What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This thread might have had a shout regarding the article -

VT pub guide

In answer to the question, I have been to a dismal 2% of the pubs on that list which would be The Barton Arms.

It just means that there are 49 good pubs that I need to visit.

Oddly enough, we actually stayed in the Chepstow one, last month. Strange place. Barman was blatantly the local drug dealer. 

• Like 1

@HanoiVillan

It may have been asked before, so apologies if it has -

You know how there are people who buy albums with no idea of whether they like the music but they buy the record because they like the album artwork....are you doing a similar thing here but in drink form?

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

MikkellerHairintheMailbox.jpg

Name: Hair In The Mailbox

Brewer: Mikkeller

Price: £2.70

Side-of-can Bumf: n/a

Review: No novelty item this! Rooted around in the shop for ages, and in the end found the only can remaining. Still, knew that was a score. This is an IPA with a very floral initial taste, and a very fresh feel, which has subtle hints of a fruitier flavour in its aftertaste. Highly, highly recommended, even at the price. 

I bought this yesterday from M&S so will be tasting very soon. I hadn't been there for a while so was nice to see they'd got a few new beers and there 4 for 3 offer on.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Been to at least 2 (Bartons Arms and Britons Protection). The one in Cardiff looks familiar from a stag do so perhaps 3. 

Can't be arsed looking at the list fully but I'd tick those two off, not sure why Britons Protection is on there though, don't get me wrong, it's a decent boozer but that's all it is

Also spotted the George in Southwark and That Barge in Bristol which again is a baffling choice, I've been in better boozers in Bristol let alone anywhere else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Can't be arsed looking at the list fully but I'd tick those two off, not sure why Britons Protection is on there though, don't get me wrong, it's a decent boozer but that's all it is

Also spotted the George in Southwark and That Barge in Bristol which again is a baffling choice, I've been in better boozers in Bristol let alone anywhere else

Yeah the Britons Protection just strikes me as bang average. Peveril of the Peak was nicer/more memorable. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah the Britons Protection just strikes me as bang average. Peveril of the Peak was nicer/more memorable. 

Agreed, got to the end of the list and the only other one I can add is the Ship and Mitre in Liverpool, been in there many a time. It's a great real ale pub, so much choice

Also has a pretty wide selection of Whisk(e)y and other spirits if that's your thing (not mine) plus a huge range of bottled beer

It's generally the only place I drink on the North side of the city centre and I think it probably is the best pub in the city centre

• Like 2

On 04/11/2018 at 07:47, Shropshire Lad said:

@HanoiVillan

It may have been asked before, so apologies if it has -

You know how there are people who buy albums with no idea of whether they like the music but they buy the record because they like the album artwork....are you doing a similar thing here but in drink form?

Ha! Yeah, I guess a nice can helps appeal. It's not completely blind, I have a decent idea of things I might like first, but a can that looks decent in the fridge helps. 

• Like 1

10970689208350.png

Name: Old Fashioned Lemonade IPA

Brewer: Eviltwin Brewing

Price: £4.50

Side-of-can Bumf: 'A refreshing drink often associated with childhood nostalgia to others a pop-cultural symbol of emancipation blah blah blah a tasty, tempting and deceivingly well-balanced IPA with sweet and sour notes of blah blah blah' (may not be 100% accurate)

Review: Saved this absurdly expensive American import IPA for mid-terms election night. It's really quite tasty with a pleasingly sour lemon aftertaste, but impossible to recommend at this price point. 

On 04/11/2018 at 05:57, bickster said:

Flavoured piss in a can disguised as a beer is how I see all those posts

I'm in the never in a can crowd too and I generally like my beer to taste of... well beer not f***ing ham and pineapple pizza

Yeah but tell us how you really feel about the beatles....

In Bruges this weekend. Yesterday it was de Garre,  Saison Dupont,  and Affligem Tripel all being delicious, but there is such an array of beer here it's ridiculous. Steady as I go though, they're bloody strong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â