Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Well, that's kinda the thing with the Eternals. They are a really, really minor feature in the Marvel universe. They have some connections to bigger figures in the Marvel world but they themselves are barely a thing. The biggest run they had that I am aware of is when Neil Gaimen was on the title for a while, which I understand is the story that this film takes most of its inspiration from. Otherwise the Eternals are less... 'relevant'?... than even the Inhumans, and the Inhumans are just knock off X-Men.

yeah and i couldnt shake that which was detrimental to my enjoyment of it

if it wasn't marvel and had no connection to anything and was a brand new IP then i would say it was a good film despite its obvious faults and trying to do too much

edit - the kit harrington thing too, doesnt work for me, felt shoe horned in as an advert for their next product, he's also detrimental to the film overall 

Edited by villa4europe

So, finally got around the watching Eternals and boy, it hums like a kipper! 

too po-faced, convoluted and overlong for my liking. To make matters worse there was an Eternals Will Return banner at the end - do they really have to?!? 

A very generous 4/10 from me and definitely the least enjoyable movie under the Marvel banner.

Spoiler

The first extra scene was woeful - terrible CGI on the elf type thing and to make matters worse the ultra-wooden Harry Styles making an unwelcome appearance - I can only hope his character is bumped off quickly!

The second extra scene was more interesting and I can only guess it’s the introduction to the Blade redux? 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

So, finally got around the watching Eternals and boy, it hums like a kipper! 

too po-faced, convoluted and overlong for my liking. To make matters worse there was an Eternals Will Return banner at the end - do they really have to?!? 

A very generous 4/10 from me and definitely the least enjoyable movie under the Marvel banner.

Hide contents

The first extra scene was woeful - terrible CGI on the elf type thing and to make matters worse the ultra-wooden Harry Styles making an unwelcome appearance - I can only hope his character is bumped off quickly!

The second extra scene was more interesting and I can only guess it’s the introduction to the Blade redux? 

Spoilers for what the second end credits scene means

Spoiler

The voice is Mahersala Ali, who is the MCU's Blade (his first 'appearance' in canon, in fact, as the character). But the scene is actually more relevant to Kit Harrington's character. He's Dane Whitman, also known as the Black Knight, and the sword he seems afraid of is the Ebony Blade. The Ebony Blade can cut anything, pretty much, absorb various energies, it can transport it's wielder to itself if they are parted (or vice versa), even across dimensions and time, etc etc. However, it's also cursed - it carries a kind of blood lust that can affect it's wielder, causing someone who is overpowered by it's curse to crave violence and death to sate it's desires. It's like the dark twin of Excalibur in some traditions.

Whitman traditionally has no powers, he's just an exceptionally good swordsman, fighter and horse rider - essentially he's the best 'knight' you can imagine without being powered beyond human ability. He is a descendant of the original Black Knight, who was evil, and for whose actions the Ebony Blade was cursed. Whitman essentially aims to redeem the actions of his family's name, IIRC, and becomes a hero as a result.

Him, combined with Blade being around, and with Moon Knight on the scene, means we're going mystical/magical in a big way going forwards.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to watching spiderman 

Spoiler

The 1080 version is a good copy the 720 is still shit, both cams 

Its just brilliant isn't it? Think Tom Holland out of all of them is the one that can sellthe emotional stuff, credit to them because it should be a load of bollocks yet I watched it without questioning anything apart from the very end

Spoiler

What about photos and school records etc it's like they wiped him from existing not just from memory 

It just worked when really it shouldn't 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Finally got round to watching spiderman 

Reveal hidden contents

The 1080 version is a good copy the 720 is still shit, both cams 

Its just brilliant isn't it? Think Tom Holland out of all of them is the one that can sellthe emotional stuff, credit to them because it should be a load of bollocks yet I watched it without questioning anything apart from the very end

Reveal hidden contents

What about photos and school records etc it's like they wiped him from existing not just from memory 

It just worked when really it shouldn't 

I loved it too. It was the most purely fun film of really good quality in ages.

• 2 weeks later...

The rights for the Netflix series go back to them at the end of the month so we should know what their plans are.

Spoilers for recent films/series

Spoiler

We know that Matt Murdock as played by Charlie Cox is in the MCU now, and we know D'Onfrio's Kingpin is as well. So who knows where they go next.

• Thanks 1

New Dr Strange trailer for the SuperBowl.

Spoiler

Professor X!

Possibly. Sure sounds like Patrick Stewart and looks a bit like his silhouette.

Edit - Also that seems to be implying the Illuminati, so maybe Reed Richards showing up too? It was rumoured/theorised that the X-Men or Richards would show up with WandaVision, maybe they were pushed back to Multiverse of Madness when they decided to cut Dr Strange's role from it?

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Reveal hidden contents

Professor X!

Edit - Also that seems to be implying the Illuminati, so maybe Reed Richards showing up too? It was rumoured/theorised that the X-Men or Richards would show up with WandaVision, maybe they were pushed back to Multiverse of Madness when they decided to cut Dr Strange's role from it?

Looks good. 

Spoiler

Although I'm not how sure going with characters like Superior Iron Man (looks like he's in it) will land with the mainstream audience. Starting to feel they're pushing too much and getting too unusual for non-comic book fans to go with long term. 

10 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Reveal hidden contents

Professor X!

Spoiler

Looks like the leaks regards the variant illuminati are true! I wonder if that means Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man with 3 infinity stones rather than the arc reactor on his chest, and Ioan Grufford back as variant Reed Richards are true!

Â