Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

It's hardly hate. We reserve that for moments like Beckham in the World Cup against Simeone n that ;)

It made me laugh when she fell over in the first race, because it's getting silly now. Never nice seeing someone get injured in any sport though and that's a shame.

The way the BBC does things doesn't help much. Endless montages, Clare Balding fawning, Going from medal chance to medal chance, banging on about Lottery funding and doing post race interviews designed to coax a few more tears out of her for some more click-bait articles and endless replays. Replaying the 'tears from Sochi' in the lead up to it all. If you're not watching via the BBC filter it might seem a bit weird I suppose.

• Like 3

Ok maybe hate is not the right word but there is definitely a whiff of schadenfreude in this thread. As an Australian I understand 'tall poppy syndrome' very well :) But we normally leave our winter Olympians alone. We're usually pretty pleased that we managed to have a squad there at all. I was wondering if there must have been some sort of scandal with her or maybe she had been mouthing off in the lead up to the games but it sounds like it is just the media building her up with expectations she couldn't deliver on.  

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Ok maybe hate is not the right word but there is definitely a whiff of schadenfreude in this thread. As an Australian I understand 'tall poppy syndrome' very well :) But we normally leave our winter Olympians alone. We're usually pretty pleased that we managed to have a squad there at all. I was wondering if there must have been some sort of scandal with her or maybe she had been mouthing off in the lead up to the games but it sounds like it is just the media building her up with expectations she couldn't deliver on.  

Like I said, it's what the British (especially the English) do. Take someone like Tim Henman - OK, he never won a major, but for years he was one of the top four or five tennis players IN THE WORLD. And what did he get? "He's shit", "He's a loser", etc., etc. Usually said by armchair 'experts' who can barely break into a trot. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

To be fair, I was just commenting on the unfortunately familiar story of big build up, huge optimism, disqualification and then crying afterwards (understandable obviously but a bit wearing on the fourth occasion) and that led to me taking the piss by commenting on an imaginary training regime.

I was watching her races not to see her fail but hoping that she won and I'll be doing the same next time around.

While we're having this little chat Clare Balding just said on my telly "We know physically she's hurting but how is she psychologically? - we'll have the full interview"

Mrs VM just said how weird it is that the TV is just having a 10 minute chat about what she's going to do now and what 3 people in another country feel she'll be feeling right now etc.

It's awful telly.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else noticed how stuff is a bit hard to find on the BBC platform? Ive written a couple of posts whingeing about the BBC coverage that I never posted in the end but I was just reading a few articles about why. Didn't realise they had lost the Olympic rights after 2020 and will be sub-letting the rights from Eurosport. Apparently part of the deal with them was to give up some rights for 2018 and 2020.

Last year the BBC lost control of the future destiny of Games coverage after Discovery won the pan-European rights from 2018 onwards, and 2022 in the UK, in a £920m deal.

But, despite wider pressure on the BBC’s budgets, it has now agreed a deal that will ensure it has live coverage of the Olympics until at least 2024 and continue an association that began with radio coverage of the 1928 Games.

In return, the BBC has agreed to grant Discovery exclusive pay TV rights to the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang and the 2020 Games in Tokyo.

So while the BBC will have less extensive coverage than was the case at London 2012 it will still be able to fill up to two channels a day with live coverage and highlights – meaning it will show all the key moments, but will have less depth than previously.

Meanwhile, Discovery will market itself as the only place to watch every last moment across an array of live and on demand services. The new model will kick in from the 2018 Games onwards. The BBC is believed to have paid around £110m for the rights to 2022 and 2024, as well as handing over the pay TV rights to 2018 and 2020. Both they and the Discovery Channel refused to comment over the actual sum paid.

Under current legislation at least 200 hours of the summer Games and 100 hours of the winter Olympics are obliged to be shown on free-to-air TV. Discovery looked into the possibility of showing the Games exclusively on its own free-to-air channel before entering negotiations with the BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/02/olympics-bbc-discovery-deal

Shame, because things like Wimbledon and the Olympics have been transformed by free to air multi platform options (watch any court/watch any sport) in a great way. This sounds to me like the olympics will be going back to some sort of partial coverage.

Presumably that's why the coverage of the ice hockey on the BBC has been patchy at best and the only links on iplayer or the sport website are 2min highlights reels.

The IOC should be careful imo. I love the olympics. Winter probably more than the summer games, but neither to the point where I care enough to pay for it. Cricket is beginning to realise it's mistake in this regard. A highlights package doesn't include the soap opera and half the story is no story at all. Case in point, I live in Wales. Rugby is king over here. Since the England home games are only available somewhere else I just cant be bothered to follow it at all. The only reason it ever registered with me was because my friends seemed to care and it was a shared experience. F1 is another example. Free on BBC2 every other Sunday? watched every race for decades. Half on one channel half on another? havent watched a race since then. Apparently that Hamilton chap has done ok, shame he'll always be a name on a list as opposed to a character I'd invested time in following like Senna or Prost or Mansell or Pique or Schumacher. You'll always have an interested minority you might be able to fleece for a few quid and I suppose that's all that matters now. Who is going to take up archery or diving or snowboard cross or be inspired as kids if they have to have parents interested enough and rich enough to be able to watch it in the first place. Most of the olympics are so minority (think synchronised swimming) that the olympics are their only real showcase. Why do I envisage a future where the Syncronised swimming is live on BBC1 while the 100m final airs on PPV though? These things have never ended well for the consumer.

Edited by VILLAMARV
wordwang
  • Like 3

No Curling medals for Canada then! well done to the Swiss men. Great shot to knock us out in the playoff to be fair to them. Sweden v USA is on from about 6:30am tomorrow.

hopefully we'll be watching the girls in the final at midnight (Sat/Sun) rather than the bronze medal match tomorrow at  11am.

As we are all such aficionados now we better 'pick up 2' in the next couple of ends though eh boys and girls :ph34r:

Not been the best start so far.

Also on the point of the TV rights earlier on - the Korean Curlers or 'Garlic Girls' one of the stories of the games and yet the only coverage we've seen is the game against GB. Shame really.

I also like how the BBC showed this tweet on their website and I'm not sure they've noticed it's from someone called @ssdr1ver. lol.

Edited by VILLAMARV

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Also on the point of the TV rights point earlier on - the Korean Curlers or 'Garlic Girls' one of the stories of the games and yet the only coverage we've seen is the game against GB. Shame really.

Can't stand the Kardashians :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This Hasselborg of Sweden is growing on me.. little cutie in her own way.. not as nice as Miss Sloan though.  B)

I'm not really sold on her raccoon make-up around the eyes :D

Â