John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 27/10/2023 at 06:04, lexicon said:

His great performances in the Championship were through sheer work rate and a few moments of magic, then in the prem he didn't look up to snuff for a long time

Not sure I buy this. Our first season or so back in the Prem he was really good, people were talking £50m even with his injury struggles back then. But I agree with you completely that he is at a higher level now - I remember someone saying he is dominating games now like he did in the Championship, and it’s against top half PL midfields… thought that was a great description.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Hmm....

This one was just funny, doesn't specifically 

I was just as bad at the time by the way, it's a hell of a ride this football forum stuff. 

That is some determination, Steero! 

I also thought at varying points that we should move on from Luiz, Watkins, Konsa, Bailey, Buendia, Digne and Mings. And not without some justification- at those points in time, their performances were inconsistent, and sometimes really awful. But that was under different managers than Emery, who is making them all better players. I've never been more happy to be proven "wrong".

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

I also thought at varying points that we should move on from Luiz, Watkins, Konsa, Bailey, Buendia, Digne and Mings. And not without some justification- at those points in time, their performances were inconsistent, and sometimes really awful. But that was under different managers than Emery, who is making them all better players. I've never been more happy to be proven "wrong".

Yep, its the way of the football fan!

There are ups and downs in opinion across every fans perception of the game - the key is to stick it through and be humble enough to admit you were wrong (if/when you ever put it down in print :D) and enjoy the good times while they last. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

But surely you saw all these players had ability so were more inclined to give them time?  McGinn being one of them. 

There are are one or two still at the club that even Emery won’t be able to improve hence they hardly ever play.  

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There was a moment in the first half where a ball dropped over his shoulder and he not only brought it down with a perfect touch but he turned his man in the same motion

Genuinely Zidane esque

But with five times the arse cheek volume.

• Like 1

I regret all the bad things I said about him under Gerrard's reign of terror. I mean tbf he'd been declining under Smith for a while too but since Emery came in he's taken about 5 different levels. Just an incredible player.

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When he’s in form he’s phenomenal. Really drives the team on. His work ethic is superb too. He’ll be giving out stadium tours in years to come, the fans love him and he loves Villa. 

He will end up one of our most loved legends in our history books. Up with Cowans and Mortimer.

When he rocked up aged 23 from Hibs no one would have really imagined he would end up as captain and Mr Aston Villa. But thats what he will be if he stays fit. 

His name will be in gold and guilded somewhere within our club i am convinced of it. 

Whereas his best mate will  be a footnote. 

Strange how football works sometimes..

• Like 1

Â