UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

The Anderson Silva ko of Shogun is perhaps my favourite front kick knock out. Came out of nowhere, Shogun was actually probably on top iirc until it hit him as well. Sadly not on YouTube.

Edit. Not Shogun, it was Belfort! Of course...

Edited by Chindie
Memory loss

Joao Carvalho has died.

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/portuguese-mma-fighter-dies-following-injuries-suffered-at-dublin-event/74022

MMA fans in Ireland and across the world are in mourning following confirmation that Joao Carvalho has passed away from injuries sustained in a cage fighting event in Dublin last weekend.

And we've some real fuddy duddy gubment types over here who really do not like UFC as a sport, worsened by the fact it has exploded in popularity thanks to McGregor.  There are calls ranging from more regulation to outright banning.

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Punching someone to death after they have been knocked to the ground should be considered murder. I'm not sure why you would make an exception because it happened on a stage. 

Both people go into the cage knowing the rules, knowing what is allowed and what isn't and the potential risks.

It isn't murder is it.

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Punching someone to death after they have been knocked to the ground should be considered murder. I'm not sure why you would make an exception because it happened on a stage. 

I've never watched that much UFC/MMA but that's one of the things that turns me off.  It seems in order to win you often have to sit on the opposition and punch the other guy in the head repeatedly before the ref calls it off.  I haven't seen this incident, mind you, but in general the sport does seem incredibly dangerous.

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Both people go into the cage knowing the rules, knowing what is allowed and what isn't and the potential risks.

It isn't murder is it.

You could  make the same argument about two people who square up outside a pub.

22 hours ago, BOF said:

And we've some real fuddy duddy gubment types over here who really do not like UFC as a sport, worsened by the fact it has exploded in popularity thanks to McGregor.  There are calls ranging from more regulation to outright banning.

while I wouldnt be a big fan of the sport (not because of violence it just doesnt entertain me) the media reaction has been nothing short of a joke here and if honest they have been waiting for something tragic like this to happen to push their agenda. was front page of at least 4 papers yesterday

Edited by Zatman

Â