John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Yeh, Ramsey always first choice but he does mainly play left side. Prolly just Buendia continues on that right-side. 

Buendia has played on the left under Emery.  I'd prefer Buendia switched to the right in all honesty and Ramsey on left.

We haven't played well since he's been out.

For all his limitations, I think his game intelligence is pretty good. And no one else seems to look much good in that advanced midfield role, which is a funny role to play. Not Bailey, not Buendia, not Coutinho, not Ramsey.

• Like 2

We’ve definitely missed him. He gives us physicality and presence on the pitch which was really lacking at times last night. He does have his limitations but in our current squad, he is worthy of a starting place.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2023 at 02:02, Tomaszk said:

We haven't played well since he's been out.

For all his limitations, I think his game intelligence is pretty good. And no one else seems to look much good in that advanced midfield role, which is a funny role to play. Not Bailey, not Buendia, not Coutinho, not Ramsey.

Ramsey has he's just been injured and only getting pack up to speed. Ramsey is a far better passer if the ball than McGinn and is better at carrying it forward too. Plus he's a very good finisher. 

McGinn is a better defender and his long passing is very good. 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Apparently McGinn did a really good interview on Sky Sports before the game on Friday. Anyone seen a video of it anywhere?

I was watching it in the Yew tree Friday night before the game with the sound down but did notice he has a really odd hairline 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Apparently McGinn did a really good interview on Sky Sports before the game on Friday. Anyone seen a video of it anywhere?

I saw a bit of it, one funny thing was Kamara cannot understand a word he says....Kamara just says: "Yeah, ok Bro".

He was quite down to earth in saying the players are doing so well they could push him out of the starting line-up.

Consequently to what many people think I actually like him, seems a great guy.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ramsey has he's just been injured and only getting pack up to speed. Ramsey is a far better passer if the ball than McGinn and is better at carrying it forward too. Plus he's a very good finisher. 

McGinn is a better defender and his long passing is very good. 

In someways yes, in others ways no.

John uses his rear, to roll his opponent, which is good..... but when it comes to one on one defending, he isn't sharp, quick or athletic enough, and that showed when he played centre mid with Luiz.

He has a strong presence, but not necessarily a good defender, gets turned easily.....I think his forte, is late runs in to the box.

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was watching it in the Yew tree Friday night before the game with the sound down but did notice he has a really odd hairline 

sure is a random comment, trying to work out the relevance.....was the "High Line" in your thoughts at the time?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 10:55, Delphinho123 said:

He protects the ball better than both Buendia and Bailey and he offers us a bit of physicality in there as well. He shouldn't play central midfield for us again anytime soon, but I'd have him in the starting XI in either an advanced or wide position. 

For me, he doesn't offer enough to start over either of those. Both of those players are happy to receive it in tight areas (Kenneth) - McGinn never feels confident doing this. Buendia's workrate eclipses McGinn's also, and he always has a killer pass in him.

And as frustrating as Bailey can be, he's also our most dangerous attacker.

Edited by Tom13

If Mcginn was playing Friday night, we'd have drawn/lost. His lack of tracking back and just letting runners go past him, while pointing at everyone else to track them has cost us so many times in the past. As everyone said, we'd have not won that normally and I think that's because, partly, Mcginn wasn't on the pitch.

He disappears when we are under pressure.

• Shocked 1

This thread is  real rollercoaster of reactions. Very much a case of "don't know what you've got till it's gone" reaction post Wolves, then a "never needed him anyway" post Leeds.

Sits between those two extremes for me.

He's going to be a great squad player for us the remainder of the season, but hopefully signing a new mid means he earns his place and/or gets picked against the teams that suit, rather than getting in by default.

However he is used, and whatever happens to him from now on, he has been a massive bargain.  Possibly our best bargain in recent history. Kamara might surpass that being free, but his wages probably equate to what we paid for McGinn already.

Get well soon Ginny!

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yes posted about it Friday, spoke about being out of form under the previous manager and felt guilty about it. Then went into a some detail about how important positional play is under Emery, praised The Luiz And Kamara partnership and joked about players not understanding his accent. Seems like a top bloke came across well,  likeable and a good professional. It doesn’t shock me that every manager to date has taken to him.

• Like 3

Â