"I Hate Their Guts"

NurembergVillan

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I appreciate the Smiths, used to listen to them back when they were going, even went to see them a few times, however its rare for me to play them these days, I'm all Smithed out I think

Morrissey is a complete and utter arsehole. He really upset a very good friend of mine when their friendship ended (all down to Moz)

Johnny Marr is a decent guitarist but he isn't as good as his reputation suggests

The other two, bah who cares, really they could have been any bang average musician

However, I think you do have to appreciate where they took the Alternative / Indie scene, they were huge and dragged up the profile of so many other bands just because they existed and thrived. 

One reason to dislike them from even back in the day... I always felt the Woodentops didn't get the credit they deserved because Rough Trade wasn't capable of having The Smiths and supporting some of their better prospects at the same time. I prefered the Woodentops if I'm honest, I still play them now and again but you can't really argue with the Smiths legacy either

I don't really think you can blame The Smiths for the relative lack of success of The Woodentops, even though I too liked the latter.  Every now and again a band just comes and along and defines the era, whether you like them or not.  The Smiths were *the* alternative band of the mid 1980s, a bit like you could argue Oasis were a decade later.  There may have been better bands around (there certainly were in the Britpop years) but still, certain bands just seemed to dominate proceedings.  I'm obviously rather biased where The Smiths are concerned, but to me they were just about the perfect band that I still listen to now on a regular basis. 

I don't hate anyone. I'm quite an easy going guy.

I used to hate thatcher, but she's dead and had a long drawn out decline that we got to watch. Which was funny. So that's had some closure.

Can't be bothered to dislike the Smiths or Morris. A moody teenage bedroom sulk of irrelevance in the house of pop.

30 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't hate anyone. I'm quite an easy going guy.

I used to hate thatcher, but she's dead and had a long drawn out decline that we got to watch. Which was funny. So that's had some closure.

Can't be bothered to dislike the Smiths or Morris. A moody teenage bedroom sulk of irrelevance in the house of pop.

TBH, I'm the same. I just like trolling Smiths fans. 

I always used to say that the three people I hated most were Tony Blackburn, Margaret Thatcher and Doug Ellis, but I'm not really bothered anymore. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I hate Stuart Broad. 

I'm of the opinion that he's probably a bit of a knob, I think Graeme Swann is probably even worse. They've contributed to some wonderful memories for me though, so could never bring myself to hate them.

• Like 1

I dont really hate the smiths. I dont like the smiths. I hate johnny marr though. word removed. Doesnt stop me appreciating what they did for the music of my youth. 

Edited by Seat68

49 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I'm of the opinion that he's probably a bit of a knob, I think Graeme Swann is probably even worse. They've contributed to some wonderful memories for me though, so could never bring myself to hate them.

Swanny, yes, sure. I like Stuart Broad, though. Seems like (from all the interviews etc. I've heard him do) that he's absolutely sound. But I also agree, brilliant cricketers who've brought some proper good memories. I find it really hard to have any hate for any cricketers, they all seem alright to me - certainly far below a level of irrational (or rational) hatred.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

TBH, I'm the same. I just like trolling Smiths fans. 

I always used to say that the three people I hated most were Tony Blackburn, Margaret Thatcher and Doug Ellis, but I'm not really bothered anymore. 

Why the hate for Blackburn? 

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I don't really think you can blame The Smiths for the relative lack of success of The Woodentops, even though I too liked the latter.  Every now and again a band just comes and along and defines the era, whether you like them or not.  The Smiths were *the* alternative band of the mid 1980s, a bit like you could argue Oasis were a decade later.  There may have been better bands around (there certainly were in the Britpop years) but still, certain bands just seemed to dominate proceedings.  I'm obviously rather biased where The Smiths are concerned, but to me they were just about the perfect band that I still listen to now on a regular basis. 

Well, you can because as I said Rough Trade concentrated heavily on the Smiths and when the Woodentops were getting a lot of exposure in the Press and on Radio 1, Rough Trade never got any records into the shops because The Smiths always came first. So, on the one hand, yes you're right it wasn't really The Smiths fault but on the other, it was because of The Smiths existing on the same label and the label wasn't capable of pushing a second act out at the right times, when they were getting the press and the airplay. RT wasn't capable of it. I'll admit it's not completely rational but it's always something that's irked me

17 minutes ago, Risso said:

Swann comes across as a right arse in my opinion.  Stuart Broad much less so.  Broad is obviously a bit of a lad, but seems a fairly decent sort to me.

Yeah Swann is an absolute tool, I can fully sympathise with Pietersen falling out with him and some of the others.  Talking of cricketers I hate, I don't think anyone will surpass Jacques Kallis.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well, you can because as I said Rough Trade concentrated heavily on the Smiths and when the Woodentops were getting a lot of exposure in the Press and on Radio 1, Rough Trade never got any records into the shops because The Smiths always came first. So, on the one hand, yes you're right it wasn't really The Smiths fault but on the other, it was because of The Smiths existing on the same label and the label wasn't capable of pushing a second act out at the right times, when they were getting the press and the airplay. RT wasn't capable of it. I'll admit it's not completely rational but it's always something that's irked me

Record label in promoting the most popular alternative band of the eighties shock!

The Woodentops weren't bad, but even with the entire marketing budget of Sony or EMI at their disposal, they wouldn't have been as big as The Smiths.  Just not as good, sorry. 

i mentioned earlier in the thread my dislike for preachy vegans and this is why....

cant stand Jeremy vine either but for once he’s been out clearing in the woods!!! 

I have no issues with people making food choices but to be so vitriolic about it is insane. 

Isnt morrisey a vegan? (Probably explains a lot ;) )

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Risso said:

but even with the entire marketing budget of Sony or EMI at their disposal, they wouldn't have been as big as The Smiths.  Just not as good, sorry. 

There you go absolutely distorting what people say to suit some bizarre argument you think you're having

25 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

i mentioned earlier in the thread my dislike for preachy vegans and this is why....

cant stand Jeremy vine either but for once he’s been out clearing in the woods!!! 

I have no issues with people making food choices but to be so vitriolic about it is insane. 

Isnt morrisey a vegan? (Probably explains a lot ;) )

you’d expect him to be Carbstrong with the lack of protein in his diet.

• Haha 1

That tattoo is almost as bad as the one a bloke in work has got that makes me irritable on sight

It's an eye, a heart, a house and a semiquaver all in a line.

roughly in the same position as Vegan up there, which is why it reminded me

Â