John McGinn

PompeyVillan

As much as we’ve not been recruiting well as some think, but McGinn was an absolute bargain. Helped us promoting, then staying up then going to Europe and hopefully more this year. 

We’ve doubted him at times (mainly because of Gerrard) but he proved us wrong.

going back to the recruitment, I don’t think it was bad as some say, even some bad signings had their moments. But to have McGinn and Mings in the Championship to be proper first teamers to take us to Europe? Then you add Luiz and Konsa from alour survival year, and now they are our main players? 

Why don't we roll it into his feet in the box, or up the pitch all the time?

**** get him up front if we have to. No one can get round him.

We should do it a lot more with him and Watkins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Why don't we roll it into his feet in the box, or up the pitch all the time?

**** get him up front if we have to. No one can get round him.

We should do it a lot more with him and Watkins.

He did superbly when Pau (I think) played it into his feet. He rolled the defender and teed up Dougie. Unfortunately Dougie didn't have his shooting boots on today.

19 hours ago, Villarocker said:

He needs to play further forward and not be covering back around have final third. John did well to keep his head together after being booked first half nad looking constantly at their players. 

Agreed. His workrate is such a big asset, but it means that he gets deployed all over the place which takes the edge off his play a little bit. Those surging runs forward, or breaking through the opposition midfield line on the half turn, really change matches (and get the fans up, too). 

Asked about Villa’s Thursday to Sunday schedule, McGinn said: “It’s been difficult. There was one season I had with Hibs, which wasn’t Europe but was more than 60 matches in a season.

“I am used to it in a certain way but when you get old it is a little bit harder to manage. But on the other side I think you get experience and learn to do things properly. I still feel good. Maybe the last 10 minutes I didn’t feel the best but I managed to get through it.”

"It’s a bit ridiculous to be honest," he said when asked about the amount of added time. "Supporters want to come and see 90 minutes of fast ferocious football but with 16 minutes added I think it is impossible.

"I understand why they are trying to do it. I think even today there was some playacting, the ball still gets kicked away. I do think players are getting better, we are. But I think 16 minutes is a bit extravagant. The 30 seconds at the side is also something we need to address. I suppose it is the rules and we just need to get on with it. I am not educated enough to give my opinion on it really but 16 minutes today did seem a bit extreme.

27 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He seems to have become more articulate as a leader since Unai has come in. Candid, but quite insightful. 

I read his parents are school teachers so I'd say he's pretty clever and articulate when he wants to be bar the brogue

• Like 1

On 09/10/2023 at 00:34, PaulC said:

Certainly our best midfield players today 

He is and he's always had it in him, even when many on here would give him shit years ago and even wanting him sold at one point, this player was always in there.

We are now seeing why Fergy tried to get Man Utd to sign him from us for many years and you can see why.

All he needed was a proper coach to bring the best out of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â