New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

If it's a choice between Terry and Smith and you go with Terry you need your head looking at. Can't believe the amount of people letting their judgement get clouded by the " he was a great player " thing. He was. And ?

Lol where have said that ?

All I have said is JT looks more likley to happen in this moment in time.

20 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Any reason why skybet have just suspended betting on Dean Smith?

Because it's skybet. They will unsuspend it in a bit then hope that everyone jumps on it because it's bollocks.

Smith is 14/1 for the job.

22 minutes ago, KH** said:

It’s like OGS all over again 

I just came to post exactly that. My initial reaction to OGS was sceptical, then I came round to the idea, then really wanted it to happen, then was disappointed when it didn't. It was probably for the best that it didn't, so I hope I'll feel the same if when the Henry rumour falls through. 

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

I thought Terry doesn't have the necessary qualifications?

I don't really see that as obstacle - its only a 4 week course - some of it practical observations - pretty sure JT could take the job and promise to get the quals in due course.

Terry assisting Henry never made any sense in my head....surely Terry sees himself on equal footing with Henry? ie. both looking to make the move into management. Why would Terry play 2nd fiddle to Henry? makes no sense at all. If they were ex-team mates or great pals away from the game then you could possibly find some logic....but they weren't.

Of the 'no experience' candidates, Rui Faria would be my choice.....he could be a superb appointment given what people say about his coaching etc.

Of the experienced managers then I hope we are considering Rodgers, obviously Dean Smith deserves a shout but if we're going down the European route, Sanchez Flores would be my pick from those that are currently freely available.

The fact we have no coaches means whoever is coming in needs to assemble a whole backroom....this could be taking the time.

5 minutes ago, Razor said:

Looking like it will be Terry as manager then....

Faria with JT as his assistant I would say is more likely .

Both spent years together at Chelsea so would hopefully work well

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

I'm hoping we hire none of the individuals mentioned so far. I don't think any of them show the slightest bit of imagination or strategy.

I'm sure others have/had a much wider knowledge of European football but I'd never heard of Nuno (Wolves) before he arrived here, I'm hoping we go the same route and something entirely left-field.

I think it's about time VT played Sky at their own game, creating a rumour based on an expertly photoshopped picture of a man next to a wet floor sign, holding a baguette in a Birmingham cafe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

And he was the last "experiment" of a manager with little experience. Henry has even LESS than he did. 

Henry was ever so slightly a better player too.  In fact Sherwood is positively Sunday League in comparison. 

Let's face it for every possible option we can all find 5 examples of how that hasn't worked.  Every manager is a gamble.  Smith and Wilder haven't managed in the Premier League.  Rodgers is arguably on his way down (although he might see us as a chance to reignite his career).  Henry is a complete newcomer.  I think any of those 4 would be pretty good. 

I honestly don't believe that the first two have any chance of being offered the job (if you are the third richest owners in British football trying to make waves then they are a bit "meh" - although I think they'd do a job).  Rodgers has the experience.  Henry has the magic.  They are both a world away from our previous x appointments.  If it really is a choice between those two then you know what - I am pretty happy.  Either may be brilliant.  Either may fail.  But both show me something different and a desire to really make a mark.

Love this time of flux, where even the smallest piece of rumour becomes cold hard fact.

The reality is there is no difference to yesterday.

No one really knows anything because we have owners who dont want information getting out.

• Like 3

I seems the media and bookies are banking on it been an henry/Terry combo or both on their own. After that with the gap in odds between Terry and the rest it could genuinely be one of Rodgers, Faria, Smith . Nobody seems to really have anything concrete.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Love this time of flux, where even the smallest piece of rumour becomes cold hard fact.

The reality is there is no difference to yesterday.

No one really knows anything because we have owners who dont want information getting out.

Except these reports are coming from the Henry camp. 

I know what you're saying about the owners not wanting stuff to get out and I agree, but let's not sit here with blinkers on. If a few places are reporting that Henry doesn't know if he wants it and might not take it, that's probably come from the Henry camp, not the owners. 

Usual press caveats, but this whole thing is a press report, right? I mean, it was the press who reported Henry and Terry in the first place. To believe that when it's positive and not believe it when it's negative is a bit naive.