Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

58 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Ouch. Christie disqualified again (having done impressively well in the heat even though she was obviously struggling and in pain).

Statistically she must rank as one of the worst athletes in Olympic history 

Speed skating has to rank amongst one of the worst events of all time. It all boils down to whoever cheats the least wins. There is little skill and the ‘tactics’ mainly involve shady cheating while trying to fool the referees. A corrupt mess. Disgraceful discipline. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Speed skating has to rank amongst one of the worst events of all time. It all boils down to whoever cheats the least wins. There is little skill and the ‘tactics’ mainly involve shady cheating while trying to fool the referees. A corrupt mess. Disgraceful discipline. 

It's basically Roller Ball on ice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

It would be much better if it was - no rules, weapons allowed, anything goes. 

With the blades being used as tripping devices it is pretty much already that anyway.

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Why all the hate for one of your athletes?

This. I couldn't care less about the Winter Olympics to be honest but to laugh at someone who's dedicating years of her life to achieving something when she fails is pretty poor form to be honest.

I don't get the need some people have to laugh at sports people when they don't quite achieve their goals particularly when its someone who as far as I'm aware hasn't done anything to warrant it.

So in the Curling a play off for the men against Switzerland tonight at midnight. The winner of which goes on to play Sweden in the Semi-Finals are tomorrow morning at 11am.

The women already qualified and their Semi-Final is also against Sweden 11am on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43128033

On the subject of 'hate' - There were some Korean skaters that haven't been too popular...

Winter Olympics: Petition calls for ban for South Korean speed skater 'bullies'

More than 350,000 people have signed a petition calling for two South Korean speed skaters to be banned after they were accused of "bullying" a team-mate live on national television.

South Korea finished seventh in the 500m team pursuit heats on Monday, failing to qualify for the semi-finals.

Kim Bo-reum blamed team-mate Noh Seon-yeong for their poor performance.

"We were skating well," said Kim. "But the last skater [Noh] couldn't keep up and we had a disappointing score."

Fellow skater Park Ji-woo added: "I was very shocked when I crossed the finish line, because that's when I realised Noh was not with us."

Rankings in team pursuit events are decided on the time the third skater in each team crosses the finish line, but Noh was left behind by her team-mates and finished almost four seconds adrift.

Television footage showed Noh bursting into tears after the race, but Kim and Park appeared to ignore her.

The petition, posted on the official website of South Korea's presidential office, read: "It is a clear national disgrace that such people with a personality problem are representing a country in the Olympics."

"We are petitioning that Kim Bo-reum and Park Ji-woo forfeit their rights as national athletes and be banned from international competitions including the Olympics."

Kim has since apologised for her comments, saying: "I did an interview the previous day, and I apologise for hurting the feelings of many people."

"It is my fault that I failed to keep track of team-mates behind me."

However Kim's sponsor, sportswear manufacturer NEPA, will reportedly not be renewing her contract when it expires at the end of the month.

Edited by VILLAMARV

Big problem for Norway as the golden shoes they hand out to their gold winners to wear on the podium for the medal ceremony has run out after already having won 13 gold medals.

Â