Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

And with the closing ceremony coming up in a few hours Anna Haag is still racing against the clock to finish her 30k race in time to make it...

Edited by sne

And the Soviet Union, sorry CIS, sorry, Russia, sorry OAR winning the Ice Hockey gold.

So very nearly a fairy tale gold for Germany.

Shame we didn't get to listen to the wonderful Russian national anthem, after all it's the official soundtrack of hockey.

• Like 1

And with the Olympics now over I'm guessing a lot of you will be suffering from withdrawal.

But fear not, next Sunday it's the Vasaloppet in Sweden where 17.000 skiers will compete in the 90k race between Sälen and Mora.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sne said:

And the Soviet Union, sorry CIS, sorry, Russia, sorry OAR winning the Ice Hockey gold.

So very nearly a fairy tale gold for Germany.

Shame we didn't get to listen to the wonderful Russian national anthem, after all it's the official soundtrack of hockey.

Great shame that we had finnish equivalent of Tactics-Tim as our head coach, Marjamäki has been utter disaster, if we'd had the coach who's taking over we probably would've been in the final. Under Jalonen, who is taking over after this season,  we won our last world championship, and he actually knows how to play proper hockey. There was talk last spring that many of our NHL players refused to come to play in world championships last year because Marjamäki is in charge, which wouldn't surprise me. We're gonna have such a great team in the next olympics if NHL takes part: Laine, Barkov, Rask, Ristolainen, Määttä, Aho, Teräväinen, Rantanen etc, this is probably our greatest generation since the 90s golden generation, maybe even better.

When it comes to the other winter sports, finnish sports desperately needs MUCH more money, we're lagging so far behind norwegians, swedes and central europe. The difference between finnish and swedish biathlon is ridiculous, only Mäkärinen is really only one in top 10, and she's already aging, and Laukkanen has not fulfilled her potential. We have upcoming Tero Seppälä who is very promising, but we need a lot more resources.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

Great shame that we had finnish equivalent of Tactics-Tim as our head coach, Marjamäki has been utter disaster, if we'd had the coach who's taking over we probably would've been in the final. Under Jalonen, who is taking over after this season,  we won our last world championship, and he actually knows how to play proper hockey. There was talk last spring that many of our NHL players refused to come to play in world championships last year because Marjamäki is in charge, which wouldn't surprise me. We're gonna have such a great team in the next olympics if NHL takes part: Laine, Barkov, Rask, Ristolainen, Määttä, Aho, Teräväinen, Rantanen etc, this is probably our greatest generation since the 90s golden generation, maybe even better.

When it comes to the other winter sports, finnish sports desperately needs MUCH more money, we're lagging so far behind norwegians, swedes and central europe. The difference between finnish and swedish biathlon is ridiculous, only Mäkärinen is really only one in top 10, and she's already aging, and Laukkanen has not fulfilled her potential. We have upcoming Tero Seppälä who is very promising, but we need a lot more resources.

Have to ask, what's happened to your ski-jumping.

I'm grew up used to seeing at least 4 Finns in the top-5 at any given competition. A bit like it used to be with javelin.

Also, once again I apologize for Hasse Backe.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Have to ask, what's happened to your ski-jumping.

I'm grew up used to seeing at least 4 Finns in the top-5 at any given competition. A bit like it used to be with javelin.

Also, once again I apologize for Hasse Backe.

Afaik after Lahti 2001 debacle the money dried up in ski jumping too, and it haven't recovered. Very sad state of affairs, as we have LONG traditions in ski jumping, it is disgrace. At least cross-country has recovered, thank god.

Edited by Jarpie

1 minute ago, Jarpie said:

Afaik after Lahti 2001 debacle the money dried up in ski jumping too, and it haven't recovered. Very sad state of affairs, as we have LONG traditions in ski jumping, it is disgrace. At least cross-country has recovered, thank god.

I suspected that was the reason the money dried up.

Most potential sponsors will not wan't to be associated with that kind of press.

