John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When he’s in form he’s phenomenal. Really drives the team on. His work ethic is superb too. He’ll be giving out stadium tours in years to come, the fans love him and he loves Villa. 

He is our "go to" leader, he sets the tempo, he gets in that challenge that sets the tone for the team....He is the Alpha Male that drives us....They look to him, no more so than that initial challenge on Dan Burn, last season.

He has others with better technique, and he knows that....but some of his passes are also sublime, along with his power.....despite my description, he not at his best further back, his work is best served further forward, where his runs are conducted with Momentum, and he is like a runaway train at times.....John is an intelligent player, he is our William Wallace...He is hard to stop for Opponents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just think every team needs a John McGinn. Been at the club a while, has grown into a better player as we have grown into being a better club. A down to earth, hard working lad who always gives 100%. 

I imagine he’s a managers dream as well, given he can play a number of positions. 

Just a fantastic player to have at the club. 

Who spiked your cornflakes?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just think every team needs a John McGinn. Been at the club a while, has grown into a better player as we have grown into being a better club. A down to earth, hard working lad who always gives 100%. Worth noting that he’s had a number of higher profile and ‘better’ players signed to play both in his position, and around him, and yet he’s still probably one of the first names on the team sheet. 

I imagine he’s a managers dream as well, given he can play a number of positions. 

Just a fantastic player to have at the club. 

Every successful team needs that kind of player with that mentality....and in the main, they have one.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Every successful team needs that kind of player with that mentality....and in the main, they have one.

Throwback to the old days when every successful team had a Scottish player of the same ilk 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Throwback to the old days when every successful team had a Scottish player of the the same ilk 

The old ethos was a celt would give you that fire & Brimstone in a team, and intimidate the opposition.

The thing for me, is, many fans mainly younger ones think those days are gone.....they don't seem to watch games like Newcastle v Arsenal, to know that these things are still alive today.

There will come a time, when the modern game, for all its technical prowess, has games where it slips back in to this type of encounter, and you have to be ready, if you want to win things.

With the advent of poor referring, this mood could resurface, at times in some of the tighter games, as we witnessed yesterday.....These tight games will be fiercely contested.

I don't like that level of playing the man, and not the ball, but it is what it is....but you have to meet fire with fire, when the authorities, let things go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Throwback to the old days when every successful team had a Scottish player of the the same ilk 

"If you’ve got three Scots in your side, you’ve got a chance of winning something. If you’ve got any more, you’re in trouble". (Bill Shankly) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"If you’ve got three Scots in your side, you’ve got a chance of winning something. If you’ve got any more, you’re in trouble". (Bill Shankly) 

its all about balance...always was, always will be.

even today, Pep knows the value of Rodri to his team, despite all the ball quality the team is reknowned for.....The John McGinns are that robust style of player, who muscles their way through the lines as opposed to the more silky players, who glide through.

There is a case for both....John is the type, who will let you know, he's there.....just like Andy Gray did ( despite playing in different positions) it gives the opposition the message, this isn't going to be easy.

No team, likes a physical encounter, just like they don't like a speed merchant...because it spells "Hard work" for them...opposition players naturally want an easy afternoon.

I am not advocating a team of John McGinns, but what I am suggesting is a squad, where we have enough( 1 or 2) of them to create a healthy balance.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Not sure there is any player out there that has the same ability as him at turning the opposite way than the opponents think he is when he receives the ball. It's almost uncanny. 

I know how he does it - he harnesses his immaculate butt cheeks 

• Like 1

Â