) have meant he rarely gets to play in the positions he’s best in. How many other players in our squad can play different roles like he does? Shall we stick Diaby centre mid and see how he does? Or Luiz out on the right? Or Watkins left mid? Didn’t think so. McGinn can do it all and he does it well. 

He’s been fantastic this season. 

What this man said, a game every 4.5 days is immense even for an elite athlete.  Their muscles suffer fatigue too.

McGinn is clearly tired, but what a season he has had. An absolute hero for us. Reading this thread is a bit grim ngl...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me he's been great, and yes, he's running on close to empty.

I can't criticise any player given the position we're in. Can you imagine the Mental fatigue and stress though, this is possibly the most pressure the players have ever been under in a season, the expectation is so high. Added to this, other players getting injured must be so demoralising too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Between Aston Villa and Scotland, John McGinn has played 58 games in 267 days since the Premier League season began. That’s a game every 4.5 days for 9 months straight. He also has to train too.

He plays where he is told, often moving positions in midfield. He’s clearly best out on the right or in an advanced role. Injuries to Ramsey and Kamara (Ramsey especially) have meant he rarely gets to play in the positions he’s best in. How many other players in our squad can play different roles like he does? Shall we stick Diaby centre mid and see how he does? Or Luiz out on the right? Or Watkins left mid? Didn’t think so. McGinn can do it all and he does it well. 

He’s been fantastic this season. 

I like this Delphino… so much more than the one that shits on players 😆

Couldn’t agree more here (for once!).

John has been immense and just got on with it, grown into that captaincy/leadership role so well… just need him to help us make that final push…

then he and the players can take that well earned break after a wonderful season 👏 

• Like 1

Good posts here...

Another thing is he pretty runs around game. 

Interesting that him and Dougie haven't been injured, albeit Dougie clearly takes great care of himself like Watkins. 

Most our injuries come in defence where a lot of the game is positioning and high intensity sprints which are obviously no good more your muscles especially hamstrings. 

5 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

This is why Roy Keane can't manage a club anymore.

Simplistic, 1970s thinking.

Not interested in this evidence, they just don't want it enough.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2024 at 07:17, beasley14 said:

What this man said, a game every 4.5 days is immense even for an elite athlete.  Their muscles suffer fatigue too.

even the bum muscles?

Â