"I Hate Their Guts"

NurembergVillan

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It may not be your bag but I'm genuinely amazed by what you've said. Wow.

I’d be more amazed if I wasn’t the only person who had never heard it before tbh ... though I understand from wiki it was realeased as a single all be it in 1966 .... there’s a lot of stuff from that era I’ve missed tbf 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Thinking about it, I'll extend my hatred of The Smiths to the whole of Manchester. Their football teams, their attempts to brand themselves the second city, the lot. 

Nuke it. 

I'm with you Moonster. I hate the whole culture. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Ah you’re missing out on some great stuff. For me, “Bridge over troubled water” isn’t typical of their stuff (although I do like that song).

For me, “I am a Rock” is far more representative of Simon & Garfunkel‘s music.

But y’know, each to his own etc etc

Was just looking at their song list ....I just found out they wrote “Hazy shade of winter “  , I always assumed the Bagles wrote that :blush:

Edited by tonyh29
Edit - should be Bangles but following robs post I’ll leave it as originally was !!
  • Haha 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I’d be more amazed if I wasn’t the only person who had never heard it before tbh ... though I understand from wiki it was realeased as a single all be it in 1966 .... there’s a lot of stuff from that era I’ve missed tbf 

I think you're being a bit silly. I wasn't suggesting that you were the 'only person who had never heard it before'.

I'm just genuinely amazed that, given your vintage (similar to mine), you haven't come across it; that, even though it's not your bag, you haven't a friend, acquaintance or family member who may have at least had the Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits album and have played it in your presence even if you haven't queued for hours simply to buy a record that came out as a single some half a dozen years before you were born. It may well be betraying more about me than it is about you, I'll grant.

I'm just very surprised you hadn't heard the song until a few months ago: I didn't suggest you were living under a rock.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Was just looking at their song list ....I just found out they wrote “Hazy shade of winter “  , I always assumed the Bagles wrote that :blush:

Cool band bro

baron-bagels-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think you're being a bit silly. I wasn't suggesting that you were the 'only person who had never heard it before'.

I'm just genuinely amazed that, given your vintage (similar to mine), you haven't come across it; that, even though it's not your bag, you haven't a friend, acquaintance or family member who may have at least had the Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits album and have played it in your presence even if you haven't queued for hours simply to buy a record that came out as a single some half a dozen years before you were born. It may well be betraying more about me than it is about you, I'll grant.

I'm just very surprised you hadn't heard the song until a few months ago: I didn't suggest you were living under a rock.

I don’t get your first paragraph , i hadn’t even thought of your last sentence  ,  I was just saying there is a lot of music I’ve never heard  

my dads record collection pretty much consisted of Slade , The Beatles and Steeleye Span ... my mum Cliff  Richard ... it’s safe to say I didn’t grow up in a music loving family 

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don’t get your first paragraph

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’d be more amazed if I wasn’t the only person who had never heard it before tbh ...

:bang:

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

it’s safe to say I didn’t grow up in a music loving family 

tbf, it's safe to say that you missed anything decent in the 80s, too. :trollface:

Edited by snowychap

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That would involve me having to listen to some **** ing Smiths tracks, so I'll pass. 

If you are telling me that Johnny Marr came up with that sound, and would like me to apologise, I would certainly be willing to pretend to.  :)

I still despise them though. 

Oh, and whoever at Penguin books authorised Morrissey's autoeroticbiography being not only published, but published under the Penguin Classics imprint, should have been fired on the spot. 

Brilliant! Claims that The Smiths are utterly derivative based on the fact that Marr plays the same guitar as somebody else. That’s quite a reason for hating a band.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

Brilliant! Claims that The Smiths are utterly derivative based on the fact that Marr plays the same guitar as somebody else. That’s quite a reason for hating a band.

And that's a complete misrepresentation of what Mike actually said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I don’t think I’ve heard it either, although it’s possible my mum would have had the album on when I was a kid. Decent enough track though.

• Like 1

Â