Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

Sweden and Stina Nilsson just won the gold in the women's Cross Country Sprint :hooray:  Norway of course won the men's competition.

Honestly this is a competition form I really can't get into or take serious.

It's like having a sprint competition in cycling or a penalty shoot out world cup in football.

Utterly silly made for TV spectacle. 

But we won so YAY!

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

£32+ million quid UK sport have spent on Team GB in the previous 4 years so they can fall over, blame the wind and generally be shit & the BBC are spending another £100 million+ to cover it.

At least Eddie the Eagle knew he was shit and just wanted the chance to try, He did far more for UK sport than any of these clowns.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Sweden and Stina Nilsson just won the gold in the women's Cross Country Sprint :hooray:  Norway of course won the men's competition.

Honestly this is a competition form I really can't get into or take serious.

It's like having a sprint competition in cycling or a penalty shoot out world cup in football.

Utterly silly made for TV spectacle. 

But we won so YAY!

I disagree. The course is close to a mile long, and to win you have to do it four times at full speed. It’s an incrediably hard event to win, and it has revolutionised international cross country skiing (for the better) since its introduction. 

31 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I disagree. The course is close to a mile long, and to win you have to do it four times at full speed. It’s an incrediably hard event to win, and it has revolutionised international cross country skiing (for the better) since its introduction. 

Not for me, it's made it worse, just like the mass start at the 50 k with the ski change stations , and the ridiculous duathlon. 

The early days short City Sprints had something about them at least, this is just a pointless half arsed version IMO

Pretty much every event is just a long or short wait for the sprint finish in the stadium. 

I grew up watching the old style races and that's what I still enjoy. FIS can take their "Tour de Ski" and stuff it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Not for me, it's made it worse, just like the mass start at the 50 k with the ski change stations , and the ridiculous duathlon. 

The early days short City Sprints had something about them at least, this is just a pointless half arsed version IMO

Pretty much every event is just a long or short wait for the sprint finish in the stadium. 

I grew up watching the old style races and that's what I still enjoy. FIS can take their "Tour de Ski" and stuff it.

Pffft, you old fart you. Go watch  some Juha Mieto clips on youtube while the rest of us enjoy the future ;) 

• Haha 1

Just now, Michelsen said:

Pffft, you old fart you. Go watch  some Juha Mieto clips on youtube while the rest of us enjoy the future ;) 

Now there was a man with a proper beard. 2 meters tall as well.

Bildresultat för juha mieto

The 15k race between him and Wassberg at the 1980 Olympics at Lake Placid where Wassberg won with 1 hundred of a second after 42 minutes of skiing is Swedish sport history.

Wassberg offered to share the gold, but Mieto refused.

I was 4 at the time so can't say I remember it. But seen it loads of times after that :D

Empty seats my lord...

Swedish papers report that there was about 500 people present during the Cross country sprint finals today in the 7500 capacity stadium and around the track. Mostly Swedes, Norwegians and Finns.

3a86bc20-697d-4744-bf5a-ba49b62c2954?fit=crop&h=733&w=1100&s=7d176676ffd6f95b1ef951edfc860b407827d4be

Seoul is 120 kilometers away and there are 25,6 million people living in the area between those cities.

About 50 of those, if that, managed to get to the stadium for today's competition.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Empty seats my lord...

Swedish papers report that there was about 500 people present during the Cross country sprint finals today in the 7500 capacity stadium and around the track. Mostly Swedes, Norwegians and Finns.

It's almost as if none of the rest of the world give a **** eh? :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Is it wrong that my immediate reaction to hearing, the Scottish lass fell over again in the speed skating, was to laugh?

Pictures surface of her in training for the next two events:

492CFBD800000578-5388005-image-a-44_1518492B969700000578-5384869-image-m-2_15185

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Â