UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

On 22/08/2016 at 10:01, kurtsimonw said:

Diaz will regret those final two rounds a bit. He was never going to get the decision in a close fight, for obvious reasons. 

I assume you think Diaz had more to give in those final 2 rounds?

He gave everything. Conor had done the hard work in the first 2 rounds taking away the weapon of his opponent.

On 21 August 2016 at 12:55, Chindie said:

Also worth mentioning, Rumble is a scary man. Glover has never been made to look like that.

Rumble is an absolute KILLER! Whether he goes in with Jon Jones or DC he always has a chance with that knockout power. 

DC will attempt (again) to wrestle him for 5 round until he tires, Jon Jones would be interesting. Rumble (stylistically) has a better chance of beating Jones that DC imo.

Edited by pas5898

Whilst there's a lot wrong with boxing, and whilst UFC and MMA certainly is a rising tide, his argument seems to be "I do not talk about boxing therefore it is dead", which is utterly ridiculous. 

He appears to think the US is the rest of world, but on a global level, boxing is doing extremely well, and it's popularity is growing, especially in Eastern Europe and Asia.

That said he is on to something in the US, whilst the UFC still has a way to go in terms of PPV numbers, with big boxing fights still tending to do better than big UFC cards, there are no real viable PPV stars in boxing right now, with Mayweather and Pacquiao exiting the sport. And in fact the 'boxing doing better at PPV' is more down to legacy - boxing has had that model far longer than UFC.

Recently, attempts to make the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Golovkin, Terrance Crawford and Andre Ward PPV attractions haven't really worked at all. UFC has cracked at least 1m PPV buyrate 5 times in the past year whilst boxing's highest buyrate was 900k (Cotto vs Alvarez). 

Boxing is not producing legit. cross over stars at the moment and the fracturing of the sport, meaning that there's 4 world titles per division, undermines credibility and ensures that the best do not fight the best. UFC gives you the best vs the best consistently, which is a big selling factor.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing that was Punk's retirement fight, 

Werdum's start to the fight, epic.

Miocic doesn't mess about, not impressed with Overeem running away and trying to say he felt him tap. 

Edited by V01
That fly kick tho

5 hours ago, V01 said:

Guessing that was Punk's retirement fight, 

I get the felling Punk will keep fighting until he gets that 1 under the win column even if it takes the next decade and another 10 losses to get there. Nothing about his speech after the match signified him calling it quits.

I admire CM Punk's belief in himself, but he's in his late 30s, has never fought in any martial arts discipline before last night, and got absolutely destroyed.

He's gonna need to stop because he's going to get hurt. He trained for 2 years to get mauled last night by someone who isn't at the top either. He's not going to beat anyone with a shred of experience, which is everyone he's going to fight. He's relying on a lucky punch or coming up against an absolute bum.

I admire the belief and his having a go, but that needs to stop there.

Rest of the card was fairly flat. Miocic Overeem should have been a better spectacle but wasn't bad, Werdum Browne had the bizarre moment of Browne making up his own rules and the bad blood at the end, and the rest... Happened I guess. Not the worst card this year but we'll better.

Edited by Chindie

Â