Winter Olympics PyeongChang 2018

sne

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How the hell do you need performance enhancing drugs for bloody curling?  :lol:

Exactly MJ, hardly the most strenuous of sports now. 

I'll need to find out what they test positive for, might help me get the kitchen floor mopped a bit quicker.  ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I learned yesterday that the first confirmed doping in the Olympics was a Swede in 1968. A Pentathlete had two pints to calm him down before the archery and got caught for Ethanol :lol:

edit: it was pistol shooting

Ah, the classic combination, alcohol and firearms.  :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'll need to find out what they test positive for, might help me get the kitchen floor mopped a bit quicker.  ;)

Meldonium, apparently. Same stuff as Sharapova.

Apparently this is the 3rd person who (might have) tested positive for an illegal substance in Curling.

The first was a Canadian who tested positive for Cocaine in 2006

Then a Danish woman who took a hormone to help her get pregnant as she had a problem with her ovaries.

And now this Russian guy who claims a fellow compatriot spikes his drink out of spite for not getting picked for the Olympics.

For once I almost think it could be true. The benefits for doping in Curling surely doesn't outweigh the risks?

Then again people are morons so who knows...

Edit: Curling by the way is surprisingly fun to play. Really recommend trying it if you get the chance. 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently this is the 3rd person who (might have) tested positive for an illegal substance in Curling.

Then a Danish woman who took a hormone to help her get pregnant as she had a problem with her ovaries.

And now this Russian guy who claims a fellow compatriot spikes his drink out of spite for not getting picked for the Olympics.

For once I almost think it could be true. The benefits for doping in Curling surely doesn't outweigh the risks?

Edit: Curling by the way is surprisingly fun to play. Really recommend trying it if you get the chance. 

A game of millimeters, Sweden lost by one point today, on the last stone

image.png.8cc6d1f8355397616fe037909fea137a.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sne said:

I read something earlier that seemed to suggest the stuff they've been caught using can have an effect against stress, helping the body cope physically with it and the effects of 'pressure'. So while obviously the stamina/recovery side of things isn't exactly a game changer for curling, something that gives your body an edge in dealing with the effects of stress might be useful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I read something earlier that seemed to suggest the stuff they've been caught using can have an effect against stress, helping the body cope physically with it and the effects of 'pressure'. So while obviously the stamina/recovery side of things isn't exactly a game changer for curling, something that gives your body an edge in dealing with the effects of stress might be useful.

Meldonium is a heart medicine that increases the blood flow mainly through the heart (but also other organs) so that your metabolism increases and you can train harder and recover faster from what I've read.

I'm no expert and it can certainly have other positive effects for all I know.

Still it does seem a bit odd.

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

ISTR some snooker players using beta blockers. Similar effect, I assume. 

On 17/02/2018 at 14:33, andym said:

Christie's been DQ'd in 4 of 5 of her last Olympic events. At what point do you start looking beyond bad luck?

Great result in the women's skeleton though, we've won the Gold 3 Olympics in a row now!

Exactly, she left herself too much to do in that race and was similar placed in the 500m when she crashed out. If she doesnt learn the lesson for tuesday it will be more of the same again.

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You have seen them sweeping havent you..........all joking aside it just proves that its endemic in the Russian Athletics system if even Curlers are doing it.

On 17/02/2018 at 14:33, andym said:

Christie's been DQ'd in 4 of 5 of her last Olympic events. At what point do you start looking beyond bad luck?

Yep I was saying this earlier. She’s obviousl talented at her sport and has won important races and world cups. But  the Olympics are so much bigger, and have viewers from the UK that wouldn’t normally care less. The extra pressure has got to her and she appears to be bottling them all.

Anyone see the women's half pipe?

Epic run by Hungarian/American/Venezuelan skier Elizabeth Swaney :D

Might not be too late for any Olympic career after all, just need to find the right sport and country...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â