Holland v England/England v Italy

andykeenan

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Can't see what Grealish has done to deserve a call up to be honest, he's not at that level yet. Sessegnon maybe deserves a chance based on his output this season from wing back but still very early days for him.

He's done enough to be called up ahead of some of the crap that made it like Jake Livermore.

Skill-wise, you think he doesn't warrant a place in that squad?

Just now, Keyblade said:

He's done enough to be called up ahead of some of the crap that made it like Jake Livermore.

Skill-wise, you think he doesn't warrant a place in that squad?

It's not about skill it's about what he does. He hasn't done enough, even at this level, to warrant a place, for an attacking player his assists and goals aren't great and there are clearly players out there in his position doing more in terms of output at a higher level. Also, whilst Livermore is indeed garbage, he plays in a totally different role to Grealish, so you can't make that comparison. 

I like Grealish a lot but he has a long way to go before he should be in the England team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's not about skill it's about what he does. He hasn't done enough, even at this level, to warrant a place, for an attacking player his assists and goals aren't great and there are clearly players out there in his position doing more in terms of output at a higher level. Also, whilst Livermore is indeed garbage, he plays in a totally different role to Grealish, so you can't make that comparison. 

I like Grealish a lot but he has a long way to go before he should be in the England team.

He's the focal point of a team pushing for automatic promotion. Put any of those other players in that situation, do you think they'd be the same?

I'm glad that he's being overlooked for superficial reasons such as goal/assist stats though. Don't want him picking up an injury or getting tapped up.

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's the focal point of a team pushing for automatic promotion. Put any of those other players in that situation, do you think they'd be the same?

I'm glad that he's being overlooked for superficial reasons such as goal/assist stats though. Don't want him picking up an injury or getting tapped up.

Nah, sorry, not making a good enough case I'm afraid. As I said, there's players in his position delivering more at a higher standard, it's a no brainer as to why he's not involved. 

54 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Nah, sorry, not making a good enough case I'm afraid. As I said, there's players in his position delivering more at a higher standard, it's a no brainer as to why he's not involved. 

Delivering or output or whatever is a meaningless metric unless they're putting up numbers that can't be ignored.

You pick the best players available to you, and in the best form. Is Jack better than some of those players, and in better form? The answer is simply yes. 

Don't think I've ever cared less about two England games and a World Cup as I do right now.   The current England squad is nowhere near good enough to do anything significant at a major tournament, but also where's the flare?  Who's the player that can get you out of your seat?   Gazza at Italia 90, Owen at France 98 - we just don't have that exciting and unknown talent in the squad.  Boring England. 

I think it's a case of looking at as much as possible, that's what ze Germans seem to do, they use a much bigger pool, there's a case to be made that England don't get together that often so he needs to keep calling up the same names but after 30+ caps he knows what lallana is about, he knows what Danny welbecks about, he doesn't need to be looking at them

we're picking players that we know aren't good enough at international level, we'll give them 50 caps, we've done it for as long as I can remember 

I don't see how picking an unknown quantity is worse personally

• Like 2

All the rest I can understand, probably even agree with, but Hart and Livermore are inexplicable. Hart doesn't look like he's just 'lost form' - when you watch him, it's impossible to remember he was ever good. He'd be embarrassing himself in our division. Livermore, I mean where do you start with that?

To be honest, I think the friendly against Holland especially might be quite informative. They're quite like us, really - an old power fading into obscurity, still trading on an increasingly tarnished old brand. The difference is we were still more than good enough to qualify. If we set up against them camped on the edge of our penalty area then I'll be paying little attention this summer. 

I don’t dislike Joe Hart, I think he always comes across well in interviews and I don’t like seeing a player continually on the decline like he has been.

I think he will go with the World Cup squad. He clearly shouldn’t be the first choice, but I can see an argument to say someone like Pickford might benefit with him being there, having played in major tournaments previously.

His stats are borderline awful. He has conceded 33 goals out of 72 shots and has played only 15 times. He wasnt much better at Torino and he has no left hand which for a goalkeeper is pathetic.

I dont think Hart would make a top half Championship team these days

I quite like Joe Hart. I have a soft spot for Shrewsbury Town so I'm always interested when a player from there makes it. However, there is no way he should be within 500 miles of the England squad anymore.

There was a statistical appraisal of Premier League goalkeepers for current season and he was last on the list at 26th.

Â