"I Hate Their Guts"

NurembergVillan

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

And that's a complete misrepresentation of what Mike actually said.

Thank you. The same guitar. The same amp. The same effects pedal. The same picking technique. The same chord changes. It's legendary. 

I have no problem with him doing that, it's a sound I love. Other musicians have borrowed it to good effect - Tom Petty, Peter Buck of REM, a great British band called Starry Eyed and Laughing ., and many others. All have enthused about the Byrds influence, and paid fulsome tribute to McGuinn. But there's a whole generation of Smiths fans who revere "the distinctive Johnny Marr sound", as if he invented it, sui generis. And, far from educating them, he lets them believe it, and laps up the adoration. 

Good musician, but not one I'd want to have a beer with. 

• Like 1

I was not aware of the Byrds rip off tbf. I am aware of the adulation that Marr gets though. I've never paid much attention to it, because I don't like the smiths. I've seen countless music programmes where they big him up, and read countless magazines where they have him as this cult hero of the guitar. 

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

To be fair to Johnny Marr, he’s only remembered for The Smiths. His style in The The a band he was in for longer than The Smiths bears no resemblance

Yeah, I accept this. He's a reasonably versatile musician, and refreshingly free off widdly widdly lead guitar excess (although in the right hands I like that too). There is much to be said for the understated guitar. 

I still think he's a clearing in the woods, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Has Marr ever mentioned any influences? I swear he used to big the pistols up at one point. 

He usually cites Rory Gallagher as a huge influence on him

i saw Marr live the other year , decent gig , his singing isn’t the best but it’s not terrible 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Thank you. The same guitar. The same amp. The same effects pedal. The same picking technique. The same chord changes. It's legendary. 

I’ve literally just read an interview with him where claims “it was a big sound. And it was only when the press started mentioning the Byrds that I went and checked the Byrds out”

seems he is as shameless as you say 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve literally just read an interview with him where claims “it was a big sound. And it was only when the press started mentioning the Byrds that I went and checked the Byrds out”

Unless, you know, that's exactly what he did?  I find it very hard to believe that everything was as identical as Mike says?  Same effects pedals and amps?  Exactly the same, like guitarists only ever use one of each?  

Music doesn't exist in a vacuum, and so guitar music is never going to sound like a brass band.  I contend that other than being "jangly guitar" the overall sound of The Smiths, far from being a shameless Byrds rip off is nothing like them whatsoever.  Unless somebody really thinks that Mr Tambourine Man sounds like How Soon is Now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Unless, you know, that's exactly what he did?  I find it very hard to believe that everything was as identical as Mike says?  Same effects pedals and amps?  Exactly the same, like guitarists only ever use one of each?  

Music doesn't exist in a vacuum, and so guitar music is never going to sound like a brass band.  I contend that other than being "jangly guitar" the overall sound of The Smiths, far from being a shameless Byrds rip off is nothing like them whatsoever.  Unless somebody really thinks that Mr Tambourine Man sounds like How Soon is Now.

Tbf MJ knows his music and where he lists things as being identical I’ve no real reason to doubt him 

which of course does sorta infer Marr is lying , which is also a bit strange as he seems quite open to talk about his influences like Rory Gallagher without mentioning the Byrds ... guess only Marr really knows the answer 

for my untrained ear most music I hear sounds like it’s been influenced by another source  it would be difficult not to I guess , some of it is blatant lonesome tears in my eyes v Ballard of John and Yoko , some of it is subtle influences ie Amps and pedals ...i even recall watching a documentary once where it turned out one of Beethoven’s prices was influenced by the song of a nightingale when the 2 pieces were analyised together !!

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf MJ knows his music and where he lists things as being identical I’ve no real reason to doubt him 

which of course does sorta infer Marr is lying , which is also a bit strange as he seems quite open to talk about his influences like Rory Gallagher without mentioning the Byrds ... guess only Marr really knows the answer 

for my untrained ear most music I hear sounds like it’s been influenced by another source  it would be difficult not to I guess , some of it is blatant lonesome tears in my eyes v Ballard of John and Yoko , some of it is subtle influences ie Amps and pedals ...i even recall watching a documentary once where it turned out one of Beethoven’s prices was influenced by the song of a nightingale when the 2 pieces were analyised together !!

I'm disappointed in you there Tone.  Massive opportunity for a play on "only Smarties have the answer".

Where's @drat01 when you need him?

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Sorry, but I call bullshit on that. 

And the Rory Gallagher thing is laughable if he's claiming anything beyond admiring him (which at least shows good taste). There is not a trace of Rory in Marr's playing. 

My judgement is still out on John Squire. I do like him a LOT as a guitarist. He, too, started out with that jangly Rickenbacker style - it was all over the Stone Roses debut. I guess he may have even got it from Marr, but knowing what a guitar geek he is, I suspect that he was a Byrds fan. I've never seen him interviewed, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. On Second Coming, you could hear his extended influences very clearly - the opening track alone is basically "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be..." Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Green, Dave Gilmour, and probably a few others (maybe even a bit of Rory, I'd have to go back and check). Does it all damn well, too. 

Â