Holland v England/England v Italy

andykeenan

Southgate is trying to play some football and fair play too him for that. I think we lack an attacking edge though (similar to villa at times). If teams sit back against us like Iceland did, then I struggle to see where goals will come. I also think against a good side the back three will be torn apart. The likes of Germany Brazil and Spain playing their full strength sides will open up so much space. Italy had chances last night and they aren’t even that good 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Southgate is trying to play some football and fair play too him for that. I think we lack an attacking edge though (similar to fills at times). If teams sit back against us like Iceland did, then I struggle to see where goals will come. I also think against a good side the back three will be torn apart. The likes of Germany Brazil and Spain playing their full strength sides will open up so much space. Italy had chances last night and they aren’t even that good 

Yup I agree. If Italy would have been a bit more ruthless then it could've been a different story.  Not sure Dier is the best choice for DM but not sure who else can fit in there?

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I also think against a good side the back three will be torn apart. The likes of Germany Brazil and Spain playing their full strength sides will open up so much space. Italy had chances last night and they aren’t even that good 

It's a shame Cahill is having such a poor season. I would be feel much more secure with an in form Gary Cahill in the middle of that back 3 over John Stones.

I did rather enjoy that. England are a threat and fun to watch. Its a shame Russia's twattishness will probably ruin this world cup because we have a decent team here and Southgate is doing the best he knows how.

I still reckon we are going to lose badly against the first good team we come up against but we should have some good games against the rest.

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yup I agree. If Italy would have been a bit more ruthless then it could've been a different story.  Not sure Dier is the best choice for DM but not sure who else can fit in there?

Agreed on Dier, think Henderson will get nod even though that doesn’t really fill me with confidence 

I'm really starting to warm to Southgate. We were actually genuinely quite good in that one. Didn't deserve to concede - and I think that penalty was a bit of a joke, barely any referee in the world would have given that - but we actually have a plan and his idea with Walker is smart. He's getting the best out of a pretty average bunch. 

Â