Relegation thread

Vive_La_Villa

What a ridiculous thread to open when we dont even know the team or manager we will have next year! 

Let's at least wait for the first loss before this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

What a ridiculous thread to open when we dont even know the team or manager we will have next year! 

I’ve asked for it to be closed. Only a mod can do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

No more ridiculous than the promotion thread

I personally don't think we will go down, but there's nothing wrong with the discussion of the possibility after the statement put out by Xia

I think if Bruce stays then we will finish somewhere mid-table like in his first year, however if we appoint an up and coming manager who knows how to set a team up positively then I think we may have a season similar to Millwall, Sheffield United or Bristol City by either narrowly missing out on playoffs or just squeeze in with a bit of luck.

Don't think we can expect to boss the league with the financial mess we are in, and taking the claret & blue tinted glasses off for a moment - its not beyond the realms of possibility that relegation could happen if things dont go well

• Like 2

------------------Steer------------------

Elmo---Chester-Jedi---DeLaet

-----Hourihane----Lansbury----

Adomah--Grealish------Green

----------------Kodjia----------------

Davis, BB, McCormack, Hogan, Gil, Whelan, O'Hare, Clark, Taylor,  Bree, Elphick, Samba (ugh), Richards (UGH), Gollini

Needs improving, but not a relegation side.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Embarrassing for who? It’s a discussion forum. I’m accepting it’s going to be a very hard season. Why would I want to have a bet with you about it? 

It should be embarrassing for everyone. 

Now now people. I can see why the thread has been created. Plenty of teams have lost in the playoff final and had poor seasons the year after. We have lost some key players and Grealish and/or Chester may go as well. It all depends on the summer we have so I will stay out of this thread until the window is shut.

On 03/06/2018 at 14:21, Vive_La_Villa said:

As it stands now what makes our starting 11 so much better than the likes of Birmingham, Reading, Hull?  Non of them teams should have been in a relegation scrap. 

I’m amazed the optimistic about our chances many still have. 

We’re better in every position down the spine of the team than any of those sides (Chester, Grealish, Kodjia) and none of them were relegated.

It isn’t outside the realms of possibility that we’re in a relegation fight next season, but I’d be utterly staggered if we are.

For all those who think this couldn't happen , let me take you a quite  a few years - I appreciate many if not most were not born then. We were in the Second Division, we had just appointed Tommy Docherty as manager amidst a wave of publicity (even in the national press). We were hot favourites to go up. I sat in Trinity Road on a lovely sunny August day to watch us play Norwich; we lost  0 -1 to a Ken Foggo goal (ex Albion IIRC) and we went down to the Third. Never think this couldn't happen again !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve asked the mods to close the thread twice but it remains open. 

I take it all back. We won’t get relegated. 

It’s not about whether or not we will get relegated, for what it’s worth I don’t think it’ll even be close, It’s the fact that this thread has been opened before a ball has been kicked.

its beyond pessimistic.

Close this down. This is part of the kind of negativity that developed during our last 2 years in the prem and that was toxic. We should be arrogant about this and say we are Aston Villa the biggest club in the league and we are getting promoted. End of story 

5 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It’s not about whether or not we will get relegated, for what it’s worth I don’t think it’ll even be close, It’s the fact that this thread has been opened before a ball has been kicked.

its beyond pessimistic.

It all depends on your interpretation of the thread. Pessimisim or discussion? My intention of starting it was to talk about the chances of us being dragged in to a fight.

The only other thread was the promotion race. Felt strange discussing the possibility of a relegation battle there. 

I take back opening this thread so soon. Hope it doesn’t get dragged up again. I just think we are in trouble and the sooner fans accept it the sooner we can try and enjoy the season for what it is. 

But yes I admit. Too soon to know the level of trouble we are in. 

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It all depends on your interpretation of the thread. Pessimisim or discussion? My intention of starting it was to talk about the chances of us being dragged in to a fight.

The only other thread was the promotion race. Felt strange discussing the possibility of a relegation battle there. 

I take back opening this thread so soon. Hope it doesn’t get dragged up again. I just think we are in trouble and the sooner fans accept it the sooner we can try and enjoy the season for what it is. 

But yes I admit. Too soon to know the level of trouble we are in. 

This thread could be busier than expected now mate ;)

11 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

Close this down. This is part of the kind of negativity that developed during our last 2 years in the prem and that was toxic. We should be arrogant about this and say we are Aston Villa the biggest club in the league and we are getting promoted. End of story 

We are Aston Villa and we are getting promoted - I think this was the case for the last two season - this year I really don't think so - but neither do I fear relegation.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

This thread could be busier than expected now mate ;)

It’s tragic :(

i bet that 25-1 has gone. 

Edit: William Hill have cut to 8-1! Wtf

Betfred still offering 22-1.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â