John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I need to preface this by saying I like McGinn, always have - a great person and a good player.

The decision to give him captaincy however, was an extremely poor one. 

John is inspirational in his own way, he'll have the odd barnstormer game, he'll usually have a 10-15 min spell in a game where he's flying around, getting tackles in, breaking up play and the odd goal or great pass..  Generally lifting the team and crowd in those moments.. 

However, we've already talked and discussed the Mings thing, but there's something else which gives me the feeling it was a poor mistake.

John off the pitch, in interviews, in club videos, is a bit of a joker.  Nothing wrong with that, it's essential in a team environment to have someone who can take the seriousness away and make others laugh.  He turns up as a chicken, it's funny.  He runs around making glasses when he scores, it's fun. 

But is that really the type of leadership a football club want?  The face of the club?  It just doesn't seem right to me.  I look at the obvious captains of De Bruyne (who appears as though nothing really phases him), Ronaldo (who is ULTRA focused on his game), Gerrard, Scholes, Keane, Viera, Terry, Chiellini, Bonucci, Pirlo, Hugo Lloris and loads more.. They're more serious.  They are stoic, they try and be that person, regardless of the situation.  To me, McGinn doesn't fit that criteria.  

It's not going to change soon, but I just wanted to make the point that, if the squad at our current low can't look around for someone like those I listed, then how can they approach every game with the gravitas our situation requires at the moment, despite I have no worries that they do respect McGinn, but maybe not in the right way we need at the moment. 

Bang on. John is good fun, good for the dressing room, can lift a team in moments with hard work.

But hardly captain of the squad material. Think of the captains even in the past 10 years. Petrov, Vlaar, ignore 2015 club captain Gabby, Elphick, Chester, Terry, finally Jack then Mings.

Only Jack doesn't really fit the mold but he led by sheer example. All the other captains were picked for their leadership and steady hand of the team.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

image.png.bc24676cec8e8bca35b6bc58e92adb0e.png

I love John McGinn and I am so happy he is at this club, I hope he will be for a long time. But if the reason Tyrone needed to be stripped of the Captaincy was to focus on his game then that goes double for McGinn. I didn't see him barking out instructions or lifting the team.

This decision has harmed the confidence of two of our best players. McGinn and Tyrone. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

Thing is, he's the captain for the season now, even if Gerrard is replaced. 

I can't see any new manager stripping him of the captaincy and giving it back to Mings, it would be very bad man management. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Thing is, he's the captain for the season now, even if Gerrard is replaced. 

I can't see any new manager stripping him of the captaincy and giving it back to Mings, it would be very bad man management. 

Doesn’t mean they have to start him

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Doesn’t mean they have to start him

It makes it more awkward to drop him for more than the odd game. 

Best bet might be to sell him in January. 

Shouldn't start and see how it goes.

I have been saying  he has been a problem in this team for a while. Most of the attack has pace. Is McGinn there just to slow the play down, cause that's all he does.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Â