Pre Match

TheAuthority

Now the absolute waste of time that international football is over, we can get back to the real stuff.

So, is this a must win or are we now content with stumbling into the playoffs? Play young kids or stick with the oldies.

Hull is Brucey's old club so he may well have some insight and have the skinny on how to beat them.

In answer to your question on the playoffs and your note on international football, in both cases it's not quite over yet.

I think we need to get back to winning games in order to take better form into the play offs; if anyone else slips up then good, but we could do with getting back into some sort of form asap.

• Like 3

Really for the first time this season this is a must win for the Villa if they are going to have any chance of securing that automatic second place spot. There can be no excuses for either Bruce or the players after the international break. 

• Haha 1

Of course they go for it, and continue to do so.

Imagine if Brucie played the kids, got beat and then Fulham of Cardiff lose - he'd be rightly crucified for failing to take advantage of their slip up.

Continue to field best team with best players until we mathematically cannot go up automatically. Only then can he "rest" the oldies

• Like 2

Johnstone

Elmo  Chester  Terry  Hutton

Whelan

Snodgrass Grealish Hourihane Adomah

Hogan

Whelan back in as he will help us to break up the play. Bjarnasson was poor against Bolton, although I don't think it was the game for him. Jedinak will be knackered after playing in some more pointless friendlies.

I would be half tempted to throw Davis in after his two goals in the last week. But I think Grealish works well with players who can make runs off the ball, Grabban hasn't worked for the last two games so give Scotty another go.

We really should have too much for Hull and this could start us on another run on wins. There is 100% no point in throwing a load of kids out there at this stage of the season, it would be ridiculous and I find it strange that people would even consider that after the season we have had.

It's my birthday on the 31st and what I want from Santa (wait, what?) is a Villa win.

Rob @Robtaylor200 and Mark @TheStagMan you are both invited to the BBQ, however you are required to make your own way down to Melbourne, don't worry I've got you covered for food.

I expect to see you both there at 3pm AEDT.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 2

Jedi being knackered might force Brue to play Thor in front of the back four, it's looked his best position and we've played our best football with him in there too. Desperately need 3 points tomorrow. Hopefully combined with Cardiff and Fulham and Wolves all getting turned over 10-0 :P

Millwall into top 6 doesn't bode well for our game against them, especially if we need 3 points from it!

All fit according to Bruce, although Whelan most likely not included tomorrow as will train all weekend and might be involved Tuesday.

'All fit' includes a certain Jonathan Kodija, whom Bruce says played 45 mins in a behind closed doors friendly this week and has trained since with no problems. Bruce says he will be involved this weekend...this is huge news!

It's like we are signing a new player for the run in, a player that will hopefully want to finish the season on a high. I wouldn't want to be picking a starting lineup with everyone fit. We have a seriously strong squad in my opinion.

Possibly....

Johnson

Elmo         Terry     Chester       Taylor or Hutton

Bjarnasson or Jedi

Snodgrass             Grealish              Adomah

Grabban

Kodija

Bench from : Bjarnasson or Jedi, Hutton or Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Hogan, Davis, Green, Whelan, O'Hare, Hepburn-Murphy

Wow...if only we had avoided the long term injuries!

Wouldn’t have Kodjia starting. Bring him on for the last twenty over the next two or three games to build his fitness up then start him.

Bruce brought him back too early last time so hopefully the manager will have learnt from that?

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

I'm also not for Kodjia starting - he doesn't play well in a team effort, he's great on his own, but we've developed a group that bring us danger from lots of areas - for my money, he makes Adomah, Snodgrass and Grealish less effective. Coming off the bench however, he's a brilliant weapon, creating chaos among tired defenders and taking the attacking load onto his shoulders with twenty minutes left he'd be a really valuable weapon.

I'd start with Grabban. 

We've got great depth up front with Kodjia, Grabban, Hogan, Davis and Hepburn-Murphy - especially since in an emergency we could also call on Gabby or McCormack.

• Like 1

We absolutely need to get back to doing what we were doing well against Wolves. Hunting down the opposition when we don’t have the ball and press high and playing with a positive and fast tempo. In our past two games we have looked a total shadow of ourselves. Time for Bruce to fire them up for this very important game at the start of a very tough period of games. 

38 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Kodjia is not very good anyway.

I think he's rather good.

Scores all types of goals and lots of them. 

Gets bums off seats and loves playing for us.

Not very good is a poor conclusion IMO.

• Like 1