What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Apart from a bacardi and mixer, I've never really had rum, certainly not neat

What would you fine people recommend for a rum virgin? I see a lot of different ones here. 

You can't go wrong with Kraken really, as villa4europe said earlier in the thread the balance is just right. 

It's best on it's own but also mixes fine with some coke.

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons I like Sailor Jerry's and Old J is they are quite sweet, which maybe hardened rum fans might say isn't as good (but I'm just guessing)

So they might be a good start too as they're probably more palatable.

But either way I'd say stick to dark rum and stay away from Bacardi. And if you're not keen at first then just have it with a lot of coke and gradually make it stronger as you get used to the taste

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I quite like a dark rum, very occasionally. When I first heard there was something called spiced rum (with the pirate image and all) I got quite excited. I thought it would be a proper hard core drink, maybe with ginger and chilli, real fiery stuff. Boy, was I disappointed. It's the girliest of girly drinks. Big let-down.

I quite like a dark rum, very occasionally. When I first heard there was something called spiced rum (with the pirate image and all) I got quite excited. I thought it would be a proper hard core drink, maybe with ginger and chilli, real fiery stuff. Boy, was I disappointed. It's the girliest of girly drinks. Big let-down.

If you really want hard core, buy yourself some vodka and some fresh green chillies.

Insert chillies into bottle and leave for a few weeks.

Serve cold.

Quite a warming experience.  :)

• Like 1

If you really want hard core, buy yourself some vodka and some fresh green chillies.

Serve cold.

Quite a warming experience. :)

That sounds good, might try it.

Serve cold.

Quite a warming experience. :)

That sounds good, might try it.

You might want to try a couple of chillies at a time.

I overdid it a bit on my first effort and it turned into a sort of vindaloo man's challenge. :)

Original recipe margarita:

2 parts tequila

1 part Cointreau

1 part fresh squeezed lime juice

nothing else

shaken over ice.

tart, refreshing, sneaky (as in you wonder how you fell asleep in the easy chair).

Nothing like the confections you get in a Mexican restaurant or bar.

• Like 1

Original recipe margarita:

2 parts tequila

1 part Cointreau

1 part fresh squeezed lime juice

nothing else

shaken over ice.

tart, refreshing, sneaky (as in you wonder how you fell asleep in the easy chair).

Nothing like the confections you get in a Mexican restaurant or bar.

This. Just make sure you have a decent anejo, and you're all set.

• Like 1

Just drank a Murphy's stout in a can. Sometimes I think it's a better stout than it's more famous cousin.

It absolutely is.

Although I don't like either from a can. Nowhere near as nice as a proper pint.

Edited by Stevo985

Looked it up, Marks & sparks own brand?

Was in Edinburgh at the weekend, the big rum up there was OVD, **** hell it was horrible, avoided it like the plague when I was at the bar but if you asked for "rum and coke" that's what you got, was in one place and they had that, kraken and Havana club, of course every time someone else got a drink it was OVD

Edited by villa4europe

Yup M&S own brand

This is one of the reviews on it from the M&S website

probably the best rum deal this decade
13 November 2013
Freshness 
ratingSecondary.png
Value for Money 
ratingSecondary.png
Longevity 
ratingSecondary.png
Packaging 
ratingSecondary.png
This is Ron Zacapa rum that M and S have obviously done a sneaky deal with. There is only one distillery in Guatamala and it is the the Ron Zacapa distillery, regarded by many to be the finest rum in the world. If you buy this rum with the Ron Zacapa label it will cost you apprx £50 a bottle. Well done to M and S this has got to be the rum deal of the decade! Please dont mix this with coke it is for sipping only, its that good!

And here is another from an actual Rum website

http://thefloatingrumshack.com/content/index.php/43-marks-and-spencer-cana-negra-guatemalan-gran-reserva-rum

Edited by leemond2008

well I've just cracked it and its **** nice

It lacks that little vanilla hit that The Kraken has, after the first glass I would say that it is a more adult drink than the Kraken, at first I couldn't taste the caramel but after a sip or two there is a lingering after taste that definitely comes through.

really, really nice, its really smooth as well, I could sit and get quite happily pissed on that I think

edit

I've just switched to the Kraken and the Cana Negro (or 'can of negros' as someone misheard me saying at work today) is definitely a chill and enjoy drink wheras the Kraken is a bit more of a lively party drink

Edited by leemond2008

Well you've talked me into it, going to get a bottle tomorrow when I go get some Lagunitas.

let us know what you think of it (if you manage to get it, they rarely stock it, someone had to order mine off the internet for my birthday)

I think my little rum tasting session has got slightly out of hand, I've not had many glasses but they must have been rather large glasses (my mates never let me pour because my concept of small and large differs massively from everyone elses) but I'm feeling slightly wobbly now

Â