UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Was due to headline a Bellator event in London at the O2 next month aswell. Perhaps oddly, his death is receiving a lot more covereage than Bisping's win in the media here. And by that I mean, it's visible on mainstream news sites, such as BBC. Bisping's win was not, at all.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Was due to headline a Bellator event in London at the O2 next month aswell. Perhaps oddly, his death is receiving a lot more covereage than Bisping's win in the media here. And by that I mean, it's visible on mainstream news sites, such as BBC. Bisping's win was not, at all.

media agenda? If this anything to do with drugs im sure BBC will be all over the case and ignorantly comparing it with WWE

There's reference to the no contests where he tested positive for anebolic steroid's last year, and his past as a 'street fighter', but I think that's just in there as part of a standard bio you'd expect. I wouldn't call it a media agenda, at least not now, if there are follow up articles, well...

It doesn't refer to heart failure as cause of death though, just that there is 'no foul play suspected', which initially made me think suicide but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I kinda liked the dude, not as a fighter, but he made money the only way he could, really. Give him some props for that. Leaves six kids. His eldest son recently made is own MMA debut as it happens.

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've never watched a UFC tournament, and I've not watched WWE in the better part of a decade. But I have to see how Lesnar gets on in a proper fight after this long a break, I'm in.

I'm fairly certain, in terms of PPV, Lesnar is the biggest draw the UFC has ever had. The man is an absolute beast and accomplished a great deal in his relatively short MMA career. 

Given the nature of this agreement - the WWE not paying Lesnar enough and thus Lesnar will be allowed to compete in the UFC, it would make sense to give Lesnar a few stiffs before he steps it up, such is his economic power.

I may be wrong on this but I believe Lesnar's health problems mean he can't compete in UFC regularly, so it's unlikely he's going to get contracted on anything more than occasional one off appearances I think.

And shoving him in against Hunt isn't quite putting him in with a stiff, to say the least. Hunt's a really hard bastard and hits ludicrously hard. He's far from the fittest or most technical but he will brawl with anyone. Lesnar can absolutely beat him, if it goes to the ground Hunt's done, but Hunt's capable of walk away knock out on anyone. Could be a bit of a freak show fight for a special night for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm fairly certain, in terms of PPV, Lesnar is the biggest draw the UFC has ever had. The man is an absolute beast and accomplished a great deal in his relatively short MMA career. 

Given the nature of this agreement - the WWE not paying Lesnar enough and thus Lesnar will be allowed to compete in the UFC, it would make sense to give Lesnar a few stiffs before he steps it up, such is his economic power.

Lesnar was technically released early by the UFC - Technically they could have stopped him competing with the WWE until his fights were done. Obviously his illness made that impossible so they agreed to his early release. Don't be surprised if there wasn't a small stipulation in there that if all parties agreed the UFC could call upon him if required. 

• 2 weeks later...

CM Punk confirmed to be taking on Mickey Gall at UFC 203 in September, whom has a record of 2-0 at Welterweight, having won twice via first round rear naked choke.

12 minutes ago, hogso said:

CM Punk confirmed to be taking on Mickey Gall at UFC 203 in September, whom has a record of 2-0 at Welterweight, having won twice via first round rear naked choke.

It really is a bit of a joke but it will sell PPVs by the truckload. Gall looked pretty useful so I hope Brooks is well prepared

Ryan Jimmo was killed Sunday in a hit-and-run incident following a dispute with another driver.

The former UFC light heavyweight was allegedly struck by a car while walking back to his own car early Sunday morning in Edmonton, according to multiple reports. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was later declared dead. Jimmo was 34 years old.

There was a "brief verbal altercation" between the drivers of separate vehicles in the parking lot of a lounge in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada early Sunday morning. The driver of one vehicle approached the other vehicle on foot. When the man was walking back to his vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle allegedly sped up, struck the man and left the scene.

:( Thats just awful. RIP "Big Deal"

20ji5w0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Jones pulled out of ufc 200 by USADA for a failed drug test. Lesnar vs Hunt is main event now. 

If the test fail is confirmed that has to be Jones finished in ufc. 

Gustafsson wants the fight, just waiting for the call. Says he can be in Vegas for 10pm this evening.

Cormier v Gus 2 would be better than Cormier v Jones 2.

Edited by Rainer

1 hour ago, Rainer said:

Gustafsson wants the fight, just waiting for the call. Says he can be in Vegas for 10pm this evening.

Cormier v Gus 2 would be better than Cormier v Jones 2.

F that. I want to see gus in Germany :D

Just move Mousasi up from the prelims. He can hang with the big boys.

Key points from Jon Jones's press conference just now

• Jones apologized to DC, fans and the UFC
• Jones is not sure of what they found in his sample, but he believes it may be a banned supplement.
• B Sample is being tested today, hope to get result tonight.
• Jones was very emotional, had a hard time speaking, and had to leave the Presser once to compose himself.
• Jones still has not spoken to Dana or the Fertitta's.
• If he does get suspended (2 years) he will still return to fighting.
• He says he is not a cheater.

Â