John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

🤫 shhhhh it’ll be the bargain of the century **ahem cough cough wink wink .*** we are being ripped off with that valuation.

Yes erm... Man Utd would have pulled our pants down with that price. We erm... can't allow this to happen.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bardell mentioned yesterday, that the " role " we have him playing, takes away from all the things he is good at.

Yeah. What is he actually good at these days though? I haven’t seen much that he does well over the last 18 months or so

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

And what was his excuse when he wasn't captain? It's not his fault. It's Gerrard's for not seeing how he's not the best option in CM 😡

It’s not just on Gerrard though, he was playing poorly under Smith as well. He is one of those players loved by managers 

He's been shocking the last couple of seasons never giving us more than the odd game when he contributes more than an arse in someone's groin. I used to really like his all action style, now he reminds me of Trez in the middle and just irritates me. Also, it says everything that he's done one interview which was before the season opener, since then gone into hiding not even acknowledging fans at the end of the games. Great captain. 

3 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Yeah. What is he actually good at these days though? I haven’t seen much that he does well over the last 18 months or so

To be fair to him the bizarre insistence from Smith and Gerrard to always play him no matter how out of form or how knackered he looks is matched by neither of them ever playing him in the attacking role that he looks so good in for Scotland 

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to him the bizarre insistence from Smith and Gerrard to always play him no matter how out of form or how knackered he looks is matched by neither of them ever playing him in the attacking role that he looks so good in for Scotland 

He's not going to get an AM gig in the PL imo. I just don't see enough from his short range passing, shooting or any of the other attributes that someone like Emi possesses. There are too many better AM's than McGinn for him to ever get that role at this level. Playing for Scotland could get him an AM role in the Championship though. I agree with the rest though, they've never helped him, either by resting him when needed or just replacing him when poor. 

• Like 2

Needs to be played furthest forward in a 3 or in a quasi CF role against sides where they have a lot of the ball and we need to defend the middle a lot.

At his best in the championship, he was charging into the box or knicking it off players high up the pitch. Turn them near the byline and put in a good cross or shot on goal. Look up his highlights in the championship and in some patches during lockdown season. He was the late runner into the box or pressing high up the pitch. Not this weird shuffler/long passer/right back role he's been forced into. He also suffered under Smith playing in similar role in a double pivot with Luiz but at least he was in the middle of the pitch then. Just not his game for every match. 

Again - a role to play against certain sides but can not be a nailed on starter in the prem for every game with his limitations.

Edited by DJBOB

It’s gone to the stage for me I’ll be glad when we’ve sold him, can’t stand seeing him do the usual stick his arse out to tackle and always putting it back onto his left, he got away with one Sunday when they got it off him doing that when Bowen messed that one on one up

Mcginn has hit his ceiling simply not good enough cannot retain the ball,cannot pass the ball and tackles normally leads to fouls.

Gerrard hasn't helped himself by giving him the armband but mcginn is getting worse by the week.

Ten Haag dropped maguire that's what a manager does drops failing players, mcginn is only in because the guy who cannot manage is absolutely blinkered and thinks the hardest trainers are automatic starters.

• Like 1

It should be McGinn coming on at 60 or 70 mins, not Buendia!! Emi should be the player we build around.

When last season ended, I had hoped that we would strengthen the team (especially midfield) so well in this window, that John would not be a regular starter.

Having him come off the bench for the last 20-30 mins would be quite helpful for us, seeing him chase and harry the opposition and steal the ball in advantageous positions for us… help us get another goal or two. He doesn’t have the energy, fitness or stamina to do much more than that nowadays despite being played further back and having to change/adapt his game (unsuccessfully). That is a bit of a shame tbh, he hasn’t been allowed to play to his strengths either, despite being poor for the most part…

I clearly underestimated Gerrard’s obsession with him… FFS he made him captain! 🤦‍♂️ One of the worst managerial decisions I have witnessed and can remember for Villa…

I don’t see any other solution than appointing a new manager that will strip McGinn of the captaincy and give it to someone who is up to the task… I can only see Mings and Martinez as worthy in our present squad…

I can’t see SG changing his mind on this or giving John less time… he’s far too stubborn and egotistical to do that…

I honestly believe that Sanson is the superior player, at least technically. Maybe he doesn’t possess the same (strength of) personality or tenacity or something… but I think it’s apparent that he can’t possibly have less energy and drive than John now (maybe in the past, but he seems to have lost it). I believe he has better control of the ball, a better pass and a better shot - at the very least.

Maybe this is a controversial statement, but I’ve always sensed a bit of “British bias” and maybe that’s part of the reasoning that McGinn and Ramsey are so favoured over our other, available midfielders. Even Luiz when it is obvious that he is the superior and more fitting option for us…

I can’t imagine that Morgan would play an worse than McGinn right now. He’s got more ability and technical skill. Same goes for Luiz but at least he’s involved… Ramsey is our future, and so is Kamara (maybe more so), that’s if we can hang on to the lad, that’s not going to happen if we keep struggling…

There shouldn’t be a place for John in our midfield going forwards, that’s if we have any genuine ambition and actually want to progress… 

What an absolute mess…

I do actually feel sorry for him with the weight and burden of being captain, he’s clearly overwhelmed and unfit for that role. It’s not his fault that he was chosen for this role…

I don’t have any ire for him, but I do for the guy who is in charge and sees him as  our most important player 🤦‍♂️

Get lost. 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Serious question but his last 5 good games for us when were they?

I am guessing 2020 might be one of the first we find

His good games are all over the place so inconsistent. I just want him to have a rest on the bench to refocus. It's not rocket science. What is wrong with the coaching staff wind's me right up!

(He'll probably score a hattick tonight to make me look a mug)

Edited by birdman

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He is one of those players loved by managers 

Usually, the players loved by managers do the little things, the dirty work, that fans don't notice.

After Gerard appointed McGinn captain, I decided to concentrate on him for the Bournemouth game to see if he was doing the little things. I didn't see it.

To be fair, he played better against Everton, and he was OK in the first half against West Ham. But a more balanced midfield with Dougie probably contributed to the latter.

3 hours ago, TomC said:

Usually, the players loved by managers do the little things, the dirty work, that fans don't notice.

After Gerard appointed McGinn captain, I decided to concentrate on him for the Bournemouth game to see if he was doing the little things. I didn't see it.

To be fair, he played better against Everton, and he was OK in the first half against West Ham. But a more balanced midfield with Dougie probably contributed to the latter.

This seasons our midfield have been rubbish, bar the first half against West Ham. That means all our midfield players haven’t looked good either. When we have a balanced midfield where each midfielder is given a clear role that utilises their strengths, they would look so much better than they are at the moment. I’m sure McGinn would look a lot better in a good working midfield unit, than the rubbish performances we see at the moment. 

13 hours ago, villan501 said:

Mcginn has hit his ceiling simply not good enough cannot retain the ball,cannot pass the ball and tackles normally leads to fouls.

Gerrard hasn't helped himself by giving him the armband but mcginn is getting worse by the week.

Ten Haag dropped maguire that's what a manager does drops failing players, mcginn is only in because the guy who cannot manage is absolutely blinkered and thinks the hardest trainers are automatic starters.

Agree with this and because such a song and dance was made about the captaincy it feels like Gerrard is afraid to admit he's got this one wrong by taking him off when he should/not starting him in the first place.

Â