Holland v England/England v Italy

andykeenan

It's football fans in general, really.

I love the game, but **** me, a lot of fans are rocket polishers.

How much money must we spend every year getting the police to surround football stadiums in case of crowd trouble. Never seems to happen at any other sport, does it. Football has a massive crossover with the 'lad' demographic, where lad is a synonym for word removed.

If they try this shit in Russia  they'll be coming home in body bags.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

How much money must we spend every year getting the police to surround football stadiums in case of crowd trouble. Never seems to happen at any other sport, does it. Football has a massive crossover with the 'lad' demographic, where lad is a synonym for word removed.

Don't the clubs have to pay for this? Certainly I think for league games 

Not sure about iInternationals. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What im saying is that there isnt really that much difference between our fans and other countries (booing anthem aside) but the reporting of it and the tarnishing of our fans is different

I disagree, I think there’s a massive difference - and I think the massive difference is mainly because we have a drinking culture in this country that revolves around getting smashed. 

It doesn’t just stay with football, by the way, it’s  the same with the whole “Brits abroad” thing just generally. 

• Like 1

Thats not what i saw and experienced at the euros in france, every country had a massive tear up, albania fans in lyon were mental tearing round the streets hanging out of cars beeping the horns, they also had a compelte disregard for their seats inside the stadium and went wherever they wanted, albania romania both had warnings for pyrotechnics croatia fans delayed their game throwing flares on the pitch, romania fans had massive scraps amongst themselves everywhere 

Its us that makes headlines, all fans have a massive pisshead following 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I disagree, I think there’s a massive difference - and I think the massive difference is mainly because we have a drinking culture in this country that revolves around getting smashed. 

It doesn’t just stay with football, by the way, it’s  the same with the whole “Brits abroad” thing just generally. 

There are large drinking cultures in Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, South American countries and loads of other countries. 

I agree we have a problem. I agree that football fans are mostly arseholes.  But travel anywhere and you'll see loads of people from loads of countries with a similar problem to us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

There are large drinking cultures in Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, South American countries and loads of other countries. 

I agree we have a problem. I agree that football fans are mostly arseholes.  But travel anywhere and you'll see loads of people from loads of countries with a similar problem to us.

British police seem to know how to handle British fans pretty well. Keep them away from rival fans, keep the beer flowing, let them have a sing song and it’ll probably all be fine.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why does it just happen international games? english clubs travel regularly abroad and lot less trouble

England attracts a lot of lower league fans, you see that when the camera pans round the flags on display before the game.

That dosen't mean I'm tarnishing supporters from the bottom leagues as mindless hooligans btw but for some it's like a big day out as they obviously don't go abroad following their own teams like many in the premier league so some will get over excited.

Problem is nowhere near as bad as the 90s. It's also been helped by the major tournaments generally taking place a long way from England which deters the usual travelmaker. No surprise to me these pocket incidents break out when England play a friendly away to another country only an hour or two away.

One problem I do find is England fans like to mark their terrority e.g. pretty much take over town squares. Only takes a few locals to take exception to chanting and other behaviour and then you have issues.

Euro 2000 was the worst for behaviour, England were very close to being kicked out of that tournament.

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A large amount of them are moronic louts, if they're not causing genuine trouble they're behaving like a load of dickheads bringing down the tone of whatever area they happen to infect.

I agree. But you specified "most" England fans and that's what I took issue with. It's just categorically, demonstrably not true.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Anecdotal evidence here, but my experience of life in Germany showed there was a big drinking culture, but one that was about more about fun and less about fighting.

I lived in Nuremberg for 6 years, and although it's not really a "dangerous" city it's got a similar population to Manchester.  I was out all weekend most weekends, back when I was footloose and fancy free, and I only saw a punch up once.  That was when a group of guys did a runner from a restaurant and the waiter managed to catch one of them.  That was it.  Even at the beer festivals etc, there was just never any trouble.

Compare that with a typical night out in most British cities, towns or some villages and you're more or less guaranteed to see trouble.

There's something about a lot of British people that turns them into monumental choppers when they've had a few scoops.

• Like 4

I saw fighting in the bundesliga game i went to in frankfurt (vs stuttgart) after a 94th minute winner but yeah i agree with what youre saying its a completely different atmosphere in bars etc one of the best things about oktoberfest for me was the feeling that you simply cant replicate it in england, you can call it the same you can serve the same beer and play the same music but we dont drink the same, hard to explain what it actually is partly just basic friendliness to complete strangers

Would say when we played hamburg the policing was some of the best ive ever seen, they were great with a large number of villa fans all very drunk and ajax had smashed the place up the week before...the french police when we played nantes on the other hand were an absolute disgrace, utterly clueless

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Just saw the video mentioned a page or 2 back with the English fans covering tourists on a boat trip with beer and who knows what, and finding it hilarious.

I can picture the scenes in Russia already, a topless and bloodied England fan lying on the ground looking disorientated and dazed asking why “they” keep picking on England fans...

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Just saw the video mentioned a page or 2 back with the English fans covering tourists on a boat trip with beer and who knows what, and finding it hilarious.

I can picture the scenes in Russia already, a topless and bloodied England fan lying on the ground looking disorientated and dazed asking why “they” keep picking on England fans...

Just bants mate, lads being lads ennit

On 3/24/2018 at 16:43, lapal_fan said:

No - it's massively different.

Germany is a great example - huge football culture and huge beer culture but just not the same cultural behaviour at all.  You can go to Oktoberfest wearing football shirts and there's just no issue.  Imagine the absolute state of holding an annual alcohol celebration in England where people wear football shirts - it would go tits up after about an hour.  Nights out in Germany are relaxed and fun.  Drinking on the street is allowed and enhances the atmosphere.  There's just nowhere near the same levels of intimidation.  Again, in England, drinking on the street would lead to problems and bumping into someone's arm on a night out is a spark for a fight.

From travelling in South America, again, just nowhere near the same attitude to alcohol.  People are out later and they eat later, but there's an appreciation of food and drink and, then, they go partying.  Overall crime is much scarier and violent, but not because people are pissed up.  Travelling generally with different nationalities, you can pretty much identify the Brits from their actions - they're the ones chanting when drunk, pissing on the street, dropping their litter everywhere and showing general disregard for the locals.

It isn't everyone, of course it isn't, but the stereotyping is complete correct.  Other countries really aren't the same (perhaps Russia/Ukraine/Poland, I have no idea about them).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Lingard really has a punchable face 

Him or Dele Alli - not sure who i'd want to hit first 

• Like 2

Â