On the hockey side I can tell you the Swedish coach Grönborg is rightly getting a lot of stick for not playing super talent Rasmus Dahlin more than the odd minutes he got.

Will be drafted #1 this year and hardly didn't even get a look in. What a waste.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

I suspected that was the reason the money dried up.

Most potential sponsors will not wan't to be associated with that kind of press.

On the hockey side I can tell you the Swedish coach Grönborg is rightly getting a lot of stick for not playing super talent Rasmus Dahlin more than the odd minutes he got.

Will be drafted #1 this year and hardly didn't even get a look in. What a waste.

Our hockey was in shambles in late 2000s, and our hockey association rightly saw the problem: no skillful players, so they retooled our youth training. Now we are seeing the results. In our hockey we still have one big problem though, too consertive tactics in international games, especially against Canada and USA. Germany had the right idea, play hard and aggressive.

• Like 1

Rank NOC Gold Medal Silver Medal Bronze Medal Total
1 NOR.png Norway 14 14 11 39
2 GER.png Germany 14 10 7 31
3 CAN.png Canada 11 8 10 29
4 USA.png United States 9 8 6 23
5 NED.png Netherlands 8 6 6 20
6 SWE.png Sweden 7 6 1 14
7 KOR.png Republic of Korea 5 8 4 17
8 SUI.png Switzerland 5 6 4 15
9 FRA.png France 5 4 6 15
10 AUT.png Austria 5 3 6 14

19 GBR.png Great Britain 1 0 4 5

Final tally.

Norway becoming the most successful nation in winter olympic history.

Sweden having their best ever championship.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jarpie said:

Just tell them to move to the UK or find some long lost british relative if they want money. £30 million to get 1 gold & 4 bronze medals, 1 of which was won by an american.

How is it even possible to put £6 million into people playing curling...

As predicted with the games now over and the athletes returning home the complaints about the games from them are starting.

One of the first out is the biggest name in the alpine skiing world Marcel Hirschel (2 golds this time) who has slammed the living conditions in the Olympic village and most of all the almost empty stadiums during the events.

I get the financial reasons for putting the Olympics in a sponsor rich place like South Korea, and with 26 million people in a 100 km radius of Pyeongchang there should on paper be enough to fill the stadiums.

But people from the traditional winter Olympic countries won't travel en masse this far, and apparently they failed to sell the happening to the locals.

There are only so many people you can fit in a Short Track skating stadium.

Was a bit bizarre watching all these events in almost empty stadiums when you compare it to let's say Lillehammer.

Just put the Winter Olympics in Norway every time :D

1 hour ago, sne said:

As predicted with the games now over and the athletes returning home the complaints about the games from them are starting.

One of the first out is the biggest name in the alpine skiing world Marcel Hirschel (2 golds this time) who has slammed the living conditions in the Olympic village and most of all the almost empty stadiums during the events.

I get the financial reasons for putting the Olympics in a sponsor rich place like South Korea, and with 26 million people in a 100 km radius of Pyeongchang there should on paper be enough to fill the stadiums.

But people from the traditional winter Olympic countries won't travel en masse this far, and apparently they failed to sell the happening to the locals.

There are only so many people you can fit in a Short Track skating stadium.

Was a bit bizarre watching all these events in almost empty stadiums when you compare it to let's say Lillehammer.

Just put the Winter Olympics in Norway every time :D

The olympic games have grown so huge that it'd be the same to divide them between countries, it'd be feasible especially in the europe, with France, Germany, Austria, Italy etc being reasonably close to the each other.

Been rewatching highlights and what not, my favourite moment after the obvious finnish wins gotta be Ester Ledecka's Super-G win, those kind of shocks are what makes the sports great. Her utter disbelief goes into teh feels.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sne said:

And with the Olympics now over I'm guessing a lot of you will be suffering from withdrawal.

But fear not, next Sunday it's the Vasaloppet in Sweden where 17.000 skiers will compete in the 90k race between Sälen and Mora.

My mate is doing this for the first time this year. He’s in good shape and a fairly good skier. He is also absolutely dreading it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â