John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Missed this, but what a great interview, calm and measured and seeing the bigger picture. 

And you can really see what a leader he's become. I thought he was magnificent today, especially at the end of course but really throughout the match, playing what is not his favoured position I think but just so relentlessly tigerish. 

When this guy finishes his Villa career, which hopefully will not be for a long time yet, we will come to look back on him as one of the greats that have played for the club. 

You can't fake that kind of humblness. So lovely to see.

• Like 1

Took him 20 minutes to work out the double pivot with Douglas but killed it the rest of the match. Will have to figure out how to get him a rest for the run in. 

• Like 1

I took my wife and 8 year old daughter to the match today, and we sat in Fulham end near the dugouts. They have only been to a couple of games each and don’t really follow the Villa properly (yet), but they really enjoyed today, even though we couldn’t celebrate.

Half way through the second half, they were chatting to eachother and they turned and asked me “who is the guy with the big bum again?”

I said - “that’s my captain”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

According to Transfermarkt he's now surpassed 200 league games for us (he's on 202). That is including three play-off games though, no idea if they count as league games or not.

Gerrard making him captain is turning out to be a masterstroke. Not that he knew what was doing not was McGinn even much of a leader under him, but he's immense for us now. A real leader of men.

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Gerrard making him captain is turning out to be a masterstroke. Not that he knew what was doing not was McGinn even much of a leader under him, but he's immense for us now. A real leader of men.

I think with Gerard, it was more about the captaincy of Mings than anything else. He could’ve given it to anybody to make his point whatever that was.

Obviously Unai has helped him so much but John deserves huge credit for upping his game and massively stepping up as captain and leader of this team… he has been brilliant and certainly looks and acts the part now… we’re lucky to have him, so much fight and spirit but plenty of talent to go along with that… to top it all off, he’s a thoroughly good, likeable and funny bloke to go along with all that… humble and industrious… well done John 👏 and I’ll always regret and be apologetic for ever doubting you… you’ve been a class act and continue to be… the heartbeat of our team…

The perfect captain now… we will never say die as long as he’s at the club…

• Like 3

Is there a player in the league better at understanding the line of the ball and how to use his body to make it his? 

There's very very few players who let it run across his body like he does, in complete control without actually touching the ball 

• Like 1

Â