John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Crikey. Short passes, long passes, clinical tackles, Cruyff turns, dribbles, crosses, shots. He's starting to look like prime Cowans (no higher praise from me). The complete midfielder. 

• Like 2

Another excellent performance again yesterday. The way he spins and turns away from players is so good to watch.

I do think we'll add some real quality in midfield over the summer so he isn't going to start as much next season, but he's such a vital part of this squad.

Previously he was constantly looking for the Hollywood pass a number of which aimlessly drifted out for a throw in. 

Under Don Unai he is selective with his passing, fitter , stronger and combined with improved positioning and tactical awareness he’s now undroppable. 

He’s always been a strong character and team player but now his physical and technical attributes match. 

• Like 1

Emery could quite easily have given the captaincy to someone else when he arrived. Martinz(for a while), Mings..... nope, when McGinn got himself together Unai gave him the armband straight back. That tells me McGinn is his leader in this team and isn't going to be replaced anytime soon.  

34 minutes ago, pete101 said:

The word legend is probably thrown around a bit loosely but is mcginn a villa legend at this point?

Huge part of a team that got us promoted

Part of team that stayed up on last day of season

And is possibly about to Captain the side to European football 

There is a reason why McGinn has been a first team regular under 4 different managers here...and it's not because he has incriminating photos of them with the VP cleaners!

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

There is a reason why McGinn has been a first team regular under 4 different managers here...and it's not because he has incriminating photos of them with the VP cleaners!

Part of the reason is that we've had some really **** "back up" midfielders - so his position has never really been threatened.  That said he's really stepped up and raised his game (although that is more to do with him knowing what his role is and being properly coached than him being complacent before).  There have been a couple of occasions in the past where he's talked about being in good form when (in my opinion) he's been in anything but good form.  I think Emery is better at explaining what people should be doing and how they are doing - very little "I can't fault the effort or the players" and more "we did well but we'll analyse how we can do better".   Keeps everyone on their toes and stops them becoming complacent with decent performances.  McGinn definitely seems to have cut down the number of awful drifty long balls hit in the vague direction of the far wing.  He's had a huge role in getting us from A to B - I'm really pleased that it looks likely that he'll help us to get to C too.

I don't think he's good enough to be classed as a legend - but he's played a big role in our return for sure.

4 pages of love for McGinn on here and totally deserved. 

I genuinely feel like yesterday may have been one of the most complete midfield performances I've ever seen from a Villa player. He absolutely dominated Spurs, was like watching a man play against boys. 

I say a complete midfield performance even though he didn't score or assist, that's how supreme he was. 

Apologies to the Hibbies on here, I had a wobble on Meatball but your boy is every inch a top Premier League player. 

It's brilliant that we've come so far and still have 2 players from that Play Off Final part of it, in fact would easily be 3 if we'd kept hold of Jack. 

• Like 2

The only thing that is missing is the constant moaning to the ref when someone is fouled, line ala Kane, Son, Fernandes etc. That's just not his personality, he just wants to get on with the game and will crunch the player next time.

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I love how after that challenge from the little btich Romero he still got up and bodied him 🤣

Was he already on a yellow at that point? One of the most boneheaded players in the league, just went in two footed for no reason. He's going to injure someone badly one of these days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I love how after that challenge from the little btich Romero he still got up and bodied him 🤣

My favourite 2 bits are the catching son for pace (meatball rolls quick when he needs to) and then bully’s him to the floor and then turns Kane and leaves him on his arse too. I was very sceptical about his long term future but clearly competent coaching, natural talent and a incredible work ethic can see you go along way in this game, that and having the most effective arse in football.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I wasn’t a fan of the decision to strip Mings of the captaincy and give it to McGinn and I still don’t think it was a great idea but there is absolutely no need cause any more controversy by changing things around again. Like you said, he’s doing well, he keeps it. Don’t need any more drama like that going into next season. 

I don’t think emery does pointless self indulgent dick measuring self destruction he is far more considered and looks at the sun of the total parts. Only a fool of a manager would upset the team dynamic a few weeks before the start of the season by changing captains for no reason, really what idiot would ever do that ? 👀

19 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Previously he was constantly looking for the Hollywood pass a number of which aimlessly drifted out for a throw in. 

Under Don Unai he is selective with his passing, fitter , stronger and combined with improved positioning and tactical awareness he’s now undroppable. 

He’s always been a strong character and team player but now his physical and technical attributes match. 

100% this. He’s actually improved immeasurably by simplifying his game. 

John, I owe you an apology. 

I thought you were not good enough for this level. I thought your technique and decision making would mean that lower half Premier League would be your limit. 

Then Don Unai arrived, recognised your strengths, and made you play to them. Now, you’re undroppable, and been probably our best player in this calendar year. 

You’ve cut out the Hollywood passes, which was always my main gripe with you, and you now make the right decision/pass 19 times out of 20. I’m very much back in love with you, and I’m a fool for ever falling out of love. 

Super John McGinn is back, and I for one could not be happier to be eating humble pie. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pete101 said:

The word legend is probably thrown around a bit loosely but is mcginn a villa legend at this point?

Huge part of a team that got us promoted

Part of team that stayed up on last day of season

And is possibly about to Captain the side to European football 

No, not yet - Mings is quite a bit ahead of him in this respect because of the consistency of his performances. If McGinn keeps up this level, though, then who knows?

Â